How to syringe feed a sick bird?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Can you share more of his back story?

I hope he continues to improve and crop function. It is a lot of work to hand feed. Thats why so many unethical breeders want to sell babies before they are weaned: or try abd force wean them.

I myself am a big believer in yogurt. Greek yogurt no artificial sweetners, live colutue to contain acidophilus. When mine are antibiotics I give a spoonful a day, otherwise I give them some when ever I'm eating it.

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Can you share more of his back story?

I hope he continues to improve and crop function. It is a lot of work to hand feed. Thats why so many unethical breeders want to sell babies before they are weaned: or try abd force wean them.

I myself am a big believer in yogurt. Greek yogurt no artificial sweetners, live colutue to contain acidophilus. When mine are antibiotics I give a spoonful a day, otherwise I give them some when ever I'm eating it.
Hello, absolutely. I agree it is completely unethical.
So when I took him home he was eating and was transferred to pellets prety quickly and chop. But what I didnā€™t realise is he actually didnā€™t know how to eat? And for three days was crying. I didnā€™t know he was crying/ begging. When I took him to the vet they said he has an infection and gizzard dysfunction, doesnā€™t know how to eat so he isnā€™t digesting so he is constantly hungry. So then he had three procedures to empty the crop and now he is being hand fed. He regressed completely and want to eat on his own. Yesterday he had seeds but it is tricky because he has high cholesterol but needs to wean on anything he is used to. I am trying veggies and fruit three times a day with abundance weaning and putting food on his favourite stick hanger thing but it doesnā€™t entice him. They told me to stick him in a smaller cage with just food and let him graduate per say once he can learn to eat on his own but offer formula x3 a day (he is 14 weeks) He is very difficult to hand feed because his brain says I donā€™t want it I can eat in my own, but then he doesnā€™t know how to. So I try to feed him every three hours and it isnā€™t always successful.

also would like to note, when I got him he didnā€™t really look like what a baby should but Iā€™m still glad I got him and helped him. He has stress bars on every feather and black on each feather which is abnormal. He also had trouble closing one of his eyes but assumed itā€™s cos when he slept he kept one open. You live and learn. My baby is doing better though, he looks and acts like a new boy, just gotta work on the food. His X-ray showed restored gizzard function which is great.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Excellent on digestive. Keep us updated. I'm rooting for you all. Can you post a picture of him?
I'm so glad you have him and are providing all ā¤ best care and love he needs

OP
F

Felemmm

Nov 26, 2021
Excellent on digestive. Keep us updated. I'm rooting for you all. Can you post a picture of him?
I'm so glad you have him and are providing all ā¤ best care and love he needs
Thank you so much! ā¤ļø He ate his first chilli today! Super proud haha

Attachments

• 490EB5B9-DF27-4D3C-A100-6548EC203066.jpeg
    490EB5B9-DF27-4D3C-A100-6548EC203066.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 80
  • F3ED54FF-1B1E-4949-A26E-D2D971200147.jpeg
    F3ED54FF-1B1E-4949-A26E-D2D971200147.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 73

Most Reactions