How to convince my mom to let me breed my budgies?

LuauMyBaby

Mar 5, 2021
I own two budgies (one male and one female) I have done a lot of research and have had a little experience in the field. I have all of the materials and know how to hand rear if I need to. I have people I could give any budgies to because I’m not looking to have eight budgies. My male a female are bonded and they have tried to breed themselves before. I have given my female fake eggs before to see what she would do and she started to take care of the eggs. Both my female and male are healthy and have all of the nessesary medical checkups.

My male and female are both over one and my female’s cere is in breeding mood, same with my male. It is the natural time to breed because it is spring.

I just need my mom to agree. She really loves my birds and is always bragging about how good an owner I am, I have tried everything and she still says now. She was considering it for a while so I am not starting from nothing.

Thank you

:greenyellow::blue2:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No, when you leave the house have your own place, etc, etc, etc... Then you can do what you please. Until then, the 24 hrs/ day care is something that your mother should not have to have in her home.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome!!!

I am sure you are a good owner, but I 500% agree with above.--- breeding is a very different situation and it is expensive and full of risk (for baby and parents). When I was in middle school, I used to want our parrot to lay eggs SO badly....Trust me when I say it is not even remotely simple.

If you gave your bird a fake egg, you are basically pushing them to mate, which is a bad idea....Nets boxes/shadowy spaces etc= bad news...Females can get egg-bound, which can be potentially deadly, and having hormonal surges or eggs can seriously alter their behavior in terms of aggression, screaming etc.

Do you have a brooder, formula, safe syringes, sensitive liquid/formula thermometer, humidity meter and potential sources of humidity, purified water (and distilled for any humidifier), gram scale w/perch, and the capacity to feed around the clock AND an avian certified vet whose main focus is birds? If not, don't breed, and as you live with your mom, I assume you are still in school....If she did allow you, what would you even do with the babies to keep them from inbreeding or fighting? Also, the parents can kill them and it can be really sad/hard to watch one get left out of feedings...which is where you would have to do the 24 hour feedings (AKA, no sleep...for a very long time...and no way of feeding while you are at school).

If you do manage to raise them, you know siblings will still mate and/or fight....where will you house all of these babies? As adults, they will often attack others or mate with them, and then the problematic cycle continues, because they all need time out of their cages, and it is problematic when they cannot be out together...Plus there is the risk of aspiration, sour crop, yeast issues, infection, scissor beak etc...

You live with your mom and what you are asking would be unfair to the chicks and to the rest of you....If you were home-schooled with a parent who had extensive breeding experience, that would still be a no unless your parent was on-board...because hourly feedings etc can and are required for birds whose parents reject them.

Basically, when you have a steady job and know what your schedule is/make your own money and have money for extra cages etc, then go for it...but I would not suggest it unless your mom is on-board and had a few thousand bucks to drop on this project

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forum. We share and discuss all things parrots. I hope you stick around and join in. I've learned some great things here.

We have a junior breeder in Australia, who has a dedicated aviary. Perhaps he will weigh in

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome to the forum. We share and discuss all things parrots. I hope you stick around and join in. I've learned some great things here.

We have a junior breeder in Australia, who has a dedicated aviary. Perhaps he will weigh in

Just remember, breeding in the US is not the same as Australia, as their veterinary care and products are quite different from those in the US. Plus, weather is warm there all year, so an outdoor aviary is way different.

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
G’day and welcome to the forum!
I’m the breeder that Laura mentioned and I can tell you now breeding your own birds if a wonderful experience.
But if you’re wanting to breed quality birds the right way you need to be incredibly dedicated and know what you’re doing. Handrearing is not something to do straight up when you begin breeding, it takes a lot of work and problems can turn into a dead chick very quickly. A good size cage or aviary, a high quality diet consisting of calcium supplements, a protein supplement such as a dried egg and biscuit mix and plenty of greens and you’ll be set to go. The best way it to parent rear to begin with
Feel free to ask me any more questions :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts