I just discovered Aster sleeping...

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
I went into the bird room after bed time (I rarely do this and if I do I'm only in there a couple minutes with the lights off before I leave them be) and Aster was squeaking at me so I went to say hi to her since she likes kisses at night. I could find her in her cage. granted it was dark, the only light was from the hallway. But I wasn't seeing an definitive "bird" shape. Until I looked in the center at one of the toys shes had in the cage since I brought her home. I always assumed she slept near it because when I'd go into the room I typically heard the jingle of the bells that are on it. For reference its a toy like this; not exactly the same but it has one big ball with a O ring connected to a chain in the center and then chains coming out of the side with plastic toys and bells.

Anyways I look at this toy and she is sleeping under the toy. Pretty normal except THERES NO PERCH THERE.

Aster had one foot holding one of the side chains and then one foot in the O ring and she was just sleeping like that. What a weirdo. I didn't have my phone on me so I couldn't get a picture but I'll try next time. I can't understand how thats comfortable.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It would be wise not to take a picture like that unless it's day time and a flash is not needed. The last thing you need to to have your feathered friend take-off in a Night Flight and that could result in all kinds bad things happening!

Your Parrot finds comfort in that position! Why would you take that away. I have woken in enough contorted positions to respect someone else's!

This is one of those smile moments and be thankful your Parrot is getting a good nights sleep!!

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
It would be wise not to take a picture like that unless it's day time and a flash is not needed. The last thing you need to to have your feathered friend take-off in a Night Flight and that could result in all kinds bad things happening!

Your Parrot finds comfort in that position! Why would you take that away. I have woken in enough contorted positions to respect someone else's!

This is one of those smile moments and be thankful your Parrot is getting a good nights sleep!!
actually the cool thing about that is I just recently got a new phone that can take pictures at night without a flash! The subject just has to stay still for some seconds. it works pretty well.

OP
Owlet

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
First picture is a corner if my room without nightmode, second is with. No flash used.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230403_084739_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403_084739_Gallery.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20230403_084734_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230403_084734_Gallery.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 31

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I went into the bird room after bed time (I rarely do this and if I do I'm only in there a couple minutes with the lights off before I leave them be) and Aster was squeaking at me so I went to say hi to her since she likes kisses at night. I could find her in her cage. granted it was dark, the only light was from the hallway. But I wasn't seeing an definitive "bird" shape. Until I looked in the center at one of the toys shes had in the cage since I brought her home. I always assumed she slept near it because when I'd go into the room I typically heard the jingle of the bells that are on it. For reference its a toy like this; not exactly the same but it has one big ball with a O ring connected to a chain in the center and then chains coming out of the side with plastic toys and bells.

Anyways I look at this toy and she is sleeping under the toy. Pretty normal except THERES NO PERCH THERE.

Aster had one foot holding one of the side chains and then one foot in the O ring and she was just sleeping like that. What a weirdo. I didn't have my phone on me so I couldn't get a picture but I'll try next time. I can't understand how thats comfortable.
My Budgies have plenty of real perches and swings to sleep on but some of them like to sleep perched in 3" diameter zip-tie loops hanging in from the top of their cages. Or perched on the metal binder clips hanging into their cages that I clip their daily broccoli florets to. Or sleeping perched on the broccoli florets itself. Go figure!
I read that woodpeckers sleep inside tree hollows clinging to the walls rather than sitting on the bottom.
I've caught bumblebees sleeping in my cucumber flowers! They crawl in head first with their bee-butts sticking out and go to sleep!

Most Reactions

Latest posts