How to approach tamed cockatiel to non tamed?

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello there :) so I decided to get a new partner to my cockatiel! Shes 11 months old, never had any contact with another bird before i just donā€™t know how shes gonna react when i bring a new partner. Do i have to keep them separated when they meet? Any suggestions on how to do it the right way so they donā€™t fight or something?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, Iā€™m wondering why you want to get your cockatiel a partner? Is she lonely because your schedule has changed?

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
So my first thing Is Quarantine I cannot stress this enough ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS Quarantine your bird. And if you plan on having them in the same cage together then no you cannot just plop them in together heres a link to a site that explains what to do Because if I try to explain this I might get fired up. Sorry if i kinda sounded rude I just get kinda spun up at simple questions that I feel like i shoulden't have to answer but thanks for asking questions.

EDIT: The process of Quarantine take a month before they can even be introduced. And a couple weeks after that Untill they can actually probably hang out outside the cage together.

OP
G12sbmx

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi, Iā€™m wondering why you want to get your cockatiel a partner? Is she lonely because your schedule has changed?
I started working more hours, im not home 12 hours and maybe more sometimes.

OP
G12sbmx

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
So my first thing Is Quarantine I cannot stress this enough ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS Quarantine your bird. And if you plan on having them in the same cage together then no you cannot just plop them in together heres a link to a site that explains what to do Because if I try to explain this I might get fired up. Sorry if i kinda sounded rude I just get kinda spun up at simple questions that I feel like i shoulden't have to answer but thanks for asking questions.

EDIT: The process of Quarantine take a month before they can even be introduced. And a couple weeks after that Untill they can actually probably hang out outside the cage together.
I will definitely give some more research before i doing it! You were very helpful thank you šŸ™

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I started working more hours, im not home 12 hours and maybe more sometimes.
Thatā€™s a good reason to consider getting a pal. I think you can get same sex buddies if you never want to worry about possible eggs. Iā€™m sure a cockatiel person could advise. I havent had a tiel for years.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I've introduced a lot of birds as I had 9. Tho not all at same time.

As mentioned quarantine is important, the only and only time I didn't do a full quarantine, a parakeet brought in chlamydia ( parrot fever) into my flock. All 7 got sick and 2 almost died.

The other important part for success is to go slow. After quarantine 2 weeks of cages being across the room from each other and not being out at the same time. And absolutely not letting the free one climb on the caged ones cage.

But you can start doing visits and postive treat rewards. So having one on you and sitting near the other while giving treats to both. And then switching. Taking one bird over to say hi to the other and giving treats to each then moving away, repeated often with switching who is with you.

Then when you have them meet do it in a neutral area away from the cages. Be prepared to prevent any charges or attacks. I keep an envelop handy to put between them or in front if the one wanting to charge. I usually do the introduction on dinner table covered in a towel or blanket to prevent slip slide. Or my bed. Or if no other pets on the floor. A big space I can set out yummy treats spread out. I get both. It'd un a happy calm mood and set them up about 4 feet from each other with their snacks. The goal is happy eating snacks and just hanging out. If either burd is not chill or trying to be aggressive I put them up and try again later. When it goes well the next time I move each treat pile closer together. I allow them to go near each other if both burds are doing good. I keep moving treats closer each time I do thus. Until then can eat and hang out about 6 inches apart.

Foraging and eating together seems to work well in creating a flock dynamic. At least it has for me and mine.

OP
G12sbmx

G12sbmx

Dec 17, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I've introduced a lot of birds as I had 9. Tho not all at same time.

As mentioned quarantine is important, the only and only time I didn't do a full quarantine, a parakeet brought in chlamydia ( parrot fever) into my flock. All 7 got sick and 2 almost died.

The other important part for success is to go slow. After quarantine 2 weeks of cages being across the room from each other and not being out at the same time. And absolutely not letting the free one climb on the caged ones cage.

But you can start doing visits and postive treat rewards. So having one on you and sitting near the other while giving treats to both. And then switching. Taking one bird over to say hi to the other and giving treats to each then moving away, repeated often with switching who is with you.

Then when you have them meet do it in a neutral area away from the cages. Be prepared to prevent any charges or attacks. I keep an envelop handy to put between them or in front if the one wanting to charge. I usually do the introduction on dinner table covered in a towel or blanket to prevent slip slide. Or my bed. Or if no other pets on the floor. A big space I can set out yummy treats spread out. I get both. It'd un a happy calm mood and set them up about 4 feet from each other with their snacks. The goal is happy eating snacks and just hanging out. If either burd is not chill or trying to be aggressive I put them up and try again later. When it goes well the next time I move each treat pile closer together. I allow them to go near each other if both burds are doing good. I keep moving treats closer each time I do thus. Until then can eat and hang out about 6 inches apart.

Foraging and eating together seems to work well in creating a flock dynamic. At least it has for me and mine.
Thank you so much šŸ™šŸ™ i will keep in mind everything you said!

Budgierose

Dec 10, 2021
Parrots
Hi! I am Budgierose! I don't have any birds yet but I love to learn about them and help others with my budgie information!
The best advice that I can give you is to quarantine your bird for at least 2 weeks. Especially since the other cockatiel is a bit timid. Make sure to spend time with both birds, even if that means dividing your time equally. The birds both need attention, to stay happy, healthy, and friendly. I am sure your cockatiel will love the new companion.

Budgierose

Most Reactions

Latest posts