I donโ€™t know if my parrot has bonded to me or is just being aggressive

Dream45

Nov 23, 2023
Parrots
Alexandrine Parrot
My father and I brought home a 5 year old alexandrine a little over a month ago from a pet store. She settled in fine but then I noticed a change. She used to spend time with my father and I and now she only prefers me to handle her. Whenever my father sticks his hand calmly into her cage away from her or gets near her cage, her eyes pin, feathers ruffle up and she gets extremely defensive and aggressive. However itโ€™s the opposite for me, sheโ€™ll look at me, blink slowly at me and happily chirp and talk to me. Sheโ€™s lunged at my dad on several different occasions but has never bitten me once. Even when Iโ€™m handling her. She usually sits on me, preens, kisses me, and sleeps but no biting is involved. Maybe itโ€™s because sheโ€™s also going through a moult? And because itโ€™s spring maybe?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
My father and I brought home a 5 year old alexandrine a little over a month ago from a pet store. She settled in fine but then I noticed a change. She used to spend time with my father and I and now she only prefers me to handle her. Whenever my father sticks his hand calmly into her cage away from her or gets near her cage, her eyes pin, feathers ruffle up and she gets extremely defensive and aggressive. However itโ€™s the opposite for me, sheโ€™ll look at me, blink slowly at me and happily chirp and talk to me. Sheโ€™s lunged at my dad on several different occasions but has never bitten me once. Even when Iโ€™m handling her. She usually sits on me, preens, kisses me, and sleeps but no biting is involved. Maybe itโ€™s because sheโ€™s also going through a moult? And because itโ€™s spring maybe?
Sounds like you have been chosen!! Some parrots give their affections to everyone in the house, but plenty of them choose their preferred person, although that may change with time too. Take my flock for example, they're all perfectly happy to come to me, the main provider of food and the one who spends the most time with them when I'm here on my own. But the second my husband gets home they are all over him like a rash!!! :rolleyes: That's parrots for you!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month ๐Ÿ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Another thing to consider is that the Ringneck family of parrots ( your Alexandrine is a member) tend to be what is known as cage aggressive or defensive. They can be defensive in and around their cage - and why not! Its their home, their castle. I would suggest putting him ( the parrot, not your Dad) on a playstand, preferably in another room or not near his cage. And then have your Dad try to engage him. His temperament can be positively changed and be more friendly to people other then his 'chosen one'.

Its important that your Dad still try to maintain his relationship with your parrot, you may want him to be the giver of the parrots very favorite-most treat. My Salty suddenly decided one day that my youngest son was the Devil, so to keep the peace in the house, he is the only one to offer Salty his favorite treat - pine nuts. Salty is still not crazy about him, but he has stopped outright trying to attack him.

Good Luck!

Most Reactions

Latest posts