How to return to cage without biting

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had Jasper (Meyers) out for a little while around noon today, but had an appointment at 1 and needed to return him to the cage. I tried a few times to move my hand into the cage and asked him to ā€œstep upā€ onto a perch. Jasper declined to step up a few times.

I wasnā€™t sure what to do because I needed to leave the apartment. I tried to step him up onto his cage door (drawbridge style) by pressing it against his tummy. Jasper turned his head around and bit me on the thumb. I quickly picked him up, put him on the door, and shut the door.

ā€œWhat could I have done to not get bitten?ā€ was my thought for the next hour. Someone who has owned a number of poicephalus just wrote about Poi needing lots of fat in their diet, so I decided to get some high fat nut treats. I smashed three Brazil nuts into smallish pieces, thinking that next time this happens, I can bribe Jasper to go back in his cage with Brazil nut placed in his food dish.

Jasper came out this afternoon, but he stepped up easily onto a perch when we were ā€˜doneā€™. I still told him what a good boy he was and quickly put a piece of nut in his food dish.

Whatā€™s the best way to get Jasper back in his cage when I need to go and he wonā€™t step up onto a perch? Is the Brazil nut lure/reward the best way?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Yes. Thatā€™s precisely the way to do it. To get over this hump, Jasper should learn that going into cage is a treat bonanza! If he makes that positive association, heā€™ll be all to happy to go in by himself eventually without treats.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Ok. Well, weā€™ve been increasing our ā€˜trust capitalā€™ by telling both birds what good birds they are if theyā€™re playing fairly quietly and giving small treats during the day. And I have treats stashed by Willowā€™s cage and now by Jasperā€™s cage so I can get jasper a treat without stepping away from the scene of the action.

I hate having to do things they donā€™t like, like putting back in the cage when bird isnā€™t ā€˜doneā€™ or grooming nails/clipping wings. Wings must be clipped soon as both birds are largely done molting and I donā€™t want anyone flying into the soup pot or frying pan. (My kitchen area is right off living room area where birds live.) I will clip quickly and calmly (be prepared!) and then reassure/ praise.

Ledagcc

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 24, 2022
Media
Albums
Parrots
Mabel-Yellow sided green cheek conure. Hatch-Day 5 of February.
You can train him to target training. With this way he will follow the stick and get him into his cage.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
You can train him to target training. With this way he will follow the stick and get him into his cage.
Iā€™m considering that option as I wonder if teaching Jasper some tricks would give him a way to work off his extra energy without biting me. My concern there is that he might start biting me when he sees the targeting dowel.

We had a longer ā€œoutā€ and petting/ scritches time today so I feel like things are moving in a positive direction.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts