How My Bird Saved Me

doodoopants

Feb 11, 2022
Parrots
Parakeet
Hello, I am a young person who owns a parakeet name Pongo. I donโ€™t expect myself to use this website as a daily thing. Tbh this is my first time going on a message board/forum of some sort, it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to post my own post.

This is something I want to openly express about my dear pet who I consider my best friend, Pongo.

For the longest time, I have dealt with mental health issues. Depression and anxiety ( more specifically social anxiety ) it effected me and my daily life. I constantly had suicidal thoughts, had a very negative perspective on things, had bad panic attacks, I always belittled myself, and much more. It was a very miserable time when my mental health was at its worst, especially during the pandemic. But thank god for therapy and medications I eventually received.

But even though I was now being treated and slowly got better, I still struggled with my mental issues at times, just less intense nowadays. When Pongo came into my life during the summer of 2019, I think I can confidently say things have got a little bright for me.
Before I start mainly talking about him; I have owned other pet birds in my life but none of them have lasted long due to the fact I had to leave them behind. Plus I didnโ€™t have them for too long, at most only for a year. I still miss them though.

To describe Pongo, heโ€™s almost the embodiment of me. Loud , kinda gay (I will elaborate on that sometime soon), and extremely talkative. But the most admirable thing about him is how heโ€™s affectionate and loyal.

Heโ€™s always wants to be by my side, always giving me kisses and cuddling me. He follows me around the house, even in the bathroom when I have to take a poop! It came to the point where im googling if this is how birds really express their love for their owners.

I have more countless things to describe what he does that makes me love him so much. I take showers with him, I take naps with him, I play hide n seek with him, I watch the TV with him, he crawls on my face even though his claws hurt, he likes it when I rattle my antidepressants bottle like a toy, always nesting on the top of my hair; at this point it just everything he does is what makes me love him so dearly.

Now you probably asking now, โ€œOk so what do you mean your bird saved your life according to the tittle of this post?โ€

When I was talking to my therapist one session, she asked me what are one of the things I appreciate in my life. One of this things was Pongo. She asked why,

โ€œWell heโ€™s the only thing that keeps me from killing myselfโ€

As morbid as it sounds, i do mean it genuinely.

After saying that, I realize he really does keep me content , he keeps me going. So the thought of committing suicide one day while heโ€™s still here hurts me a lot, and how much it would hurt for him.

The things he does I mentioned; thinking about it now makes me realize how much he loves me. Or how much he sees me as someone he feels safe with. Knowing that just makes me want to cry, even looking at him makes me cry a little bit. Not because he super duper adorable, but because how much I really adore this bird.

It a question I ask myself sometimes ; How does a little bird from petsmart that only cost 20 bucks make me this happy?

I wish to ramble more about how Pongo changed my life, but I have written too much now.

To those who read this whole post, thank you so much. And please; take care of your pets.

Attachments

• 82A7EF6D-185B-4181-AA03-C092FE1AA8ED.jpeg
    82A7EF6D-185B-4181-AA03-C092FE1AA8ED.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 41ADC562-D891-4D76-9DDE-35A76ED9FE6A.jpeg
    41ADC562-D891-4D76-9DDE-35A76ED9FE6A.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 2352B7D4-5A61-4361-BCF0-75E0CE575A8F.jpeg
    2352B7D4-5A61-4361-BCF0-75E0CE575A8F.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 005BF9BB-12F6-438D-837E-6DE340A6C133.jpeg
    005BF9BB-12F6-438D-837E-6DE340A6C133.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 144
  • 032DC236-2746-44EF-B3C5-2B7EFF307305.jpeg
    032DC236-2746-44EF-B3C5-2B7EFF307305.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 131
  • C3F8A245-4A2A-48F2-9BCA-C8DD669970AD.jpeg
    C3F8A245-4A2A-48F2-9BCA-C8DD669970AD.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 126
  • A969C461-9C5D-4ADE-BC12-9672FFB57454.jpeg
    A969C461-9C5D-4ADE-BC12-9672FFB57454.jpeg
    167.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 59169CFD-B511-4479-B3ED-AC4961E3FE18.jpeg
    59169CFD-B511-4479-B3ED-AC4961E3FE18.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 129
  • E02B366A-5C63-45D4-A88D-78CF0768580B.jpeg
    E02B366A-5C63-45D4-A88D-78CF0768580B.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 129
  • 3648A426-9FDC-4338-98F9-2523B9561AA7.jpeg
    3648A426-9FDC-4338-98F9-2523B9561AA7.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 249BCC5E-6ED5-469B-9319-D8F3936759BB.jpeg
    249BCC5E-6ED5-469B-9319-D8F3936759BB.jpeg
    254.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 5472E050-71BF-461C-839B-9E30FD558B98.jpeg
    5472E050-71BF-461C-839B-9E30FD558B98.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5233.mp4
    1.2 MB
Last edited by a moderator:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Aww, this melted my heart. Birds are the sweetest, smartest little angels and I'm so glad you're ok because of your Pongo. They act as my emotional support birbies too, and if it weren't for them I wouldn't be here typing this.
The love that I can see in those photos is amazing. You're clearly a great owner, and you and Pongo have a beautiful bond.
Getting birds didn't "cure" my suicidal ideation. But it helped it and they still are such an important part of my life. It's amazing how much impact a 35-gram fluffball can have.
Thanks for sharing โค๏ธ

