How do i make moving a smooth ride for Albie

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
We are looking at moving soon , we are looking for a nicer ,bigger home (more space for albie to zoom around )

But how do we make it a smooth trasition for him ? Do we "pack "him up last and take him as our final trip over once weve got all our boxes and furniture moved into the new place ?

I want to make it as least stressful as possible for him as it will be a huge change .

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We completed a major move, now over eight years ago. We elected to build as we wanted very specific access requirements that a Universal (ADA compliant) home. would provide. What we did was to take Julio (DYHA) every time we visited the work site. When moving days began, he came along and watched as stuff from the old place began to fill the new place. Much the same as allowing your Parrot to be part of the assembly of a new cage. The more they are involved the easier the transition becomes.

If distance is an issue, and moving is a single big event, they load last and move in first. That way they see the move out and are part of the move in! Yes, it take more effort, but they are far more comfortable with what is happening.

Enjoy!!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Thank you, depending on the plan we may well move albie in first then as we are only about 20 mins away and i honest cant see it taking too many trips to move all our stuff

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Excellent advice above! I haven't had to move with mine, but as they are all rescues, there's definitely a level of stress over the change for them. I agree though, anything you can do that involves them in the process makes the transition easier. Best of luck with the move and the new home! :)

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I agree that if possible taking him to the new house for a couple of visits as you move in would help. I actually did this same thing with my dogs when we moved about 6 years ago. I took them to the new house for about 30 mins or so a few times before move in day. It really helped them adjust. I imagine it’d work well for a birdie too!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
When we moved it was during the winter, so we moved the birds in last. The house was freezing while we were unloading, and there was a blizzard which made things worse.
They all settled in pretty quickly once we got them set up, even my most nervous birds. By doing them last I had time to spend with them to let them know that the house was the only thing that had changed.
As long as Albie knows you are with him I think he will adjust quickly.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I cant think of a reason whybhe wouldnt ,i mean he settled in super quick with my mother in law when he went to hers for 2 weeks
Oh, I think he will be just fine! It will be great for him, so many new things to look at:)

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I agree. The most important thing is that he keeps the most familiar, positive thing to him... You! :)

I know there's so many birds out there that have trouble adjusting to ANYTHING new. I freely admit I've been insanely lucky with mine by comparison, as they all settled in very well, and largely with zero issue. In my mind, that shows me that not all change is bad or difficult. Stitch, you strike me as one with a consistently positive attitude. Maintain that and Albie will feed off of it and be just fine :)

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
When I moved, several years ago, I think it helped that Lucy Quaker could see our old furniture showing up in the new apartment.

Lucy was fine with me through several moves in her lifetime. But she seemed mostly to want to be with me. Lucy was quite an outgoing bird.

I had a bird who was rehomed to me. When we moved back to my home state, the bird got very upset and tore out his feathers. I think if you have a bird who has been rehomed a few times you may want to keep the move really smooth. If your bird is securely bonded to you, maybe you don’t need to worry so much.

Most Reactions

Latest posts