I have a new to us DYH

Earl N Peanuts Mom

Sep 20, 2009
Media
Illinois
Parrots
I have a B&G Macaw & A DYH Amazon
Hiya Guys, This is my first time here, go easy lol! (not on message boards tho) Last night we got a 2 year old DYH Amazon, He looks ok, but he looks a bit 'rough' around the edges if that makes sense. He's cleaning himself, not a plucker by any means but you can tell that he wasn't exactly happy in the home he was in. His beak seems to be very thin, you can tell that he's been rubbing it. He has yet to poop since we put him on his cage & as far as I know he hasn't eaten anything since we've brought him home. He also fell off his cage this morning. I have yet to figure out if he did it because he wanted something or because he just fell off. (It's a bit worrisome to hear thud)

I don't think that he's all that socialized either. He does the typical moans but doesn't have a clue what step up is, freaks when anyone gets near him. I'm hoping that all of this is just "new home jitters".

When we got Earl (B&G Macaw) He was a beak scraper, his plummage was less then ok & he didn't like anyone. My boyfriend worked with him and he's doing fabulous now & has a great attitude/personality. We're not afraid of turning Peanut into a happy bird either. I don't plan on giving him up for anything. I just want to make sure that he's doing well in general.

I've kinda fallen in love w/ Peanut...People who have never experienced love at first sight have never had a bird ;) Thanks for all your help!! ENPM

Auggie's Dad

Administrator
Dec 28, 2007
Media
Albums
South Hadley MA
Parrots
Auggie: Dusky Conure
Welcome to the forums. Birds are interesting creatures in how they are simultaneously so sensitive to their environment yet also so resilient to bounce back one they are in better care. Hopefully with a bit of time in a better home Peanut will be back in tip top shape.

If you haven't already I'd encourage you to get him checked out by a vet and keep him separated from Earl until he has a clean bill of health.

I suspect since you have been raising a happy healthy macaw already you are familiar with the basics of diet and good parrot care but do look around as there are many conversations on these topics - and don't hesitate to ask questions.

OP
Earl N Peanuts Mom

Earl N Peanuts Mom

Sep 20, 2009
Media
Illinois
Parrots
I have a B&G Macaw & A DYH Amazon
Thank you soo much!! He's doing better this afternoon. Now that he's actually moving around he likes to jump. This is so new to me lol! However I have noticed that he is not moving his right wing. He moves his left wing freely but not his right. I can't wait to get him to the vet and find out what is going on. I have a feeling we're going to find out that he's older and that he was abused. :( ~ENPM

Most Reactions