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I want to welcome you and Pongo to the forum. I'm so sorry you have struggled with depression and anxiety. I do as well, and it is not an easy thing to deal with. I'm so happy to hear that you are doing better, and that Pongo is there by your side, helping you through the hard times.
My birds also help me, and they do many others here as well.
I hope you will stick around, I think you will find the forum to be a place where we care about each other, as well as caring about each other birds:)

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Hello, I am a 16 year old who owns a parakeet name Pongo. I donโ€™t expect myself to use this website as a daily thing. Tbh this is my first time going on a message board/forum of some sort, it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to post my own post.

This is something I want to openly express about my dear pet who I consider my best friend, Pongo.

For the longest time, I have dealt with mental health issues. Depression and anxiety ( more specifically social anxiety ) it effected me and my daily life. I constantly had suicidal thoughts, had a very negative perspective on things, had bad panic attacks, I always belittled myself, and much more. It was a very miserable time when my mental health was at its worst, especially during the pandemic. But thank god for therapy and medications I eventually received.

But even though I was now being treated and slowly got better, I still struggled with my mental issues at times, just less intense nowadays. When Pongo came into my life during the summer of 2019, I think I can confidently say things have got a little bright for me.
Before I start mainly talking about him; I have owned other pet birds in my life but none of them have lasted long due to the fact I had to leave them behind. Plus I didnโ€™t have them for too long, at most only for a year. I still miss them though.

To describe Pongo, heโ€™s almost the embodiment of me. Loud , kinda gay (I will elaborate on that sometime soon), and extremely talkative. But the most admirable thing about him is how heโ€™s affectionate and loyal.

Heโ€™s always wants to be by my side, always giving me kisses and cuddling me. He follows me around the house, even in the bathroom when I have to take a poop! It came to the point where im googling if this is how birds really express their love for their owners.

I have more countless things to describe what he does that makes me love him so much. I take showers with him, I take naps with him, I play hide n seek with him, I watch the TV with him, he crawls on my face even though his claws hurt, he likes it when I rattle my antidepressants bottle like a toy, always nesting on the top of my hair; at this point it just everything he does is what makes me love him so dearly.

Now you probably asking now, โ€œOk so what do you mean your bird saved your life according to the tittle of this post?โ€

When I was talking to my therapist one session, she asked me what are one of the things I appreciate in my life. One of this things was Pongo. She asked why,

After saying that, I realize he really does keep me content , he keeps me going. So the thought of committing suicide one day while heโ€™s still here hurts me a lot, and how much it would hurt for him.

The things he does I mentioned; thinking about it now makes me realize how much he loves me. Or how much he sees me as someone he feels safe with. Knowing that just makes me want to cry, even looking at him makes me cry a little bit. Not because he super duper adorable, but because how much I really adore this bird.

It a question I ask myself sometimes ; How does a little bird from petsmart that only cost 20 bucks make me this happy?

I wish to ramble more about how Pongo changed my life, but I have written too much now.

