How to choose a healthy bird?

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Hi guys, I think I've finally found a breeder close by who seems great. He has yellow sided GCC about to hatch so in a couple of months we will be bring home our new baby! :)
My question is: I want to make sure the bird we choose is healthy and 'fit' (no deformities etc) as I have 3 young human kids so am not in the market for a rescue type bird at the moment! So what things should I be checking when we go to view the birds? I would appreciate any helpful tips for what I should be looking at 'head to tail' and also what sorts of things may be good or bad about the breeders environment that might signal the birds are or are not cared for well. Thanks in advance.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Good feathering which indicates healthy diet, no discharge from its nares, check for the color and formation of the feces, check the vent to see if it's clean. Check to see if the bird has all its toes. How it interacts with you. What kind of food it eats.

Look for cleanliness and if it's up to your standards. Get some sort of health warranty as well.

This is what I can think of at the top of my head.

OP
Calace

Calace

May 16, 2013
Newcastle, Australia
Parrots
GCC- Ollie 3.9.13.
Cockatiels- RIP Charlie 2012, Zac 2006.
Good feathering which indicates healthy diet, no discharge from its nares, check for the color and formation of the feces, check the vent to see if it's clean. Check to see if the bird has all its toes. How it interacts with you. What kind of food it eats.

Look for cleanliness and if it's up to your standards. Get some sort of health warranty as well.

This is what I can think of at the top of my head.

Ok, so this is a gross questions but I've only had cockatiels in the past, this will be my first conure. So what should the faeces look like?:eek::confused:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I don't think there is much difference from one bird type to another when it comes to feces. There are usually solids and some fluid which is usually white. The solids' color depends on the type of food eaten.

Since you have had birds before, I think you will know a sick bird when you see one. Most breeders will have in their contract that you have the pet examined within a week or two. I also think if you purchase an animal out of your state, the breeder must prove the animal is healthy by having a vet examine it. I am not positive that it applies all over, but I know it does in Florida.

Last edited:

Pajarita

Banned
Banned
Jul 11, 2013
Actually, there is a difference. GCCs should eat a lot of fruits and usually produce more watery poop than other species.

But, if you ask me, the only way to tell if a bird is healthy is to take it to an AV and run a complete physical.

Most Reactions

Latest posts