How much to feed, sprouts and nutrient levels

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
I have a 3 month old Cobalt Blue parrotlet. I'm currently feeding a mix of Harrisons High Potency Superfine and Tops mini pellets, Avian Organics Mini Garden feast (it's a mix of seeds, dried veg), and well, trying fresh veg and fruit. I'm concerned that I am not feeding him enough or that he isn't eating enough.

I give him 2 tsp of the pellet mix, 1 tsp of the seed mix. I made a veg/fruit mash that I top with the seed mix to get him to eat. So probably 1 tsp of the mash. But he doesn't eat all of it. He probably eats most of the seed, 1/2 of the pellets and some of the mash. I will be mixing the mash or chop as I learn what to mix.

It doesn't seem like enough so what do I do? The breeder said she fed fresh food as well as seed and pellets. Should I supplement with a handfeeding formula? I have been trying to encourage by handfeeding him the food. I sometimes leave the pellets out alone and the seed mix and mash in another bowl or I'll mix the seed mix with the pellets too.

Also, I do want to feed him sprouted seeds and grain as it is apparently more nutritious. When the seeds and grains sprout, do I cook them and feed the seed with the sprout?

Does anyone know what are the optimal nutrient levels for parrotlets?

I would greatly appreciate your help!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have a 3 month old Cobalt Blue parrotlet. I'm currently feeding a mix of Harrisons High Potency Superfine and Tops mini pellets, Avian Organics Mini Garden feast (it's a mix of seeds, dried veg), and well, trying fresh veg and fruit. I'm concerned that I am not feeding him enough or that he isn't eating enough.
I think that's okay, that's a lot of variety! If he eats all of it, then that's perfect! You'll just need to feed him fresh veggies as well :)
I give him 2 tsp of the pellet mix, 1 tsp of the seed mix. I made a veg/fruit mash that I top with the seed mix to get him to eat. So probably 1 tsp of the mash. But he doesn't eat all of it. He probably eats most of the seed, 1/2 of the pellets and some of the mash. I will be mixing the mash or chop as I learn what to mix.
Maybe you can take out the seed/pellets while he eats the veggies, after about 15-30 min after, no longer than that to prevent him from starving himself.
It doesn't seem like enough so what do I do? The breeder said she fed fresh food as well as seed and pellets. Should I supplement with a handfeeding formula? I have been trying to encourage by handfeeding him the food. I sometimes leave the pellets out alone and the seed mix and mash in another bowl or I'll mix the seed mix with the pellets too.
You need to feed him formula while weaning him. Never forcefully wean them, let them choose when to stop eating formula. You can leave some food in the cage for him to eat if he wants to.
Also, I do want to feed him sprouted seeds and grain as it is apparently more nutritious. When the seeds and grains sprout, do I cook them and feed the seed with the sprout?
You know, a little bit of plain seed is perfectly fine. Don't believe people when they say, "Seed is terrible, never feed it!". A small bit of seed is fine :) just don't make it a main part of the diet. Birds need at least 10% seed in their diet. It contains a lot of essential fatty acids and other nutrients only found in seed. Sprouts are very healthy though, it's good as a dietary supplement. You can give it to him every 1-2 days. Soaking seeds also make them healthy, kinda like sprouts.
Does anyone know what are the optimal nutrient levels for parrotlets?
I don't know a lot about parrotlets, but generally, parrots need 50-70% fresh goodies such as vegetables, sprouts, herbs, cooked/sprouted seeds and/or grains, etc., and the rest should be grains, seed, dried veggies/fruit(optional), dried herbs/spices(optional but very healthy), flowers(optional), etc. Pellets are not necessary but you can feed them if desired, just avoid flavourings, colourings, sugar, salt, and soy/peanuts(if possible, if Harrisons is a minor part of the diet that is OK, I just don't believe animals should live on mostly processed foods.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Best way to know if your parrot is eating enough and also to know the state of his health is to weigh him daily at the same time everyday (after 1st poop and before breakfast) and keep a record of it. An inexpensive kitchen scale and aT stand will make it easy. Get one that reads out in grams. Sick parrots loose weight rapidly.

OP
F

Flipgirl24

Nov 11, 2021
Pip,
Thank you so much for your response! I tried just the fresh food first and he ate more than he usually does! So great idea on feeding one first then waiting. I feel better about what I am feeding though I think I will phase out the Harrisons as I am concerned about the soy. And yes processed food is not what I want him to eat as a main course! The Tops pellets seem to be good as they are cold pressed and don't have sugar, colourings, flavourings, or BHt. I do want to feed him mainly fresh foods but I want to make sure he is getting the proper nutrients.

At 3 months old, he should be weaned no? I don't know...I only asked that because if he wasn't eating enough, I thought maybe feeding him a handfeeding formula would at least give him the nutrition that he needs or at least a boost.

Thanks again for your help!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Pip,
Thank you so much for your response! I tried just the fresh food first and he ate more than he usually does! So great idea on feeding one first then waiting. I feel better about what I am feeding though I think I will phase out the Harrisons as I am concerned about the soy. And yes processed food is not what I want him to eat as a main course! The Tops pellets seem to be good as they are cold pressed and don't have sugar, colourings, flavourings, or BHt. I do want to feed him mainly fresh foods but I want to make sure he is getting the proper nutrients.
Harrisons, you can feed it, just not a lot of it, you can always keep it as a treat or an extra instead of just throwing it away
At 3 months old, he should be weaned no? I don't know...I only asked that because if he wasn't eating enough, I thought maybe feeding him a handfeeding formula would at least give him the nutrition that he needs or at least a boost.
If you notice he doesn't eat as much, you can give him some formula, until he eats fully on his own.

He'll choose when he is ready to stop eating formula :)
Thanks again for your help!
You're welcome :)

Most Reactions