Oct 18, 2016
southern New Jersey
Parrots
Congo African Gray,
Yellow crowned Amazon,
Senegal parrot
album.php
album.php
3-days ago I purchased an 8-year old Yellow crowned amazon. Sex is unknown. This amazon was just yesterday examined by an Avian Veterinarian and found to be in good health. Only problem is that the Vet felt this parrot was "Chubby" at 483g and recommended a change in Diet and an increase in exercise.

What I am finding this far is that this Amazon appears to be a "Couch potatoe". and just enjoys sitting on his/her perch in the cage, even with the door fully opened to the cage.

I purchased this amazon from a Bird Store. The owner did not have alot of information on this parrot. I'm trying to find out how long she had this parrot and how she acquired this bird.

I'm trying to get this parrot involved in toys to increase the activity level. Not much progress being made.

Any suggestions ?

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome, kudos for obtaining a timely avian vet "well check." You are both in the early stages of discovery aka "honeymoon period." I'd proceed slowly at your bird's pace and make changes piecemeal and observe reactions.

Reducing weight is a combination of increasing activity and reducing caloric intake, same as humans. Not all parrots enjoy playing with toys, might have to experiment with several and rotate position in cage. Any movement including flapping of wings or even walking on floor/counter while supervised is helpful. Your bird may be capable of flight, and can be encouraged in safe indoor environment - provided doors/windows secured shut.

What sort of diet are you offering? Opinions vary, most believe a large proportion of fresh veggies/fruits and either a quality pellet or pellet/seed combination is best.

Sharing a series of helpful "sticky threads," as you will see we have an enthusiastic Amazon membership!
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/65119-i-love-amazons-going-journey.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/amazons/54250-amazon-body-language.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

OP
N

NJDenman

Oct 18, 2016
southern New Jersey
Parrots
Congo African Gray,
Yellow crowned Amazon,
Senegal parrot
Thank you for the reply. This Amazon was on a "seed/pellet" mixture (heavy on the seeds). The Veterinarian said I need to gradually change that diet to a quality Pellet/Fresh fruit & vegetable diet. This is what my African Gray is on, but I got him when he was a baby, so he was used to it. I think it will take some time for this Amazon to get accustomed to a new diet. As for toys, this amazon likes the ball-type wicker type toys that are filled with shredded paper. I haven't seem this amazon get into chewing/shredding wood type toys. My Senegal parrot loves to shred balsa wood blocks.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
My YNA did not like veggies for a long time.
He saw how much my CAG enjoyed the veggies and that got him to change his mind.

My YNA is a perch potato most of the time (and overweight too).
We both have similar problems.

We all love to see pictures.
Texsize

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

Gradual change to healthier diet, but you have two powerful tools: Yourself and your AG. Consider the "chop" challenge: Prepare three identical bowls of fresh veggies/fruits, offer one to each bird, begin eating from yours. Make "mmmm" sounds, bob your head in delight. Parrots are flock eaters and you are one of the members! Hopefully your YCA will follow along!!

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Once you forge a bond with the bird, it will want to do things that you show interest in (sometimes...anyway)...So you have to model play with toys and also reward any progress/interest/proximity (baby steps). Remember, new toys can be scary to them, so rather than just shoving them in the cage, consider allowing them to get used to seeing them from afar and associate them with good things.

You can eat the food you want your bird to eat as well, although that doesn't work 100% of the time. Make sure you never share spit or allow them to eat off of something you have bitten or double-dipped in--- humans have gram-negative bacteria in our saliva and parrots naturally do not, so you don't want to allow them to contact your saliva or food you have eaten off of directly.

OP
N

NJDenman

Oct 18, 2016
southern New Jersey
Parrots
Congo African Gray,
Yellow crowned Amazon,
Senegal parrot
UPDATE:: Ok, well I thought I would provide an update. I wish I had more positive news to report on my new Yellow crowned amazon, but I am not seeing much change in the behavior at all. This amazon sits in the cage, on the perch, just being a "Perch potatoe". The cage door is open, but he/she rarely comes out. There is no interaction with any toys. I've started offering fresh fruits and vegetables, but he/she has shown no interest at all. Me thinks this is going to be a long journey .......

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
with parrots that have been just stuck in a cage all day ( before you got her) they really shut down.

It does take work to help them overcome this. It's so great you adopted her, and that you have parrot experience. Some target training to touch toys, working and playing together foraging. Burd Tricks on YouTube has some videos were she does both. Research cagebound parrots for tips.

If she isn't flighted. Links some perches ropes swings to play areas, I use the space above my cafes as well. Place ceiling hooks, ( weight rated) use fishing line to hang cargo nets, swings, hoops, spiral perches a few inches over cage top. Just high enough they can grab with a beak. It can really increase confidence to climb around on stuff.

Increasing their confidence and ability to choose dies wonders for parrots in this situation.

