How to Make Your Own Wood Dyes (tutorial)

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
I used the remaining dye to dye coffee filters, do I could do momtopercys idea of shredable carnations. They taje forever to dry... I think I might have to bake them. Do you think the coffee filters will be safe with all that alcohol absorbed in them?

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I used the remaining dye to dye coffee filters, do I could do momtopercys idea of shredable carnations. They taje forever to dry... I think I might have to bake them. Do you think the coffee filters will be safe with all that alcohol absorbed in them?

Ooo! Good idea!

The alcohol evaporates as it dries, so when it's dry- there is no alcohol left. :)

Macawlover12

Feb 7, 2014
Caret, VA
Parrots
Kali-Catalina Macaw
Well, they are finished.... I should have worn gloves =-&
I really like how it all turned out and will ddyesome chunks of wood later:)
20140322_173321_zps1cf3329b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mysterygirl

Apr 14, 2015
Nor Cal
Parrots
Edgar (Alexandrian), Piper (Indian Ringneck), Eridan (Indian Ringneck)
So easy to make. Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20150708_074315.jpg
    20150708_074315.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 173

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
What an awesome thread!!! :D I will have to try this!!

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
Thank you SO MUCH!

I clean my toys in the dishwasher and the dye always comes out. I'm going to use this solution and paint the toys back to their vibrant colors.

Brittany741

Feb 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Parrots
SI Eclectus (Ruby) - 11 / Eclectus (Wrangler) - 7 / Eclectus (Pinto) - 6 /
Red Sided Eclectus (Oliver) - 4 mos. /
White Bellied Caique (Dan) - 2 /
Foster Congo African Grey (Molly) - 6
Also, I use gel dyes because I'm a hobby baker, and they use a LOT less and are much more vibrant. Excited to give it a try!

jaxx16

Jun 15, 2016
Media
US Virgin Islands
Parrots
Babe- Yellow Fronted Amazon
Great tutorial. Thank you. I live in the Caribbean and have to order everything from the mainland. This is perfect, I can actually make my own colorful toys!!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Great tutorial. Thank you. I live in the Caribbean and have to order everything from the mainland. This is perfect, I can actually make my own colorful toys!!

We'd love to see photos of your creations!

Elysianblight

Mar 8, 2020
Missouri
Parrots
Cypress (teal) and Citrine (green) - male american budgies, 7 months.
This may be stated somewhere in your thread, but does the alcohol help with staying power or color saturation or ...?

I didn't know anything a diy tricks to begin with and dyed my budgie's play gym with straight up gel food coloring.

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
The alcohol is to prevent nasties growing in your stored dyes so you can reuse without worry. It also allows for faster drying due to the evaporation of the alcohol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts