I can't believe it, we got an Amazon!

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Crimson conures, Roseifrons, Sun, Sunday and cockatiels.
We weren't even considering an Amazon.

I spent so much time looking at Meyers, Pionus, African Greys and Eclectus. Every time I'd make a decision, I couldn't find a breeder that I felt good about. :( I talked to lots of people trying to rehome birds that had issues, and being our 1st large parrot I knew it was more of a challenge than we were up to.

So I gave up on finding a large parrot for the time being.

Then last weekend I was scanning ebay classifieds and came upon a 6 year old YN Amazon with a description that was too good to be true. He was with a CAG breeder who had gotten him a few months before when the bird needed a new home.

We went and met Shamus and I knew I had won the "bird lottery"! He got all excited and started talking up a storm. He ran onto my shoulder and checked me out. He says about 70 words/phrases, he's healthy, calm, friendly, not nippy, likes women and men. And apparently nuts for children and when he sat on my daughter's shoulder he started preening her hair. He enjoys your company but will sit independantly. Practically jumps onto my hand to come out of the cage. Doesn't scream. The breeder said he almost never sees a rehomed bird like this and told me he couldn't think of a single negative thing about him. The breeder who had him also has a retail store where the bird lived and saw all kinds of people in and out all day.

Even though I'd never even considered an Amazon, I just knew this was one very special bird.

We brought him home and he jabbered the whole time. I let him settle in for a bit (we brought his cage home, too) and then I put him on my shoulder and walked around the house showing him all the rooms. He sat on my husbands shoulder and started preening himself. He's settled in nicely and in fact I haven't seen him be nervous or scared at all. At dinner last night he hopped onto the table and accepted some potato from our hands.

We feel so lucky to have found him!

He did come with a nice, big cage, but I'm wanting to get something else. Any recommendations? I want something big, easy to clean, removable bottom grate, at least 3 stainless food bowls and a playtop.

Eloy

Sep 4, 2012
Congratulations! :)
So nice to read how happy you are and your enthusiasm over this special guy.
Wish you all good luck!! :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Congrats on your new addition! Shamus sounds just perfect. :D You all must be so super excited, it shows in your post. And I double the request for some pictures...pretty please.

As for cage, how about something like this: (just an example)
A&E Dometop Cage 36x28 - DOMETOP CAGES by MY SAFE BIRD STORE

I have my DYH in this cage (in black).

My Yellow Nape is in this cage (in black)
King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

Here's a picture of my Nape's cage next to my Mac's cage
IMG_5011.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
If your zon is like mine, the size dosen't matter much, they're never in it. LOL If there's nothing wrong with the old one ,i'd spend the money on perches,stands,toys etc. and a good travel cage!!!

OP
C

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Ok, hopefully this photo attachment will work....

a bit ago he was in his cage and we were across the house. When we heard a phone ringing and an answering machine pick up we thought we were losing our minds...until we realized it was Shamus!

He's already saying something we said to him just a few times only yesterday.

Attachments

• DSC_3608.jpg
    DSC_3608.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 245

brianlinkles

Aug 17, 2011
Oakwood, Ohio
Parrots
i am the mom of three parrots:
Dorothy- African grey (cag)
Bowie- blue and gold macaw
Nellie- hyacinth macaw
Reggie- hyacinth macaw
Marnie- white bellied caique
Hi! congrats on your new amazon! He sounds amazing. I just want to make a small suggestion, I would not allow your bird on your shoulder for awhile. I am a believer that this is a priviledge that should be earned. (many people never allow their birds on their shoulder) I probably wouldn't have commented except that you mentioned that he went on your daughters shoulder. Many birds especially rehomed birds may have some issues that you haven't experienced before. If these come about when on your shoulder it could result in a nasty bite. I must say amazons are capable of extremely bad bites. I would hate for something like this to happen to either you, your daughter or husband. I am not a believer of the dominance theory so it has nothing to do with that just a safetly issue. I rescued an amazon, I never allowed much shoulder time and certainly never in the beginning. It could be something as simple as your bird being on his favorite person and then someone else walking up and it could result in a bad bite for his favorite.
He truly sounds amazing and this is nothing to do with him, just a decision that should be made once you all have established his quirks.
Lots of luck amazons are great birds!

OP
C

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Hi! congrats on your new amazon! He sounds amazing. I just want to make a small suggestion, I would not allow your bird on your shoulder for awhile. I am a believer that this is a priviledge that should be earned. (many people never allow their birds on their shoulder) I probably wouldn't have commented except that you mentioned that he went on your daughters shoulder. Many birds especially rehomed birds may have some issues that you haven't experienced before. If these come about when on your shoulder it could result in a nasty bite. I must say amazons are capable of extremely bad bites. I would hate for something like this to happen to either you, your daughter or husband. I am not a believer of the dominance theory so it has nothing to do with that just a safetly issue. I rescued an amazon, I never allowed much shoulder time and certainly never in the beginning. It could be something as simple as your bird being on his favorite person and then someone else walking up and it could result in a bad bite for his favorite.
He truly sounds amazing and this is nothing to do with him, just a decision that should be made once you all have established his quirks.
Lots of luck amazons are great birds!

Thank you for this suggestion. I was thinking about that. After reading your comments, we'll start not letting him on our shoulder immediately for the time being. He does REALLY want to be on a shoulder. He practically races up your arm and you have to block him fast. And then he doesn't want to get off when it's perch time.

I really want to maintain the great bird that he seems to be and I'm thankful for all advice and suggestions!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Congrats on your new little buddy! Looks like a handsome little guy, and sounds well mannered too. As someone who has spent my entire life around large parrots (primarily amazons) I do have a couple suggestions on making him feel more at "home" in the way of cages/perches. I *think* I've managed to upload some pics of our guys setup, which I feel is reasonable for a zon, and he loves it! We got his cage from a local store, so I'm unsure what model it is, but it's got a great playtop and 3 dishes (which is what I was looking for in a cage for him). It also has room underneath to store his cage covers as well as his smaller transport cage (an absolute must for transporting to the vet/emergencies). In addition to his cage, he also has a t-perch and playtree. I cannot stress the importance of a portable t-perch enough! It allows him to come to every room with us, and the dining table (yes, we share all the meals we eat at home with him, non-toxic foods only of course). It's very easy to build a t-perch, you just need a scap piece of flat lumber for the base, a wooden dowel (cut to about 12") and either a non-toxic natural wood perch or the other portion of the dowel. Just use 2 "L" braces to hold the dowel to the base, and screw the perch part on top. Keeps poop and messes at bay, and costs virtually nothing to make. His playtree we also made. We bought a cheap (but sturdy) endtable at a thrift store (washed it well), and took a large natural manzanita branch, braced it to the base, and added some perches between the natural forks in the branches (secured with screws) as well as a swing (secured on a metal chain). We chose an end table with storage underneath, which is where we keep his toys. He spends a lot of time in his "tree", and we positioned it by a window, so he can see outside (it doesn't get cold where we are often, and when it does, he doesn't get to sit on his tree to avoid drafts). Another tip I have past living accomodations is to keep his cage on a rug (very cheap at Ross type stores) to protect your carpet. Best of luck, and remember, just use common sense with living accomodations. :green:

Last edited:
OP
C

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Thank you! Your cage looks pretty close to the one he came with. I think the one he currently has is big enough, we probably won't go bigger. Im looking at a 34 x 24 x 40. I debated getting a play top, but I don't think it will get used since when we're home he's on a stand wherever we are.

I do need to find some better perches for him though! He just has 1 dowel type and I need to take it out and get him some manzanita or something.

He's only been here a few days and every day he seems more comfortable. He's not a big fresh food eater yet, but I'll keep trying.

I haven't tried yet but I want to take him into the shower. One step at a time though so he doesn't get overwhelmed.

He's very quiet in the morning but by the afternoon he's talking like crazy. But not loud. His 1st owner was an old lady that died and he does talk like an old woman. Yesterday I got him on tape coughing and my husband insisted it was me! I said no....that's him! He also whistles and calls for a dog but I can't tell the dogs name. He has one sided phone convos where he says I'm good, unh huh, oh really and stuff like that, lol. And he does a lot of mumbling.

OP
C

chickymonkey

Oct 1, 2012
USA
Parrots
Another thing, I don't see him preening much at all. Is that normal? Maybe he'll preen more as he gets more comfortable? Or are some amazons not preeners?

Most Reactions

Latest posts