How old is the quaker that had been found

abcde12345

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
lovebird and quaker
Hello
Yesterfay a friend of the family saw a quaker falling from a tree and brought it to us. How old is it? Can it eat solid food according to its age or should we buy hand feeding formula for baby birds? If its a baby quaker, how many times a day it has to be fed?
Currently it does not want to eat from what we give to it, as orange, soft apple, mixture of bread and water,
sunflower seed and other seeds for parrots. It did not want to drink too, but yesterday night it agreed finally...
Why doesn't it eat? beacause it's a baby and needs formula or it's not a baby and it's because it's still afraid from us?...
Another question: a few hours after it came to us it agreed to us to pet it and it seemed like it enjoyed being on us and be petted. It didn't want to be taken from my mom that petted it in love. Does it say that it isn't a parrot from nature but ran away from someone that was petting it and makeing it used to human company?
Here is some picuters. Ignore its wigs, they were cut by an unprofessional hand so it woudnwt be able to run away...
The last picture is after we got it. Yes It was wet.
Thanks a lot for all the halpers.

Attachments

• IMG_2974[1].JPG
    IMG_2974[1].JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2979[1].JPG
    IMG_2979[1].JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2977[1].JPG
    IMG_2977[1].JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2976[1].JPG
    IMG_2976[1].JPG
    334.3 KB · Views: 83

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hey there & welcome to the forums! Are you in a part of the world where there are wild quaker parrots natively, or are you in places (like the US) where there are non-domestic wild flocks? Either way, it is very difficult to tell a bird’s age from photos. As your bird’s adult feathers seem to be fully present and accounted for I’d assume this is a fully fledged bird, or near there. Beyond that I’m not sure! Perhaps a quaker expert can chime in.

Refusing food is an emergency situation, as parrots cannot go long stretches without eating regularly. I would get this bird to a vet ASAP. In the meantime, you can visit most big-box pet stores to acquire a baby bird handfeeding formula. Mix it according to the instructions and offer it on a spoon or gently feed him/her with a syringe (most pharmacies can give you syringes for free or cheaply). Do not force feed him/her, as they can aspirate the formula.

Assuming that this bird is indeed ill, keep it warm and somewhere relatively quiet. Be sure to keep it away from other birds in your household in case it has something that is contagious. Ensure you and your family members wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling your new bird & his/her belongings.

We have a resource thread for finding avian vets here:

I hope your new feathered friend recovers! It is always so scary when they refuse to eat.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi there, as I view the photos I think this looks like a very young bird. It also looks like it doesn’t feel well.

I would buy some baby parrot formula and feed this bird RIGHT AWAY if you are going to try to keep him. OR I would contact a veterinarian or wildlife rehabilitative/ humane society so they can feed and treat him RIGHT AWAY.

Whatever you do, this young bird needs to get some food inside him soon!

Last edited:
OP
A

abcde12345

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
lovebird and quaker
Thanks a lot for your comments.

DeTanya, sorry to hear that. I am from Israel

Finallt the quaker agreed to eat some soft apple but it seems it can't eat any hard food... For example, we gave to it a sunflower seed without the peeling, and the parrot wanted to eat that but just didn't succeed... it put the seed inside its mouth but it coudn't bite it. What do you say? Should we buy the baby formaula?​

Another question, it seems like my lovebird realy doesn't like the new parrot. it yells at it and when they were close to each other it seemed like the lovebird wants to peck the eye of the quaker. Before that the lovebird chased the quaker, which tried to run away. What do you think is the relationship with then? Can they be friends? Do you think that the lovebird is jealous of the quaker because of the close care it gets today?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
@Laurasea? Are you able to help this user?

@abcde12345 This may be useful:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Love burds are often not good with other burds. But because this is a new addition you definitely want to keep them apart. Introducing can happen much later after you have this one eating abd settled.

The beak makes me think this a young bird, close to weaning and fledgling. It was probably just learning to fly. And yiu could have placed in a branch of the tree it fell from abd it would have done fine and been supported by parents. They flutter and do a lot of small shirt flights at first.

But now that it has been so severely clipped. You don't have that option.

You can try tempting with a little applesauce. But baby burd formula for a few days or week us probably needed.

Yiu can aldo offer some warm soft cooked sbd cut up veggies. Like cooked sweet potatoes mashed up, or butter nut squash. You can offer some cucumber cut lengthwise to expose seeds, that is soft and liked by many. Some peas, fresh or thaw abd serve.

Play with the food, bob your head up and down and offer on fingers. Quaker babies do a lot of head bobbing in asking for food. And seeing you do it might trigger a response.

Offer stuff spread out on a plate or shallow dish.

Call a breeder fir advice, a breeder if any parrot species should be able to offer advice.

Getting checked by a veterinarian and veterinarian help is aldo good idea.

You might aldo hsve wild life rescues as a resource

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Baby parrots get baby parrot formula, available in high end pet shops. READ the directions!!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You need to buy baby bird food, mix it up into a porridge and feed it with a spoon or syringe.

IF your lovebird eats pellets, you could smash some of those and make a porridge with warm water and feed that briefly.

You could feed mashed banana, mashed yam, applesauce in an emergency but you will need to get baby bird formula and a syringe if you want this baby to survive.

I would keep him separate from the lovebird.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
This baby also might eat some cooked rice or corn, especially if it’s mashed a bit. Grits or wheat cereal would probably be eaten. BUT it really needs baby bird formula. The other things don’t have the proteins and other things the baby needs to grow up well.

And NO your lovebird will be jealous of the baby and could hurt the baby. They shouldn’t be in the same cage. Wild birds have germs, worms, lice, mites that your lovebird has not previously been exposed to.

OP
A

abcde12345

Jul 11, 2022
Parrots
lovebird and quaker
Hello
Thank you everyone for your replies.
On Thursday last week we gave the parrot to a wildlife shelter, there it can get a better and more professional treatment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts