How to get rid of mice

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Hi everyone,

I hope this is the correct area to post this. I would like to know how to get rid of mice. I did a quick search but couldn't seem to find anything.

I have been dealing with mice for the past 4.5 years. Not since we got birds here. We have had birds in the house since 2016. Mostly lovebirds, but over the years a few different of species of parrots and doves too.

The mice started to come in 2018, soon after pigeons started coming. First wild ones (who still come here), and some are in the garage that my partner has been rehabilitating. Some released, some stay. Most stay. But they attract mice. I'm not sure how much more I can take. It's been 4.5 years of dealing with the constant scratching in the roof and walls. They have not gotten into the actual house itself after all this time. I am really afraid that one day they will somehow get inside though. I already suffer from depression, anxiety and OCD, and my OCD will not be able to cope if they get into the house. My partner finds dead mice everyday in the garage from all the traps he puts. I think that due to the food sources in the garage (i.e. the pigeons and their aviaries and food bowls etc, they always stay there but also go to the roof too.)

Does peanut butter on the traps work? I told him to put traps in the roof and to just check every week for dead mice, but it just seems to make them go to another area of the roof. In the past, we did use poison bait. I'm not very proud of that. However, please don't judge me. I don't have sympathy for these mice because they killed five of my diamond doves when the diamond doves used to live in the garage. They harassed them all night long and we didn't know until my partner was cleaning their tray one day and found a bunch of baby mice there. They likely went into their food bowls and pooped and the doves probably accidentally ate the poop mistaking it for seeds. This is why I have no sympathy for mice, and also the fact that I have not slept properly since mice and pigeons came here which has led to me to abuse the use of pain killers for my constant lack of sleep headaches.

I'll be honest and say the poison bait worked. We had some in the roof but also in an unused aviary outside (to deter them from getting inside in the first place). But I do not want to do that anymore. I have heard it's bad, not only for the mice, but everytime the baits were refilled I just kept panicking and worrying about my indoor birds. We were always reassured that as long as they don't go into the roof themselves, it wouldn't be a problem, but I always felt uneasy about it nonetheless and my indoor birds stay indoors anyway. And I don't want secondary poisoning to occur as my partner is rehabilitating some tawny frogmouths. Apparently they can eat mice, but he has them on an insect diet. But in saying that, i don't know where the insects have been either and don't want them catching insects that have been around dead poisoned mice. Two or three times we would get huge flies in the house all of a sudden and a horrid smell for a week or two, and i think it was because of a decomposing mouse, or rat. He once found an old dead rat hidden away in the garage too while cleaning it. When my precious ducklings were still alive I worried about the bait even more as Enano liked to catch moths every now and then and didn't know where those moths had been.

Two weeks ago my partner found 25 mice babies in the garage. They were alive and with their mother. He has a bit more compassion for mice than I do. So he set them up in some large container so they couldn't escape and fed them and then when the babies were bigger he took all of them and the mother and released them far away from here. Good for them. But it doesn't solve the problem here. Because they continue to come here.

I see a support worker weekly and I talked to her about this too as this week I felt quite dizzy after a few days of severely disrupted sleep and she mentioned putting peanut butter on the traps as it would make them go to the traps to try to eat it but then they die quickly and humanely. Is this correct? I have read things about this online as well. She mentioned ultra sonic machines or something too but I don't really want something like that as it might annoy the birds.

Ideally for me, the pigeons would go away, and no wild birds would be fed outside and I believe this would get rid of the mice once and for all. Because this is what started it. Two years of having birds indoors and no mice. Only when the wild birds and specifically the pigeons would come around, is when the mice problem started. Almost instantly. But sadly, this won't be the case and that's a story for another time as it deals with my relationship problems.