To those who read this whole post, thank you so much. And please; take care of your pets.
Ok, ok, I swear almost all male budgies are gay ๐Ÿคฃ.

I have a similar story. Was dealing with crippling social anxiety, a tic disorder, depression, and SPD. The only thing stopping me from really going through 'attempting' were my budgies, so I totally understand how you feel. Thankfully, I have 3 budgies, so when I'm not feeling my best mentally, they will entertain each other.

A really huge word of warning: NEVER sleep with your bird. You can roll over and crush them, so please, NEVER do it! I can only imagine how mentally painful that would be. Also, never allow them in a bathroom with an uncovered toilet seat, they can drown.

Your little buddy seems very happy, and I really hope he's with you for many years to come.

(Here's an article on household dangers to budgies, so you don't miss anything and lose your burd)

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Please,please, PLEASE, donโ€™t take naps with your bird.
it so often ends in tragidy.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Pongo, thanks so much for posting and entrusting us with sensitive topics. We're a diverse membership and frequently discuss mental health issues without judgement.

We never know who or what will venture into our midst and catalyze life changing events. For you Pongo, mine was random click on YouTube. Please continue sharing and engaging, I promise you it will be revelatory and therapeutic!

Want to respectfully co-sign comment by Wes (texsize) above. Please don't nap with Pongo; our bereavement forum filled with innocent but tragic outcomes.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Hey love.
Iโ€™ve actually dealt with depression and anxiety when I was as little as 11 years old. Itโ€™s not something I usually discuss but I was on suicide watch for 2 weeks and they eventually put me on meds and some therapy sessions. Which helped me yes but when I had my conure at 12 or 13 years old, she helped me quite a bit with my mental health issues. It felt nice having the company of an animal that is loyal and knowing that she wonโ€™t judge me was very comforting for me. I also still deal with those things and I too have social anxiety. Reading this post was very nostalgic and made me realize that you and I are very similar actually. You are basically the younger me and just felt very supported by the company and love of an animals, in this case, that bird from pet smart. I also got my bird from pet smart at the time. Iโ€™m glad you found your safe space and happiness in such a beautiful little creature. Youโ€™re welcome to open up about anything in this forum and ask for any help if you need it at any point. Pictures of Pongo are welcome any time any day. :)

miki

Jun 26, 2014
Thank you so much for your heartfelt story about Pongo! He sounds like such a wonderful bird. As an exotic bird owner myself ( a 12 year old pet Congo African Grey Parrot named Aziza), I'm sorry to hear that you've had such a rough time, and yet glad that therapy sessions, and your bird, Pongo, have been such a tremendous help for you. Pets are amazing, and important to people, which is something that non-pet owners cannot and do not want to understand.

moxxiethecockatoo

Jul 20, 2022
Parrots
I have previously owned one cockatiel and two budgies. I currently own one sulphur crested cockatoo
Hello, I am a young person who owns a parakeet name Pongo. I donโ€™t expect myself to use this website as a daily thing. Tbh this is my first time going on a message board/forum of some sort, it took me a good 5 minutes to figure out how to post my own post.

You're not the only one with a therapy bird.
I was actually bullied over the idea of being your age and having a bird. Although I wanted something bigger than a budgie.
That thing I was bullied and harassed for has helped with so much.
My Moxxie keeps me encouraged to fight and get justice every day for how we were wronged. (Moxxie was rescued from a horrible situation).
Because of Moxxie, I joined animal activist groups, I fought for my rights, I befriended an animal rescue that was friends with the bully that attacked me and gave them an entirely different and better view of me than what false info they were fed. I do everything to give us both comfy happy lives.
Moxxie keeps me alive and fighting, even after times such as when I had a heart attack.
I wish people will realize one day that maybe a dog isn't always the first best choice of a therapy animal.

Attachments

• IMG_20220921_175822.jpg
    IMG_20220921_175822.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I'm so glad you found us. Many a life has been enhanced, or, yes, SAVED by beautiful pairings like you and Pongo. I love the name Pongo... so rich in history, zoology, Disney, even!
My bird has been my companion for almost 40 years. I wish you a wonderful, long, loving journey.
Stick with us!

Most Reactions

Latest posts