How to get parakeets to bathe?

ETinSC

Jul 29, 2021
SC
I'm having the same issue with my new little budgie that I've had for about 10 weeks. He lets me mist him a little bit from the top of his cage, but it's not the same as bathing. Can't wait to hear other suggestions as well.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Budgie just don't bathe that often. Mine have only bathed twice in 3 years that I have seen .

What triggers them can be the sound of running water and splashing or the sound of rain. Mine all took a bath when I had moved their cage outside next to my fountain for some fresh air and sunshine. The sound of the fountain git term all excited.

When I put out a fresh bath for my other parrots if I splash the water around with my hand they can not resist !

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Our little Csilli also rarely bathes. But she does seem to love getting her self wet when we'd give her a freshly washed lettuce leaf - she'd just rub herself in that lettuce to get even the tiniest drop! Also as suggested above, putting lettuce into the water dish helped as well. The dish had to be green for some reason, otherwise she refused to bathe....
She hates misting, and she doesn't get like soaking wet, all you can see is just the tip of her chest wet. And everything else around her. Also I've seen whenever my Pascal (emma's conure) goes for a dunk, she sometimes joins in to catch all the splashing he does!

ETinSC

Jul 29, 2021
SC
If your birds refuse to bathe try putting lettuce in water or if your bird still doesn't want to shower then try using a sprayer and sprinkling them with water.
I've been putting the big lettuce leaves inside of Blueberry's cage so he can get used to seeing them and a flat bowl with lettuce and water on the bottom of his cage. It could take him weeks before he's brave enough to explore what this is, but he has already flopped into the bowl after a session of wild wing flapping. He went flying right into it. He jumped out immediately. Great suggestions!

Most Reactions

Latest posts