How much do you spend per year on your parrots?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Since I started using a calculator to keep track of how much I spend on my flock, I was just wondering how much OTHERS spend :)
And if this gets a LOT of responses, I will start showing this thread to anybody who says parrots are very cheap to own lol

I'll start:
I have two amazons, three budgies, a senegal, and a parrotlet, none of which are special needs birds. I think I spend about 10,000 USD per year on my flock, lol.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Probably around a thousand for my whole flock of 9 birds but I get them a lot of treat sticks and treats and toys.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
No idea, honestly. Probably way less then most people. I'll do an estimate or something a bit later.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Probably around a thousand for my whole flock of 9 birds but I get them a lot of treat sticks and treats and toys.
I didn't include vet visits....so like 200 more.

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
I have two an eclectus and amazon. The amazon was a rescue that was sick. His vet bills so far this year have been just a little over $800. Eclectus yearly check up is around $200. If you don't count play tree perches, cages, travel carriers, or the 8 foot net since I am hoping those will a few years. I would say I average around $250 a month on toys and food. Another $400 a year on boarding fees for when I travel. If everything goes as planned, I would say somewhere around $4,000 a year for the two.
But seeing your amount makes me feel way better...LOL

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh, you mean less the food, toys and medical costs? My total comes to around nothing, zero, nada, zilch or bubkise. Now, if we start to count time invested, well that figure goes up exponentially,
TIME = MONEY. However you slice it, keeping parrots is a big investment for anyone to make. It's almost like owning a boat, in that if you need to ask how much, it's likely too much for.you. Same principle applies here, except this one bites occasionally.

All IMHO of course, YRMV.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Hm if I had to guess probably between $1,700 - $2,000 going forward for my single bird. I subscribe to Squakbox for toys… and buy more as well. Pellets, seeds, dried fruit, millet, etc. Vet bills. Poop Off.

This past year I started from scratch when I brought Ona home and I got A LOT of stuff. Big cage, perches, travel cage, play gyms, so so many toys, training gear etc. So this past year I’ve spent way more but it was all upfront first bird expenses. For such a little thing she sure needs a lot of stuff!

I don’t even want to calculate what my dogs cost per year - oof.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Since I started using a calculator to keep track of how much I spend on my flock, I was just wondering how much OTHERS spend :)
And if this gets a LOT of responses, I will start showing this thread to anybody who says parrots are very cheap to own lol

I'll start:
I have two amazons, three budgies, a senegal, and a parrotlet, none of which are special needs birds. I think I spend about 10,000 USD per year on my flock, lol.
$10,000? Yikes! That's almost my husband's whole SS check! I have eight budgies and I routinely spend about $1,000 on vet care and another $1,500 on food, toys, and miscellaneous other stuff. That doesn't count the years I've made major purchases for them, like new cages. I don't think I COULD spend $10,000 a year on my bunch of budgies but I could certainly try!
Let's see.
New larger 36x36x36 plexiglass cages

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
It's really hard for me to work out so I'd say excluding medical stuff maybe around $1,000? That's outside of any thing "special", like last year I spent a couple hundred on some good quality SS toys.
Medical stuff would be even harder to work out so I don't know about that.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, Julio visits his Vet every month and as a result, I have elected to add his expense to our tax documentation under medical expensive for this year.

We have for a very long time budgeted our Amazon expense as it is just much easier to deal with the costs that 'now' push over 8500 big ones each year thanks to inflation.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Well, Julio visits his Vet every month and as a result, I have elected to add his expense to our tax documentation under medical expensive for this year.

We have for a very long time budgeted our Amazon expense as it is just much easier to deal with the costs that 'now' push over 8500 big ones each year thanks to inflation.
A tax deductible pet bird?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Well this year I’ve spent close to $1000 though, both Striga and Tom had to be taken to the vet which added up to $300.
I estimate the rest.
I made chop twice so $80
I ordered toys 3-4 times so $400.
I bought dry foods so probably $200.

So maybe I spend $600-1000 every 3-4 months?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Salty is a tax deductible stage prop.
Oh! I thought you were either joking, the most creative tax evader I've ever heard of, or a bit nuts! Or maybe you knew something I didn't. Could you imagine having to explain to the IRS that Julio, the dependent listed on your returns, is a parrot?

OP
foxgloveparrot

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Thanks for the responses, everyone :)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oh wow, I don't even want to know a complete total. We spend around $900/month just on food.

Most Reactions