How do I get her to not overfeed my bird?

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
My Sun loves to eat and is always looking for a handout, and my mother likes to give her snacks during the day, but I worry about her overfeeding her. I just found out she was giving my Sun lots of pine nuts in a given a day. When I asked how many she was like: "I give her like 10", which I think is waaaaaaaay too much.

She laughed at me when I told her I would not go over 2 a day.

Is there any snack that she can give her that can't be overfed?. I don't think I can trust her with pine nuts.

My Sun is almost 20 years old.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I crush pine nuts in my fingers and only give tiny schnibbles to Salty during his training sessions. If your bird is very active a few more pine nuts then 2 during 1 day shouldn;t be that bad.

TeekoGreenCheek

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 22, 2023
Media
Parrots
Conure Green Cheek
I make a chop. Every bird is different "which I just posted that in another forum" lol. I can't say it enough. Some like certain things some don't! But you want my advice? Make a bird chop. Why? Because Parrots need veggies and all types of seeds. And you never will worry about over feeding. It takes alot of extra work! But that comes with the price of having a loving companion. ❤️ so I make Teekos chop with atleast 5 veggies. 2 to 3 different peppers. And some seeds which I add at the end. Like I sprinkle it like salt. And brown rice but ONLY in a small portion. So I'll blend his chop. And after everything is done. I'll grab 2 baggies. And a ice cube tray. I'll fill each ice cube compartment with the chop and put it in the baggie and put it in the fridge and. That ONE ice cube portion is the perfect amount 👌. I'll store the rest that I didn't use in a baggie in the freezer. So when he runs out. I'll thaw it out! I use frozen veggies. Because it's quicker and, trying to wash pesticides off veggies can be tough. And it's dangerous for birds. So, that way through out the day he can have treats. Like fruit and sunflower seeds. 🌻 I hope this helps! Which if your sun is 20 years old that's really good! And you must be feeding right

Most Reactions

Latest posts