How to introduce conures?!?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi everyone, tomorrow Kiwi is meeting a sun conure named Charlie. He’s 2 years old. I am bringing her with to meet Charlie to introduce them. Hopefully he can come home with us so Kiwi can have a friend.

Does anyone have any advice on conure introductions? How has this gone for others?

How would I go about quarantines if this works out? Do you keep birds separated for awhile? Do you put their cages side by side?

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I also wanted to mention I don’t want to breed them. I just want them to be friends. I am going to close my flock after this. Is it fine if Kiwi lays an egg to just pull it out? Is this damaging to parrots?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm so excited for you!!

I think as far as quarantine to rule out disease it's best to keep them in separate rooms for 30 days so they aren't exposed to each other's dust, etc.

I have no clue how to tell right away if they'll get along, but I feel like as long as they don't hate each other it's possible to create harmony between them even if they aren't besties right away.

I love the jendays and sun at MAARS so much, so they're on my someday list of possibilities - I'm thrilled that we might get more kme-household content around here 😁

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
I'm so excited for you!!

I think as far as quarantine to rule out disease it's best to keep them in separate rooms for 30 days so they aren't exposed to each other's dust, etc.

I have no clue how to tell right away if they'll get along, but I feel like as long as they don't hate each other it's possible to create harmony between them even if they aren't besties right away.

I love the jendays and sun at MAARS so much, so they're on my someday list of possibilities - I'm thrilled that we might get more kme-household content around here 😁
Agree, definitely not putting the 2 in the same cage / room at the start.
And always supervise them when they are out of the cage at the same time. Especially during breeding seasons.
You won't regret getting a sun conure if you know how to train it out of screaming. Mine was a screamer and is now quiet. It's sad to see sun conures are being rehomed quite a lot on Kijiji.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I was hoping to have them share a cage as I’d like them to bond, and such. I just want to avoid baby conures. I have no intention to breed. Not that I’m against it… it’s just not a direction I want to go in. I don’t have the experience.

Conures are rehomed a lot. I’m not exactly sure why. They are comedy to be around, and are very friendly. Maybe the noise levels? My Jenday could put a screaming 2 year old to shame, and easily.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I also wanted to mention I don’t want to breed them. I just want them to be friends. I am going to close my flock after this. Is it fine if Kiwi lays an egg to just pull it out? Is this damaging to parrots?
If you pull it if unfertile, or before a heart beat, then it's ok, as long as you replace it with a fake. But if there is life, I'd consider it wrong to kill it.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
If you pull it if unfertile, or before a heart beat, then it's ok, as long as you replace it with a fake. But if there is life, I'd consider it wrong to kill it.
How long before a heart beat appears? I clean cages daily. I’d pull it immediately. When I volunteered at a shelter there were quite a few cockatiels. The one laid an egg, and when it was taken away she spent hours searching for it. She looked in distress. I want to avoid this.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I've read threads here where you could take the egg/s the day they're laid and boil them, then cool down and put them back - it seems like just removing them can cause some birds to just produce more and more eggs.

I'm by no means the expert of course ;)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
How long before a heart beat appears? I clean cages daily. I’d pull it immediately. When I volunteered at a shelter there were quite a few cockatiels. The one laid an egg, and when it was taken away she spent hours searching for it. She looked in distress. I want to avoid this.
Usually after a few days. You can shine a light on it. If there are any veins, then it's alive, but if there are none, there is no potential chick.

SunConureBaba

May 16, 2022
Greater Toronto Area, Canada
Parrots
Sun Conure son (with me in spirit);
Baby Robin (my son's reincarnation? RIP);
Red Factor Sun Conure (adopted);
Magpie (rescued as baby, returned to the wild after 1 year, 24+ years ago).
Ah I didn't read that you already have a Jenday. They might get along well after initial quarantine.

Side story:
The breeder on Kijiji who sold me his single red sun would like to sell me his other red sun breeding pair (super red sun male + regular female) for $1850 CAD. It's too expensive for me consider he previously offered me at $1650 and I didn't take it. I'm itchy for this pair cuz I know they ain't in good health and I wanna help them. My main concern is I don't have the time or experience to take care of little babies. And I can't take the loss when a baby dies.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I am a bit concerned because you have a bird who has some infectious disease. You could very well pass that to other birds in your household.

Have you asked your vet about your plan to add more birds to your household?

I’m not trying to be unkind but that’s what I think is best.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Meet Charlie the newest addition to the flock. He’s on his way home!
925E9AD0-9C7D-47A9-AB27-792CFE60A4EA.jpeg

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I found him on Craigslist. I’d been searching for a friend for my Jenday conure for awhile. Charlie hatched January of 2020. The previous owners said they were getting rid of him because the kids weren’t paying any attention to Charlie. They also had a vacation coming up.

I’ve thought about renaming Charlie… any thoughts? Or should I leave it.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I found him on Craigslist. I’d been searching for a friend for my Jenday conure for awhile. Charlie hatched January of 2020. The previous owners said they were getting rid of him because the kids weren’t paying any attention to Charlie. They also had a vacation coming up.

I’ve thought about renaming Charlie… any thoughts? Or should I leave it.
If he knows his name, better keep it that way. Charlie is a very cute name for him :)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He's a darling!

Do you have to do anything special because of Nico's illness? I change my clothes when I get home from MAARS and only wear those shoes there, but Cotton isn't making contact with me (yet!) so I haven't researched much about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Charlie settles in! 😍😍

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
He's a darling!

Do you have to do anything special because of Nico's illness? I change my clothes when I get home from MAARS and only wear those shoes there, but Cotton isn't making contact with me (yet!) so I haven't researched much about it.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Charlie settles in! 😍😍
No I don’t have to worry about what Nico has going on because Nico’s illness is secluded to Nico. Nico is sick because of Nico’s immune system from what I’ve gathered. Kind of like a human with an autoimmune disease. I’m not a doctor, or scientist. I am just going based off what I’ve been told.

I have read that I am supposed to quarantine Charlie for 30 days? I’ve also read that quarantines are useless unless they are done in a different house, or environment? I’m certainly not the expert in this.

Most Reactions