how do I get my bird to let me near it's cage?

T1red

Nov 16, 2022
Parrots
conure
I follow the advice of sitting near the cage for a while daily, and talk to him, but whenever I get near the cage even just to go thru the door the cage is next to he tries to bite me or screams at me. feeding him always ends in more bites. I'm trying to bond with him, but idk how to get close enough to the cage for him to want that. Treats aren't an option because he throws them on the floor if I try to give them to him, even though he'll accept them outside the cage. what do I do? nothing seems to be working, ik it's only been a few weeks but I can't even be in the same room without him giving me a look like he wants to kill me.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
LOL Patience is the answer I'm afraid. They can be very territorial, add to that that his cage is probably his safe space and any invader however loved on the outside is only there to be repelled. Even now after over 5 years Syd will get very spiteful if the mood takes him. Some things have to be done like cleaning etc so my answer is to have another 'holding' cage. Syd sleeps in a different cage and room so once he's in bed I am free to do whatever is needed to his day cage without risk of a painful death!
If he doesn't like your hands then use a piece of perch rather than risk amputation but the answer is really to take your time and gradually gain his trust. Some trust quickly while others can take forever it seems. Try to make sure that you always act in a way that doesn't frighten. Always tell him what you are going to do in simple language phrased the same way each time. I always tell Syd - will you go in your cage while I go and shower/cook lunch/do some gardening/go shopping and would you like treat? He has learned those phrases - will often answer 'OK' wait for me to have the treat in my hand and off he will go accepting to treat once he's on his perch.
Good luck!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So one way to desensitize the parrot - walk into the room and place a chair as close to the cage as possible WITHOUT the parrot getting upset. If he gets upset, move the chair back until he calms down. Notice where the chair is. While seated, read to him, does not matter what, but should be in a calm and soothing voice. An excellent idea is to read him the "I Love Amazons" thread in our Amazons sub forum, it has tons of very useful information that is applicable to ALL parrots. The idea is to move the chair just a little bit closer each day. It may not be much, a few inches? But it will progress. Also helps if you have a dedicated little food cup in his cage and every time you pass the cage, drop a small favored treat in the cup. He will learn tht good things come from you, trust me. It may take weeks or in the extreme cases months but it will happen!

Rosalindagg

Sep 19, 2022
Parrots
Cockatiel, Conure, Parakeets
Time and patience is the answer! We have had parakeets in the living room for about 4 years now and typically my dad is the one who feeds them and changes their water bowl. They remain calm whenever he opens the cage door. However when I open the cage door for whatever reason they freak out and fly everywhere! Even if I have have a treat in my hand. So over time your bird will learn to not be scared of you and start to trust you! If he accepts treats with your hand outside the cage keep doing that to build trust!

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
What species? Some birds are naturally hand shy, some are .......well I think there is something to each species. Knowing the breed would help.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I follow the advice of sitting near the cage for a while daily, and talk to him, but whenever I get near the cage even just to go thru the door the cage is next to he tries to bite me or screams at me. feeding him always ends in more bites. I'm trying to bond with him, but idk how to get close enough to the cage for him to want that. Treats aren't an option because he throws them on the floor if I try to give them to him, even though he'll accept them outside the cage. what do I do? nothing seems to be working, ik it's only been a few weeks but I can't even be in the same room without him giving me a look like he wants to kill me.
Parrots understand the power of a dirty look, usually given by one eye at a time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts