I am surprised that Chirsty hasn't posted this story yet ..

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Well, last week it was Mac with his great "washing maching adventure" welp, this week it was Hamlet's turn ...

So, Christy had to work late last night and didn't get home until well after dark ... she went to the cages like she always does and Mac was in his, but HAMLET WASN'T :eek: !!!

She notices that Hamlet's water bowl door is opened and she starts to call for him ... he answers quietly, when she finds him he is sleeping on a blanket on our bed ... :eek:

All she can think is that he got out and went to look for her (or me) which is a great feet cause that is all he used, cause he can't fly ... and went into our bedroom and then just curled up and waited for us to come home. He didn't seem to be any worse for wear, although he was very hungry and very thirsty (we have no idea how long he had been out of his cage at most it was 8 or so hours) We dont' think that he got into anything, there was no evidence of chewed cords, or anything else like that.

She beat herself up over it pretty badly last night ... she felt horrible. But again, it's just another lesson learned in the world of being owned by a bird ...

:50:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Tex and Christy, I know I shouldn't laugh and I'm sorry but I did. The reason for that is I also have a bird who manages to get out through his water/food doors. Errol the Rosella, we have now got all food/water doors securely tied up. There have been many times that I've come home and found him sitting on the ceiling fans (which are only ever used as perches for the little guys and Kito:eek:) with the cat sitting underneath licking her lips :eek: Thats when the doors were tied shut. I'm not sure how Hamlet managed this but Errol would work at the nuts and bolts. (On their cage we have a disc that keeps the doors shut, supposedly, and he would work at the nuts and bolts from the inside, and I had done them up with a spanner and got Andi to tighten them after me)

Christy please don't beat yourself up over this, there are gonna be many many times that either Hamlet or Mac is going to do the least unexpected thing. Make it a mission to try and outsmart the birdies, that's what I do, (no it doesn't work but hey it makes me feel a whole lot better) :D

and went into our bedroom and then just curled up and waited for us to come home.

He obviously thought your bed looked a whole lot comfier than his and thought as you were out he'd take advantage of the situation. :D

That really is sooooooo cute, and can't you just see him trundling to the bedroom, whistling a little song as he went, probably pulling faces at Mac as he went. :D

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
I didn't post it because I felt a little embarassed. This is the second time in about a week that something has happened on my watch. And, Peta, thanks for thinking the best, but I really think that when I was rushing around in the morning to get to work I did not latch the water door correctly. Thank goodness Hamlet was ok. He had a heck of an adventure. This is one time when I wish I had a video camera hooked up to see what was going on. Come to think of it, I would like to know what they do when I am gone.

If this had happened to Mac I think it would have been a lot more trouble. Not only can he fly, but he is the more adventurous of the two and definitely would have gotten himself into trouble, looking at things. Well, add another thing to the list 1. Close the washer door and 2. double check all the latches on the cage.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh Christy, I stopped counting after mistake number 100 I think. There really are far too many to keep a count. Ya know, we remember the mistakes we've made and don't make them again, but our fids are so darn smart, theres always something they find to get into.

Everytime I read this I have the same picture pop into my head,
Hamlet peeks out the food door, everyones gone, he creeps out still watching and listening, makes face at Mac, walks off the the bedroom before pulling a final face at Mac, and saying You got the cheep thing I'm heading for the creme de la creme, in softness and comfort, and heads of to have a nap. :D :D

Don't ever feel embarrassed by making a mistake, We've all made them, and will continue to make them, just not the same ones.

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
Sure we all mistakes, I have made and still make a lotbut I'll tell you this one,not mine: my mother decided last summer that Sissy, our rosella, had a made a big mess with her food and water(she makes soup, spits it everywhere and bathes in it as well:D:eek:) and cleaned her cage out at the balcony,it was a very nice day and thought it would be nice if she let her out to get some sun which she enjoys if not for long..:smile023:
I came back home 3-4 hours after she had cleaned the cage and saw the cage door WIDE OPEN! But the poor, shy birdie was still in it didn't even try to get away.She only comes out if I ask her too, no matter if the door stays open all the time..:D

(Should I call it love, smartness or exactly the opposite?:D:D:D)

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
I pushed the button and posted it earlier than I wanted!
I can also imagine a little birdie sneaking into the bedroom!:D

I used to do it as well when I was younger and my parents went away.
I used to go in their bedroom, turn the tv on and have some snack enjoying the big wide bed...:D

You guys are lucky that he didn't let Mac out as Kito would have done with his pal and then they might have got into real trouble!:eek::D:)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
OH MY,

My little guys are like that, will not come out even if doors are open all day, but I'm sure they would have gone out if they were outside.

Oh thats so lucky that your little rosella stayed put. What a good fid he is.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
You guys are lucky that he didn't let Mac out as Kito would have done with his pal and then they might have got into real trouble!:eek::D:)

:eek: :eek: :eek: I'd come back to find the house demolished, I think, well no I know I would. If one of them had to get out, I'd rather it was Bucc, all he'd do is unhook the curtains and sit there telling himself what a good boy he was. :D

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
:18::18::18::18::18::18:

I can't laugh any more today! Thanks Peta, I was kind of stressed these days due to the work I had to do, and little Bucc's stories really relaxed me!:D

:) :) :)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I've just had a scarier thought than my two getting out, Kito and Mac being out together in one room. Oh my think I need a lay down now. :07:

Christy

Mar 28, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Parrots
Hamlet the Sun Conure and Mac the green cheek conure
They would get into a lot of trouble together...I can just see them egging each other on and flying all over the place. I love how the different personalities of all the birds really come out.
Pheobus, I'm glad your little rosella didn't move!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I can just see them egging each other on

Oh the picture in my head at the moment is priceless, imagine this:-
Mac and Kito wrecking the joint, egging each other on every step of the way, Then Bucc and Hamlet sitting there watching in utter disbelief, while curling up on the bed. :D

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
I'm a wee quiety on these forums

You keep logging on and we'll soon have you chatting like the rest of us. :D :D We have a way of making the quietest of people chat. :D

How bout some more pics of Pete :D

Conure Mom

Jul 11, 2007
What an amazing story! Don't beat yourself up too badly, as everyone else has said, we all make mistakes. My worst one was about 6 months ago, I had already put Nikki and Charlie to bed, but Charlie is like a 2-year old, she likes to protest bed time by chattering away, so I came into the bird room and lifted her cover and opened the cage door to see if she would come to me, but she wouldn't. I decided to walk away for a minute to see if she'd come out..... then I got distracted and forgot.... a few minutes later I was in the kitchen finishing up some dishes and I turned around and there was Charlie on the floor, looking up at me. At the time, she hadn't learned to fly yet. I was absolutely shocked that the poor little thing had walked all the way down the hall to the kitchen to find me. What really really frightened me was that I have 2 cats. Fortunately they were both sound asleep on the couch but if they'd seen her, I hate to think what would have happened. Anything else could have happened too.... I could have turned around and stepped on her! I was so upset with myself that I cried.

Now I'm so paranoid that I can't leave for work in the morning without checking half a dozen times to make sure all the cage doors are closed.

Anyway I share that story just to emphasize that we all make mistakes, we're human and these little guys can find ways to get into mischief! I'm happy it all turned out ok for you!

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Oh my, I'm getting that same image in my head that I did with Hamlet, only this time Charlie pulling faces at Nikki, chanting "Gotta find Mum gotta find mum" pulling lots of faces at the sleeping cats "gotta find mum, gotta find mum. :D :D :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts