How to get my parrot to bond with us.

Peno4040

Apr 3, 2023
Parrots
Alexandrine Parrot
Hi All, I am new to the group and also new to owning an Alexandrine Parrot.
We have had him / her just over 2 weeks, and what a rocky start it has been. After the first week we noticed very heavy / tail bobbing breathing. So off to the vets an overnight stay was required. The vet says he has an infection which he highly likely picked up from the pet shop. Anyway he is all fine now.
My question is he is very timid, we keep trying to put our hand towards him in the cage with some food (normally a grape) but he moves away from us. Can anyone tell me some tips to help him like us and how long will it take. My 9 year old boy is sooo excited to bond with his new feathery friend. I am guessing the illness and vet visit has also not helped. Looking forward to hearing all your help and advice. Thanks.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Hello, and welcome! :) First, thank you for recognizing the signs of illness and getting to the vet quickly! Well done.
Now, here's a thread that's a great place to start for information and ideas about bonding with your new friend. First and foremost, time and lots of patience.

Apr 3, 2023
United Kingdom, England, Cheshire
Parrots
Budgies:
Makisig (4/11/2020)
Mayumi (4/11/2020-1/4/2023) Best friend of me and Makisig, our sibling, the one we cherished. Please fly high for us and don’t stop at nothing ♥️♥️♥️
Unfortunately we as people can’t tell you how long it will take to tame him due to the fact that bird’s have individual personalities. However, a good way to start with taming him is to be near him so he gets used to your presences. Once he feels comfortable with you find his favourite snack and use it to bride him. Do it at a distance and when you’re ready to try get him to step up go for it. If he still doesn’t want to then continue getting him used to your hand. Once you manage to get him to step up use a sound que to tell him when to. Some owners also opt into using clickers and although they do help a lot in tricks it is not needed. If your bird starts to feel stressed leave it for the time being and try again a few minutes later. Obviously there are youtube tutorials that can explain better than me but the key to taming is patiences?
Anyways good luck!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Unfortunately we as people can’t tell you how long it will take to tame him due to the fact that bird’s have individual personalities. However, a good way to start with taming him is to be near him so he gets used to your presences. Once he feels comfortable with you find his favourite snack and use it to bride him. Do it at a distance and when you’re ready to try get him to step up go for it. If he still doesn’t want to then continue getting him used to your hand. Once you manage to get him to step up use a sound que to tell him when to. Some owners also opt into using clickers and although they do help a lot in tricks it is not needed. If your bird starts to feel stressed leave it for the time being and try again a few minutes later. Obviously there are youtube tutorials that can explain better than me but the key to taming is patiences?
Anyways good luck!
I'm so happy to see that even though you are grieving for your own little girlfriend you are still reaching out to others that need our help. You really are such a fine, unselfish person!

Most Reactions

Latest posts