I have a new baby!

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
One Goffins cockatoo. I would love more but she hates other birds!
Meet Nelson. I have had him for less than 2 weeks and he is the sweetest baby. He is only 11 weeks old. He loves the cooked mash I make for Sugar and he loves the pellets I am feeding him (Hari Hagen Alternative). He is an excellent eater. The mash I make has quinoa, garbanzo beans, lentils, peas, whole wheat pasta, bell peppers, brown rice, coriander seeds, caraway seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, and sometimes sweet potatoes. I also offer fruits and berries. I have read on other sites about ringnecks to feed them a dry seed mix also. One site recommended Breeders Choice which I can't get in the states and another site recommended Volkman Super Hookbill. I purchased some of the Volkman and he does eat it also but really...is the seed mix necessary with the mash and pellets? What do others with ringnecks feed their babies? Thanks for any and all advice!

Attachments

• Nelson.jpg
    Nelson.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 27

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Meet Nelson. I have had him for less than 2 weeks and he is the sweetest baby. He is only 11 weeks old. He loves the cooked mash I make for Sugar and he loves the pellets I am feeding him (Hari Hagen Alternative). He is an excellent eater. The mash I make has quinoa, garbanzo beans, lentils, peas, whole wheat pasta, bell peppers, brown rice, coriander seeds, caraway seeds, chia seeds, flax seeds, and sometimes sweet potatoes. I also offer fruits and berries. I have read on other sites about ringnecks to feed them a dry seed mix also. One site recommended Breeders Choice which I can't get in the states and another site recommended Volkman Super Hookbill. I purchased some of the Volkman and he does eat it also but really...is the seed mix necessary with the mash and pellets? What do others with ringnecks feed their babies? Thanks for any and all advice!
Congratulations! Your new baby Nelson is adorable!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Awww, Nelson is gorgeous!!
I do feed a little seed to all my birds in addition to pellets and chop (or mash), but it isn't a huge part of their diet. I know a lot of people don't feed seeds at all to their IRNs and they also do well. I think it's more of personal preference when it comes to the larger birds.

Please keep sharing pictures of your new Sweetie! Now would be a perfect time to start a thread for Nelson in the Incredible Journeys; Bird Stories For Bird Lovers forum! I'd love to read about your journey together:)

LoveOfallAnimals

Jul 17, 2022
Texas
Parrots
Eclectus - Female - Tequila
Red-Lored Amazon - Male - Tito
Albino Indian Ringneck - Female - Tia
He is adorable. I only give seeds as a treat. I feed bird bistro that I add fresh veggies to in the morning once they finish that then I feed pellets. I feed Roudybush and Tropican alternative formula. I also feed dried vegetables and fruit from Goldenfeast. Along with Nutri-berries and almond slivers as treats.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
My Slaty-Head gets seeds every few days or so. Variety in diet is a good thing and small amounts of seed contribute to that. You can use the seeds in foraging if you don't want to just feed them as is.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome home sweet Nelson!

OP
Tanglwood02

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Awww, Nelson is gorgeous!!
I do feed a little seed to all my birds in addition to pellets and chop (or mash), but it isn't a huge part of their diet. I know a lot of people don't feed seeds at all to their IRNs and they also do well. I think it's more of personal preference when it comes to the larger birds.

Please keep sharing pictures of your new Sweetie! Now would be a perfect time to start a thread for Nelson in the Incredible Journeys; Bird Stories For Bird Lovers forum! I'd love to read about your journey together:)
I added some of the seed mix to his pellets for a couple of days and I noticed he wasn't eating his pellets anymore where once he loved them! I stopped the seed mix as I would much rather he eat the pellets. He still loves his mash tho!

OP
Tanglwood02

Tanglwood02

Mar 27, 2023
Media
Albums
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Here's another picture of Nelson. I am obscessed with him! He's now 4 1/2 months old!

Attachments

• IMG_1322 (1).jpg
    IMG_1322 (1).jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 14

Most Reactions

Latest posts