Any advice is appreciated. Links to products that get rid of mice but are bird safe etc, I will look into it. Or if peanut butter will work, I'll buy a jar tomorrow. As long as it's safe. The traps are only in the garage and a few in the roof now. I'm severely exhausted and stressed about this. I just want my peace and quiet back. And my sleep. I think that even if I'm lucky enough to get a proper amount of sleep, I still feel exhausted and tired with headaches, just from the stress of it all. It's all too unpredictable. I never know which night will be good or bad. I already have that issue with the daytime. I don't want nights to be permanently ruined too.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
YES! SOmeone who knows my mouse pain! I was told by an exterminator that baiting mice is most effective, but traps are more humane. I use sticky traps myself and habitually check them. The mice are still alive, so I stick them in the freezer, where they die in about 20 minutes. It's not a pretty situation and mice will sometimes scream, but i found it's the fastest way to kill them short of a snap trap. I find snap traps don't work as well, as the little stinkers will raid the trap and lick the peanut butter off the thing without setting them off!

OH! Peanut Butter works wonders, too :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Time to lose the compassion for mice!! What you are exposing yourself to medically is down right dangerous! With the length of time you have had colonies in and around your home it can be said you have well-established colonies and simple baiting /trapping is not going to eliminate those colonies.

You need a Professional Service that have a history of eliminating colonies! You also need to complete a detailed clean-up starting from the foundation of your home and all out buildings eliminating near everything around the buildings cleaning out a minimum of two meters. This to allow a chemical treatment for not only mice, but the infestation of bugs that are living with the mice colonies. It also allows the time to find and eliminate openings to your home and outbuildings.

An extensive cleaning of your home and all outbuildings is next understanding that rodents have zero control of their urine, which means that near all surfaces are covered in mice urine! Trash-out the stuff that is just sitting around and what stays needs deep-cleaning.

FYI: This is not a one time event as eliminate established colonies takes time, likely months!

Change your methods of providing, storing and trashing foods for all your 'pets' as the ways you are currently doing it is only helping to expand your problem. This will require a change in both of your methods and as stated above lose the compassion as they have none for you and yours.

Get serious, as you have a very serious and dangerous problem!!

Last edited:

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Do you have cats / eagles in your area?

I saw a big rat last month in my backyard cuz I used to put cashews at my son's grave. I stopped doing it. Now I'm dumping my birb's leftover in my backyard. I'm not sure if that will attract mice too, but I haven't seen them. I have a lot of wild birds visiting, grey and golden squirrels too.

Your roof could be also infested with mice. Last time a pest control professional came over (to get rid of a raccoon, and discovered some mice poop inside my roof) and suggested spraying poison inside the roof. The poison is able to stop mice's blood flow, and when they die they would become dry, he said the bodies would not smell. I didn't do that cuz I was afraid my birb would accidentally eat it.

The most disgusting thing was when we were renovating our home a few months ago, the guys uninstalled the kitchen cabinets, and found a number of dead mice inside the wall, ew. Have no idea how they got there. My garage door had a problem for sometime, the door couldn't close completely during the winter. I guess that's why.

OP
F

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
Thank you everyone for the responses. Sailboat, I'm generally a positive person with compassion but I have no compassion for mice after all the stress hearing them has caused me the last few years.

I can't do the poison bait because of the tawny frogmouths' being rehabilitated in the garage. Otherwise that would be my first choice and I still don't and didn't like using it. I would much rather the bird feeding outside stops and the pigeons in the garage to be re-homed but this is unlikely to happen. But I believe it would get rid of the mice as they wouldn't have a reason to come here. They never came until wild pigeons came and keeping some in the garage attracted mice too.

I bought peanut butter a few weeks ago and my partner said he put some on some of the mouse traps. But it seems to be deterring them. He said he wasn't even catching any mice at all in the garage with peanut butter. But I could still hear them in the roof. So they are around. So he rinsed them and removed the peanut butter and said he's starting to catch them again in the garage. He's cleaned up the traps in the roof too. The butcher birds which we hate have been coming here and eating the mice too. They are finding them outside and getting them. Better the mice than an innocent smaller bird. They are notorious for killing baby birds in summer and it breaks my heart seeing it happen each summer. But also another reason I'm unable to use poison bait. I hate the butcher bird and prefer them to go away, but I don't want to be responsible for secondary poisoning either. The root of the problem is the pigeons and wild bird feeding which I have nothing to do with. Sigh. I just hope the traps do the job. I've forced my partner to go into the roof regularly and replace traps if needed and add more if needed too.

