Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I had to clip Romeos wings today, I do so every time he grows in all his flights,
it's too dangerous otherwise.
He sits afterwards kinda uncomfortable, I gave him his chop and made sure he ate lots before I did it, if I had done it before dinner then he would've waited until breakfast to eat. He just looks so scared.
No matter how quickly I try to complete clipping his wings I still feel like I'm going slow, I mean, there has to be steadiness and that usually means less speed. Checking each feather to make sure it isn't a blood feather takes a few seconds. I normally do 4-5 of the primaries, the first three in half, the next 1-2 maybe 1/4 the way.
I wish he could be flighted like my other birds but it's simply too dangerous for him as he has hit a wall twice before when I tried to let him keep his flights.

Just needed to say this :(

Blueu85

Apr 27, 2022
United States
Parrots
Cockatiel
You gotta let them learn how to fly. Just like learning how to ride a bike. You'll get hurt. But they will learn. Let a bird be a bird. But that is up to you.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Trimming wings is a Hot Button topic and near everyone has they own opinion regarding the process; how much is two much!

Teaching your Parrot safe flight paths is very important and something that most Humans forget.

Remembering that the first few seconds of a fright flight is all go with no concept as to where they are going. Hence providing /teaching safe flight paths is so important. The how is fairly straightforward. One starts at commonly points from which they will fly from and take them along a path out to where they can land safely. After several of those are in place, add a few more 'or' start teaching return flights.

Teaching them what hard surfaces are is especially important as their is nothing in their hardwiring that walls are hard and then the important ones like windows, mirrors and pictures. With hard surfaces, one walks up to the surface and complete a slow crash into the wall. After several slow crashes, you will note your Parrot looking at you like you are nuts for crashing as they lean back from it. Success!!

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Trimming wings is a Hot Button topic and near everyone has they own opinion regarding the process; how much is two much!

Teaching your Parrot safe flight paths is very important and something that most Humans forget.

Remembering that the first few seconds of a fright flight is all go with no concept as to where they are going. Hence providing /teaching safe flight paths is so important. The how is fairly straightforward. One starts at commonly points from which they will fly from and take them along a path out to where they can land safely. After several of those are in place, add a few more 'or' start teaching return flights.

Teaching them what hard surfaces are is especially important as their is nothing in their hardwiring that walls are hard and then the important ones like windows, mirrors and pictures. With hard surfaces, one walks up to the surface and complete a slow crash into the wall. After several slow crashes, you will note your Parrot looking at you like you are nuts for crashing as they lean back from it. Success!!
I can't teach him what hard surfaces are, or how to fly properly indoors as I have my other birds, he was abused in his previous home of 12 years by kids and 'adults' throwing things at his cage and apparently beating his cage with rolls of wrapping paper. He's not terrified of me but doesn't want me within 8 inches of his space.
I don't want to risk letting him be flighted again as he could've died.
My other eight birds are flighted, all skilled especially the budgies, so very agile.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
You gotta let them learn how to fly. Just like learning how to ride a bike. You'll get hurt. But they will learn. Let a bird be a bird. But that is up to you.
I tried to let him fly when I first rescued him but it just is to dangerous. See my reply to Sailboat above 👆

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fear is an emotion that plagues those who allow it too.
Our Parrots are not static beings and are growing and changing. If your choice is to have a flyer like your other Parrots, that becomes a goal and as a goal it is something that we target and work towards. Like a worthy goal, it requires many steps between where we are now and the completion of the goal.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts