I Can't With This Bird! He's Just Too Smart!!

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
So I get home from running errands today to find that Pancho has removed his food bowl from its ring. Removed the ring from the cage. And threaded the ring onto one of his rope toys. He's loves working through things like this. Quick links are off in a jiffy. Unscrew anything he can get his beak on. Any ideas for bird puzzles? He doesn't care for "training". If he's out with me he wants to cuddle, not be told what to do. But in his alone time, he like to do things like this.
20230105_151810.jpg
20230105_151802.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I am outwitted on a daily basis by my four, and I only have little birds. A battle of wits with a brain like Pancho's is something I could never hope to win!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Pancho is usually the winner :D
I had a Goffin cockatoo, Casper, who liked to take his big cage apart! It was held together with large nuts and bolts and Casper would unscrew all the nuts and his entire cage almost collapsed (with him inside) until I duct taped the cage legs together so he didn't get killed under a pile of heavy cage panels!

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I had a Goffin cockatoo, Casper, who liked to take his big cage apart! It was held together with large nuts and bolts and Casper would unscrew all the nuts and his entire cage almost collapsed (with him inside) until I duct taped the cage legs together so he didn't get killed under a pile of heavy cage panels!
It's crazy how smart they are!!

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
My birds are to little to unscrew anything, but they like to unweave rope. It's really cool to watch, they feel it with their mouths, and once they can feel the individual strands, they start unweaving it with their tounge and beak, and occasionally their feet as well. They also like to turn my air purifier to different settings, and I wonder if they're doing it on purpose... because sometimes they'll turn it down a lot, usually when they're trying to rest or listen to something (ex. music on the radio), but sometimes they turn it up super high as well, never when they're trying to listen to things though. They like to stand over it when they turn it up a lot, maybe they like the "wind". I've been letting them experiment with it.

Your mac is very smart! I recommend just giving him things like jars to unscrew, or giving him random (bird-safe) items to play with. Of course, I have no experience with macaws, but it seems like something he'd like, based on your post.

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
My birds are to little to unscrew anything, but they like to unweave rope. It's really cool to watch, they feel it with their mouths, and once they can feel the individual strands, they start unweaving it with their tounge and beak, and occasionally their feet as well. They also like to turn my air purifier to different settings, and I wonder if they're doing it on purpose... because sometimes they'll turn it down a lot, usually when they're trying to rest or listen to something (ex. music on the radio), but sometimes they turn it up super high as well, never when they're trying to listen to things though. They like to stand over it when they turn it up a lot, maybe they like the "wind". I've been letting them experiment with it.

Your mac is very smart! I recommend just giving him things like jars to unscrew, or giving him random (bird-safe) items to play with. Of course, I have no experience with macaws, but it seems like something he'd like, based on your post.
Smart birdies figuring out the air purifier! I'll bet they know exactly what they are doing!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The baby toy section of near any store will have stuff to consider. Clearly you need to remember that your baby has this huge Bill!

I use to be a firm believer in Nylock nuts until my DYH Amazon removed them from his cage as he completed the disassemble of the cage for the forth time that week. We resorted to letting him 'free range' most of the home. Now, he busy himself moving his goodies from one hiding place to another. I look at it as a form of 'redirection' not surrendering!

Julio loves the stuff in my sailboat rigging bag, which contains all kinds of stainless steel stuff, much of it very expensive. As we roll into Springtime, I begin checking his hiding places and returning items to my rigging bag.

OP
C

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
The baby toy section of near any store will have stuff to consider. Clearly you need to remember that your baby has this huge Bill!

I use to be a firm believer in Nylock nuts until my DYH Amazon removed them from his cage as he completed the disassemble of the cage for the forth time that week. We resorted to letting him 'free range' most of the home. Now, he busy himself moving his goodies from one hiding place to another. I look at it as a form of 'redirection' not surrendering!

Julio loves the stuff in my sailboat rigging bag, which contains all kinds of stainless steel stuff, much of it very expensive. As we roll into Springtime, I begin checking his hiding places and returning items to my rigging bag.
The things we do for our birds! 🀣

Most Reactions

Latest posts