How to breed Sun Conures Successfully?

Acton67

May 26, 2024
Parrots
2x Sun Conures
So my wife and I had a female sun Conure since 2015 that lived alone until the end of 2021 when we bought a house. She seemed fairly "promiscuous" and laid infertile eggs quite often beginning in 2020, before we purchased a mate for her 2.5 years ago. We had no way of being absolutely sure that we were purchasing a male, but based on the pelvis size, color and overall size of the bird we thought there was a good shot that he was a male.

Now the male is about to turn 3. It seems like they have paired up. I often see the male regurgitating food to the female, and my wife and I have seen the him mount the female on several occasions. It doesn't seem like he's mounting her appropriately though. Is this due to the age of the bird?

Our female recently laid 3 eggs, my wife checked the eggs with a flashlight and they seem to be infertile.

Growing up, my parents had sun conures and it seemed quite easy to breed then. We really want to give this female a chance to have a clutch at least once in her life, she's got strong mothering instincts and is a sweet bird. She does pluck intermittently, and we have done everything we can think if to reduce stress. We've given her a UV light and an additional enclosure that attaches to theirs connected with a pvc pipe that they use quite frequently. We try to feed a balanced diet and supplement calcium into their water to help replace what the female loses when laying eggs.

To ensure successful breeding and egg-laying in your sun conures, consider age, mating behavior, egg fertility, nesting conditions, health and stress management, and consulting an avian veterinarian. Monitor their age, mating behavior, and egg-laying health, and provide a private, quiet, and comfortable nesting area. Consult an avian veterinarian for personalized advice.

To ensure successful breeding and egg-laying in your sun conures, consider age, mating behavior, egg fertility, nesting conditions, health and stress management, and consulting an avian veterinarian. Monitor their age, mating behavior, and egg-laying health, and provide a private, quiet, and comfortable nesting area. Consult an avian veterinarian for personalized advice.
You need many things, I suggest you read and get all the information you need or you will just end up being heart broken.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back