How many lives?

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
It is a lovely sunny morning here today so I wheeled Syd's cage into the open doorway to enjoy a look outside. He was quiet and perhaps a little wary since it has been a long Winter since he last enjoyed the view from there.

I had a long phone call and was just a few feet away and out of sight but I could hear him chirruping happily. I don't know what prompted it but I glanced around the corner and saw him still chirruping happily standing on top of his cage at the open doorway!

He looked at me and I looked at him. I couldn't close the door without moving the cage. I reached up to him but he wasn't disposed to step up. Slowly and very gently I rolled the cage from the doorway, squeezed by and carefully closed the door. All the while he simply gazed at me from his lofty perch.

I then realised that he had got out through the food bowl gate which I must have left open when I cleaned his cage last night. (He was asleep in his sleep cage) He had spent at least 2 hours in there this morning before I moved him to the doorway.

I am just about breathing again and he is sitting comfortably on my shoulder. How many lives do parrots have?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm so happy he is safe!
I zip tie everything before taking the cage out, including the bottom grate

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm not sure whether Parrot's have a string of lives available to them as cats seem to have. The sad reality, as you well know, is that the Companion Parrot deck seems to be stacked against them.

Very happy that your Parrot elected to enjoy the moment on top of the cage!

Luck was certainly a Lady for the both of you today!

OP
T00tsyd

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
It was his expression that floored me. Very calm just surveying me while I tried valiantly to keep just as calm knowing full well that normally movement of his cage would send him onto the wing. My heart was in my mouth! The thought of how long he might have been contemplating his next move... I just think he must really love me! Or maybe he just likes the food! :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a great save! Hard to know Syd's thinking, probably a combination of many factors by whatever means the avian brain processes. (and it certainly does!) I don't believe every parrot is going to bolt the moment "freedom" beckons. Thankfully Syd made the right decision!!

Last edited:

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Oof! I think the more important question might be how many lives a parront has, because you've obviously just used up one of yours with that heart attack. So glad Sid likes the food at your place!

Most Reactions