That's awful sunconurebaba. I hate rats too. I've only ever seen them here twice. And the first time I didn't see it. I just smelled it for two weeks while it decomposed somewhere and caused huge flies to get into the bird room and caused a horrible smell throughout the house. It likely ate poison and didn't go back out the way it got in. and they are awful if in the roof. MUCH louder than a mouse. when they walk its like BANG BANG BANG. I was so scared I thought the roof was going to fall. And I was so stressed when those stupid flies got inside somehow as I didn't know where they had been and was worried for my indoor birds.

A pest control guy once said that we can still feed wild birds but to put the seed in a bowl and then take that bowl away at the end of the day and clean the area up. This was never done though which is why the problem still persists. The garage door could have been the way they were getting inside for you. I think that's how they are getting in the roof here. The garage door has been broken on the bottom right side for years. So I suspect that's how they get inside. There's stuff stacked up on the inside to cover up but I don't think it's enough to block them from getting in. I don't go to the garage myself anymore unless I have to turn off the light in the evening and that's it. I'm too scared to even do that now. I will never look at disney's mickey and minnie mouse in the same way after these years of horrible experiences. I'll take another disney fairy tale over those horrible mice.

vampiric-conure, I mentioned the sticky traps, but my partner said he doesn't want to use them because it's worse or something. Oh gosh, I definitely would not want a mouse in my freezer alongside my frozen foods. I think that would not work for me. Do those sticky traps work best for you?What is attracting the mice to your home? And can you make changes to make them go away? I personally feel that the pigeons and wild bird feeding caused the issue because even when we had lovebirds for years prior, there were never mice. They are indoors and any waste was thrown in the rubbish securely.

I agree. I don't want their poop or droppings anywhere near me or the birds. There's enough diseases in the world already.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
vampiric-conure, I mentioned the sticky traps, but my partner said he doesn't want to use them because it's worse or something. Oh gosh, I definitely would not want a mouse in my freezer alongside my frozen foods. I think that would not work for me. Do those sticky traps work best for you?What is attracting the mice to your home? And can you make changes to make them go away? I personally feel that the pigeons and wild bird feeding caused the issue because even when we had lovebirds for years prior, there were never mice. They are indoors and any waste was thrown in the rubbish securely.

I agree. I don't want their poop or droppings anywhere near me or the birds. There's enough diseases in the world already.
I stick the sticky trapped mice in a box in the freezer so they never mix with my frozen foods. But it's not for everyone :) . The traps indeed work the best for me. It also helps that I have a mouser for a dog, so mice tend to avoid areas that she visits regularly. As for what's attracting them to my home - it seems it was the amount of bird seed on the floor. I had seven birds at one point, but as soon as I reduced the flock, my mouse numbers went down drastically.

OP
F

freshprincess87

Dec 30, 2016
Australia
Parrots
8 little lovebirds
I stick the sticky trapped mice in a box in the freezer so they never mix with my frozen foods. But it's not for everyone :) . The traps indeed work the best for me. It also helps that I have a mouser for a dog, so mice tend to avoid areas that she visits regularly. As for what's attracting them to my home - it seems it was the amount of bird seed on the floor. I had seven birds at one point, but as soon as I reduced the flock, my mouse numbers went down drastically.
Oh that makes more sense then, sticking them into a box in the freezer. Oh wow. I remember your post on here about having to re-home some of your birds. How often would you say you get mice now? and how many? Is there a way to stop them getting inside like sealing any holes or anything? I'm petrified of them getting into the actual house in here. I worry for my own health but also the indoor birds. Diamond doves died from those mice when they were in the garage and I hate the mice for doing that to my little doves. They are innocent small birds and I'm so scared of the same thing happening in the house with all my precious little ones. They seem to go to the garage more because of the pigeons in there. And I think from there is how they are accessing the roof and walls. Do you only have two birds now? I wonder if reducing the amount of seed available on the floor would keep the mouse numbers away or completely away from your home.

Most Reactions

Latest posts