Humidity

tmay

Dec 20, 2022
Denver
Parrots
Sun conure
Hi I’m new to the forum and also a new owner of a sun conure and yes, I’m very excited for both!
I live in Denver and am concerned about a tropical bird and it’s dry climate environment ( our humidity seldom sees more than 30% )
Should this be a concern and if so, what ways are best to correct it?
Thanks in advance

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hi I’m new to the forum and also a new owner of a sun conure and yes, I’m very excited for both!
I live in Denver and am concerned about a tropical bird and it’s dry climate environment ( our humidity seldom sees more than 30% )
Should this be a concern and if so, what ways are best to correct it?
Thanks in advance
I would aim for 50%, you can get a humidifier and put it near your birds cage.
Spraying him with a misting spray bottle at least 3 times a week is helpful too, though as your bird's a conure, they probably love water!

Also welcome to the forum! Congrats on your conure!!!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to Parrot Forums and the wonderful World of Parrots!!

As noted above a Relative Humidity level of a minimum of 45%, targeting 50% is very helpful for your Parrot and you!! If your home has a forced air system, look at adding a whole home Humidity system to your furnace as a higher Humidity is great for your home as well. If not, look at a multi-room Humidifier, understanding that they are expensive, especially the filters.

ShanCaz

Jul 21, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Green Cheek Conure
Welcome!! :D
I think humidifiers do the trick well, especially if you have their def up in one area. Giving them spaces to take baths is also helpful as Suns do love their baths. Your bird may have a temperature preface when taking baths but that’s something that will be more experimental on your part.
As a Conure owner in the northern region, I found that they also really like sitting in the mist of hot showers. Not IN The water because it’s… hot. But they like the steam during the winter. I would just be careful and put away shampoos or harsh smells. You would also need to stop using harsh chemicals if you currently use them just so that your sun is safe.
I would suggest bottle misting too but that’s 50/50. Some birds love it, some birds will see it as a punishment if they don’t want to be misted/wet during that moment haha.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Truly great recommendations all, above.
Just to expand a bit on the comment above regarding misting. To improve you Parrots joy in being misted, try misting up into the air above your Parrot and allow it to gently fall down upon her /him. May not love it, but will except it better.

Most Reactions

Latest posts