How to tell the difference between molting vs. sick?

Vilatus

Jul 17, 2017
Michigan
Parrots
One Quaker, Nico
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on how to more easily tell if a molt is coming versus my budgie being sick.

I find this is something I struggle with a lot and it causes me a lot of anxiety. Currently, Stanley is quiet and not doing very much, but is occasionally ringing his bell or playing with his toys, is eating regularly, poop looks normal, and weight is normal. Today he shed a feather and it finally clicked that this is likely just a molt and I have nothing to be worried about.

Does anyone have any advice on how to more easily tell the difference? I have an anxiety disorder to begin with and worrying about him makes me want to tear my hair out some days, lol.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
molting should leave no bald spots, molting should not make them eat less, molting should not cause trouble breathing or tail bobbing..They may be more tired when molting, but that's about it. New feathers should look normal and form at a normal rate. Molting will not cause them to sleep on the cage floor or make sounds when breathing, nor will it cause sneezing, discharge or neurological issues (such as problems with balance). It will not change their poop color or consistency and it will not cause vomiting.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts