May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Apollo's anxiety has gotten worse. She has multiple anxiety attacks a day, freaks out when ANY other bird perches on the same branch/swing as her, and totally freaks out the moment she steps onto my hand (even though she's not scared of it). She seems to have social anxiety... is that even possible? She avoids my other birds even though they treat her with kindness and preen/sing to her, and spends almost all day sitting on one perch, looking out the window. Same perch each day, and she doesn't move for HOURS, if at all.

I know a huge factor is probably clipping. She's just so anxious all the time, and it's gotten worse the longer she's been here, despite all the love she's gotten (she also had a period of being SUPER tame, but one day she just changed, seemingly for no reason). What do I do? I hate seeing her suffer and struggle, because I know she WANTS to be social, and doesn't want to be anxious, but her anxiety won't let her. I'm honestly suspecting some sort of trauma, even if it was mild, as she came to me like this (super anxious, the whole drinking issue, etc.), although I can't diagnose PTSD or anything, and I know a lot of people suspect their bird has had trauma if they're even a bit shy.

I appreciate any and all help, I'm really stuck right now!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Could you put Apollo in another cage nearby and give her a little personal space?

If I was a parakeet and had to live in a cage with a bunch of other birds I would lose it. I hated sharing a room with my sister or in the dorms.

(I’m picturing the cage divided by a line of masking tape so Apollo has HER OWN SIDE OF THE ROOM.). Poor birdy. Do you think being in another cage would help?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Could you put Apollo in another cage nearby and give her a little personal space?

If I was a parakeet and had to live in a cage with a bunch of other birds I would lose it. I hated sharing a room with my sister or in the dorms.

(I’m picturing the cage divided by a line of masking tape so Apollo has HER OWN SIDE OF THE ROOM.). Poor birdy. Do you think being in another cage would help?
She doesn't live in a cage with other birds. Her sleeping cage is totally separate, and she free roams all day, just like the others. The only ones who share a cage are Stormy and Pepper, my two boys, who are a boded pair. I would NEVER house females and males in the same, undivided cage, as females can get extremely territorial.

So, given this info (which I totally should've put in my original post), what do you suggest. This isn't normal budgie anxiety, it's a deep fear of almost everything.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
May want to consider using Animal /Parrot reactions in place of Human emotional reactions to more quickly define what is driving her reactions.

More likely a 'fear' response and something is or has recently changed that is driving that 'fear'.
I haven't changed anything since she came to me, besides changing clothes and bedsheets, and sweeping my floor for the purposes of hygiene. This also isn't recent, it's been an ongoing thing since I got her. I think what's up with her is beyond fear, I don't think it's normal to be afraid of your own species...

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Could Apollo be sick and the other birds are subtly intimidating her?

When I have had birds that couldn’t get along, one was sick. Or disabled.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Could Apollo be sick and the other birds are subtly intimidating her?

When I have had birds that couldn’t get along, one was sick. Or disabled.
Hmm, well, they're all sick, so I'm not sure. She actually let Stormy sing to her and didn't get scared, though!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Partly blind or lame?

Sorry I forgot your birds are free roaming. Still I wonder how you could give Apollo more personal space.
Hmm... how could I test for potential blindness/lameness? I'll have to do some more research, it seems!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Extended fear could be found in historical abuse.

Testing for blindness is fairly straightforward as one watches for specific signs of only turning in one direction (single eye effected). Very slow review of area around her prior to her attempts to move. Note: If sight is the base of the fear, any change to the surrounding adds to fear as there is a lack of consistency in her World.

Lameness is tested by watch her move about as there would be a restriction /avoidance of specific movement. Commonly very easily seen when Walk-About is limited caused by pain in movement.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Extended fear could be found in historical abuse.

Testing for blindness is fairly straightforward as one watches for specific signs of only turning in one direction (single eye effected). Very slow review of area around her prior to her attempts to move. Note: If sight is the base of the fear, any change to the surrounding adds to fear as there is a lack of consistency in her World.

Lameness is tested by watch her move about as there would be a restriction /avoidance of specific movement. Commonly very easily seen when Walk-About is limited caused by pain in movement.
Very interesting! I was suspecting possible abuse, but I will never know, unfortunately. I don't think she's lame, so I'll just need to watch for blindness.

Most Reactions

Latest posts