Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have some important questions:
  1. In my home there is a non-stick waffle makes, and it's barely used, like once or twice a year. My mom used it about 5-6 days ago, and I asked her if it's non stick and she said yes so idk if we should get rid of it or not. She used it while the birds were far away from the kitchen, and they still look fine! No signs of illness(exept prior to the incedent which I'll tell you about soon). Do you guys think it'll be fine as long as it's only used once in a blue moon and as long as the birds are VERY far away, and their windows are opened?

2. I don't have an air purifier yet for my birds, what is the recommended CADR and efficiency etc etc(minimum) for a room about 3x2m, or 6000cm²/6m²?

3. Snowy has had a breathing issue for over a year now. She has seen our avian vet twice, and she hasn't found the issue(yet). She's had a few treatments(anti-fungal and anti-bacterial treatments to be exact). Do you think I take her to another vet? My current avian vet is quite experienced and some friends of my mom know her very well. As far as I know there is 3 other avian vets in my city, and I heard they're also quite experienced.

Thanks for reading, any help is appreciated.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Teflon and other nonstick stuff is dangerous when they are heated beyond the designed temperature ( and also when brand new, as process fluids burn off). Me - I take no chances, we got rid of anything with nonstick cooking surfaces AND anything with a heating element, like a hair dryer or others, as manufacturers frequently coat the heating elements with Teflon or others as a anti corrosion agent.

Cant address the air purifier, the only thing I know is to not use one that uses ionizing as a part of the unit - that is a NO NO for parrots.

And yeah a second opinion never hurts, for you, me and your parrot! If nothing else it will give you peace of mind that you are doing everything possible to help Snowwy.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks- I'll ask my mom again about the non-stick thing.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
In all honesty, I personally do use non stick appliances in my kitchen without too much worries because:
- our flat is really long, the big room where the birds are on one end, and the kitchen on the other
-kitchen door is closed when I cook
-I always, and I mean always open up the window in the kitchen and turn on the air sucking thing above the stove when cooking or frying or doing even grilled sandwiches.
-flat is being ventilated on a daily basis
-birds are always away when I am working in the kitchen. No feathery fluffs allowed while something is cooking.
-as master Wrench mentioned, teflon gets bad only above a certain temp, which in the special cooking appliances doesn't happen. Only my frying pans are safe as there the temp can get bit higher than 200°C. Everything under 200°C is for sure safe.

Burnt food in bird safe appliances are equally bad and toxic for those little lungs.

When I read about how many things are really dangerous, I start to think that my Zeleni could've survived Chernobyl as well. That bird grew up basically next to a kitchen, with no special care which appliances are being used. Pure luck he never ever got sick in 28 years of his life. God bless him, but I am sure he could've lived a little longer if he had proper care prior.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
In all honesty, I personally do use non stick appliances in my kitchen without too much worries because:
- our flat is really long, the big room where the birds are on one end, and the kitchen on the other
-kitchen door is closed when I cook
-I always, and I mean always open up the window in the kitchen and turn on the air sucking thing above the stove when cooking or frying or doing even grilled sandwiches.
-flat is being ventilated on a daily basis
-birds are always away when I am working in the kitchen. No feathery fluffs allowed while something is cooking.
-as master Wrench mentioned, teflon gets bad only above a certain temp, which in the special cooking appliances doesn't happen. Only my frying pans are safe as there the temp can get bit higher than 200°C. Everything under 200°C is for sure safe.

Burnt food in bird safe appliances are equally bad and toxic for those little lungs.

When I read about how many things are really dangerous, I start to think that my Zeleni could've survived Chernobyl as well. That bird grew up basically next to a kitchen, with no special care which appliances are being used. Pure luck he never ever got sick in 28 years of his life. God bless him, but I am sure he could've lived a little longer if he had proper care prior.
I agree with you. The waffle maker is barely used. before a few days ago, it was last used around the time SA first went into lockdown! That's like, two years ago! I think whether it's a risk worth taking is up to every individual person. I think what I'll do is if mom ever uses it is: Open the bird room windows(Yes, I'm getting a bird room soon!!), and ask mom to open the windows in the house. If I ever get an air purifier I'll turn that on as well:)

Most Reactions