On foods, I have found feeding a wide variety of textures and things by hand helps. Even if you start with stuff that is more treat ir just food. It's teaching them to try. Sparks their curiosity, and helps increae recognition that foods come in lots of shapes and textures.

So I feed popcorn, a crumb of cracker, bread full of grains, applesauce, yogurt, pudding, cooked pasta, and u alternate offering, sprouts, cut cubes if celery, or a green bean, or pea, or anything safe. I've found offering stuff all day long by hand , then dumping it on a plate. Really got my birds trying stuff. To the point now if I find something new and hold it up they come running to investigate.

Don't forget to put your other parrots to work modeling the behavior, and food eating you want!! Your flock can be a great help @

Great that you have this parrot now!! Look forward to update and pictures!! Of all your parrots

Last edited:
OP
N

NJDenman

Oct 18, 2016
southern New Jersey
Parrots
Congo African Gray,
Yellow crowned Amazon,
Senegal parrot
Ok, so today didn't start off so good .......my new Birdy Bird bit me. 3-4 times it bit me. I was trying to get him/her off the top of the cage onto my hand , a CHOMPPPP! He/she has never done that before. So......I guess I will just leave him/her alone today.

Kaytana22

Apr 25, 2021
Media
Albums
Alabama Sir
Parrots
Cockatiel, Budgie, GCC
Yeah 8 years of this behavior has probably just become a "lifestyle" like humans changing an entire lifestyle is not easy and it definitely does not happen over night. I agree that forming a bond with the bird handling him loving on him or her, then working on the diet may be your best shot at getting him or her to respond to the change. Gradually working the pellets in providing fun bright foods of different textures may also help to peak his/her interest. Making a game of feeding time may also help to get him interested in trying different things. Good luck and congrats on your new friend :D

OP
N

NJDenman

Oct 18, 2016
southern New Jersey
Parrots
Congo African Gray,
Yellow crowned Amazon,
Senegal parrot
I had no problem handling this bird when I got him/her a week ago. It would freely step up on my hand. Today, that all changed, and he/she bit me 3-4x. I am actually shocked.
So it looks like today I am gonna stay away and leave him/her alone. I do believe it is going to take awhile to build a bond with this amazon.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

You are still in the "honeymoon" period of variability, this means two steps forward, one or two backward at times. Might have to slow down and work at the "speed of your bird." Did you try giving him a treat taking off the cage? Biting response may have been a form of cage aggression.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Ok, so today didn't start off so good .......my new Birdy Bird bit me. 3-4 times it bit me. I was trying to get him/her off the top of the cage onto my hand , a CHOMPPPP! He/she has never done that before. So......I guess I will just leave him/her alone today.

You should never ever force them to step up off their cage when they do not want to (unless it is life of death). You will very likely be working your way out of this one for more than a day (so please, do not expect her to step up tomorrow, or the next day, or even 2 weeks from now if she is not showing interest)....a bite means "YOU ARE IGNORING ALL OF MY OTHER WARNINGS"-- The thing is, you shouldn't even push them to that point. You should not make them step up unless they offer. Anything else (until you know this bird WAY better) is invasive. It isn't about waiting to see aggressive body language or fear, it's about paying attention to what they want before your stress them and push push push until they feel they have no choice but to bite. My bird would not willingly step up onto me for 3 months...You should not push. You need to go back to building trust and move at the bird's pace. A bite is a set-back because it harms trust when you ignore their wishes not to be touched.

Please don't think you are screwed because of this, but do expect this incident to set you back significantly. You can get back to where you were and better, but you won't get there without more intuition/empathy for your bird's wishes. They move in slow motion and no matter how good your intentions, your intentions are not what ultimately matter--- it is how the bird perceives you. They WILL initiate or show signs of interest if they want to step up. If they don't, that's okay. The more your force it, the further in debt your "trust bank" will be.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej8dal0tx-g"]Avoid Parrot Biting - Body Language and Bite Warning Signs - YouTube[/ame]

You can find other creative ways to get a bird back in the cage without touching-- I did it for 3 months and there was not a single day (since day one) that Noodles' cage door was open for under 3 hours. She came in and out as she pleased and she naturally went in around bedtime. NOTE: Do not lock them in the first time they go back in on their own, or they will learn this pattern and associate going in their cage with getting locked up for hours on end.

Trying to pick up a parrot that isn't interested is like kissing an acquaintance despite the fact that they haven't leaned in or given you any indication that they are interested.

[ame="https://youtu.be/uFHj83Csj7s"]1920s Slapstick - Famous Vintage Movie Slaps! - YouTube[/ame]

Your bird doesn't know you (even if they let you touch them originally). Now reality is setting in-- he's not where he is used to and he is with a new person he doesn't even know. It was all fun and games during the honeymoon. This isn't uncommon, but that's why you have to wait for the bird to initiate.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts