I didn’t realize how exhausting this would all be.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I love those pictures too! I got some more today! View attachment 51221View attachment 51223View attachment 51222
They are so different yet so perfect together!

Avicakes are more expensive for you?For me it’s the opposite! Avicakes are 8$ and nutriberries are 12$! (Unless you buy it in petco in person, then the prices are higher) where do you get your avicakes and nutriberries? I get my NB from Amazon, and sometimes petzoo. I’m planning on getting the AC on Amazon too.
I haven't bought either for years. I just remember that per ounce the avicakes seemed more expensive. Both seemed pretty expensive to use as a primary food.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
I have actually googled this before, but new pet stress/regret is a real and common phenomenon! It’s a big change for you and the other birdie in your life. It’s why I keep shying away from committing to a second bird myself now that Sammy is in her new home - I KNOW those first few weeks/months of having another bird in the house are going to be difficult and his highness is not going to take kindly to it!

All this to say; everything you are feeling and experiencing is totally valid and normal, and in all likelihood it will get better. I look forward to months from now when your feathered friends are settled in one way or another!

I find it helps in this type of situation to consider what the worst case scenario could be (for me, it’s always “both birds hate each other” or “both birds have formed an alliance against me”, but leaning toward “hate each other” LOL) and how you will handle it. Then I feel like I have a plan and even if the worst happens, I am prepared for it.

I hope Rico comes to love his little “Corny” sibling Cricket. Even if they never get along, it’s enriching for them to have company.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I haven't bought either for years. I just remember that per ounce the avicakes seemed more expensive. Both seemed pretty expensive to use as a primary food.
Ohh okay, prices are most likely vastly different then. Especially since you’re in the east(?) and I’m far north in Alaska. Especially since things cost a few bucks more here.

I wouldn’t use ACs or NBs as main foods but I would use it as a yummy treat/snack for them for training, or so they don’t get it in their tiny heads that it’s A-Okay to steal my snacks!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I have actually googled this before, but new pet stress/regret is a real and common phenomenon! It’s a big change for you and the other birdie in your life. It’s why I keep shying away from committing to a second bird myself now that Sammy is in her new home - I KNOW those first few weeks/months of having another bird in the house are going to be difficult and his highness is not going to take kindly to it!

All this to say; everything you are feeling and experiencing is totally valid and normal, and in all likelihood it will get better. I look forward to months from now when your feathered friends are settled in one way or another!

I find it helps in this type of situation to consider what the worst case scenario could be (for me, it’s always “both birds hate each other” or “both birds have formed an alliance against me”, but leaning toward “hate each other” LOL) and how you will handle it. Then I feel like I have a plan and even if the worst happens, I am prepared for it.

I hope Rico comes to love his little “Corny” sibling Cricket. Even if they never get along, it’s enriching for them to have company.
This answered a lot of questions I had in the back of my mind! Thank you so much! I was starting to think that I was a bad person being so stressed about this. So far, it’s going fairly smoothly, not as planned but similarly to the plan. Rico seems to enjoy his new playmate but I do feel a little bad that she can’t fly and he can. It does make things a bit complicated and Rico’s poor precision in his landings usually end up in an annoyed cricket and a confused Rico. I am excited for the future and I can’t wait to see what the future holds! Rico and cricket have had mostly positive interactions, a few negative ones (like Rico landing on her due to his poor precision, or Rico smacking her with his train of a tail, or cricket scaring him by moving too fast.) but for the most part, it’s very positive and they are doing things together, like shredding toys, munching on the pollen perch, or yelling at me together to wake me up so they can come out and enjoy their freedom. So far, so good!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ohh okay, prices are most likely vastly different then. Especially since you’re in the east(?) and I’m far north in Alaska. Especially since things cost a few bucks more here.

I wouldn’t use ACs or NBs as main foods but I would use it as a yummy treat/snack for them for training, or so they don’t get it in their tiny heads that it’s A-Okay to steal my snacks!
Rocky likes goldfish crackers. Actually, Rocky likes anything we're eating. She jumped right into my husband's chicken salad last night! He doesn't mind if she sits on the edge of the bowl but birdie feet in his food is yucky!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The beginning section of this thread should be a reference some how, because it shows some of the classic issues when adding a second (or more) parrots to your flock. BY no means the only ones but folks who have 1 parrot really dont have a solid idea of might happen. Here's hoping Cricket calms down some.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Rocky likes goldfish crackers. Actually, Rocky likes anything we're eating. She jumped right into my husband's chicken salad last night! He doesn't mind if she sits on the edge of the bowl but birdie feet in his food is yucky!
Rocky has good taste! Goldfish crackers are delicious!

Eww yeah bird Peets in food is gross! Rico has landed in my salads, bowls of cereal, small plates of chips and a sandwich, etc. it’s pretty gross. rocky musta saw that chicken salad and was like “cousin? Omg a family reunion!” And just dove right in. Musta been a yummy reunion!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The beginning section of this thread should be a reference some how, because it shows some of the classic issues when adding a second (or more) parrots to your flock. BY no means the only ones but folks who have 1 parrot really dont have a solid idea of might happen. Here's hoping Cricket calms down some.
Yeah I have no experience in parrot introductions but I did do some research. Although things went wrong successfully? Things did not go according to plan but it turned out okay. And adding cricket was a chaotic process but by no means do I regret it. Everyone is adjusting and settling nicely. Although cricket and I are having a harder time than Rico since he adjusts so well to situations. He literally bases what he does on my actions. I’m nice to cricket? Oh new friend! I don’t like someone? New enemy, must attack. I’m not scared of something he deems as scary? 7/10 times he is like ‘huh, sooo not scary?”. And since I was nice to and interested in cricket, he followed my lead and did just as I did. Cricket does like him and doesn’t seem to like it when I’m gone. She does contact calls until I whistle back. So, while crick and I are struggling to adjust, we are getting there.

Cricket does seem to settle down a little each day. And Rico is getting more comfortable each day. Both are quite happy. Still as sassy as she was on day one though!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Things are definitely getting easier now. I’m balancing everything out, cricket has a ground area that Rico likes to frequent. I have set up a schedule for them and we are following it (wake up at 10, eat and drink, I leave to shower, once I’m done, let them out and hang out with/around them, take a few breaks throughout the day, if it’s a sunny day, go out for some sun time, go to sleep at 10PM, repeat.), and cricket is settling better. Things are working out day by day. I appreciate all the support and advice, thank you all. I don’t know how I woulda kept my head on my shoulders without you guys haha. Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I'm still tweaking my routine to make things easier with an addition, and it's been six months :)

Glad everyone is settling into their place in your little family :)

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I'm still tweaking my routine to make things easier with an addition, and it's been six months :)

Glad everyone is settling into their place in your little family :)
They preened my leg hair together! Making progress!
A32E4EEF-3EA7-4C0A-8ADF-533CFE1B4598.jpeg
F563D620-905F-4158-A5CA-7DD6CF65F0F5.jpeg
02B17250-CB14-4679-AC61-589C01F0A689.jpeg

Most Reactions

Latest posts