How to tell when a baby needs supplementary feeding?

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
Black-Capped Conure, Cinnamon Green-Cheek Conure, African Ringneck Parakeet, Canary-Winged Parakeet
My conures have one very big, very strong little chick right now, a little over 2 weeks old. Unfortunately, my female needs antibiotics now after she mutilated two of her toes, presumably due to a foot injury that occured one week ago. It's unclear what her exact reasons were, as she was healing fine and there was no sign of infection. The vet said not to let her feed the baby while she's taking her antibiotics and pain meds. Her mate has always helped with the chicks, so I gave him a chance to feed the baby on his own. The baby was very loud last night so I thought he hadn't fed it even though he was sleeping beside it in the nest box, but I checked its crop this morning and there is some food in there. I have everything I need to feed the chick if I have to, but I would rather leave it to the chick's father if I can. How do I know if the baby is getting enough food from its father or not?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
A 2 week old chick needs feeding every 4 hrs or so. THats what I have read. So set up a time table and check the crop every 4 hrs and see if its full or only partially filled.

OP
C

crookedbird

Apr 12, 2017
PA
Parrots
Black-Capped Conure, Cinnamon Green-Cheek Conure, African Ringneck Parakeet, Canary-Winged Parakeet
A 2 week old chick needs feeding every 4 hrs or so. THats what I have read. So set up a time table and check the crop every 4 hrs and see if its full or only partially filled.
I checked the chick's crop right after its dad finished feeding it and it looks pretty full. The baby also seems to be going a normal amount of time between feedings rather than crying for food early, so I think its dad is doing a good job so far, thankfully.

Most Reactions

Latest posts