I Just Had to Share the Progress

KalieLovesBirds

Jul 30, 2015
Parrots
Ruby- 5 y.o. CAG;
Pharaoh, Emmy, and Sky-Quakers of unknown age;
Maui- 8 m.o. Catalina macaw
So, it has been a couple of months now since Buckwheat has come home and I would just like to say he has already come a long way. He now squawks with excitement when I pull into the driveway and either hangs from the side of the cage or sits right up to the corner in excitement waiting for me to come let him out. He is starting to open up to more foods (he will eat fresh banana now instead of only dried banana) which makes me incredibly happy. He is also beginning to talk when I am in the room instead of only when he is in a room away from people. He greets me with a 'Hello' in the morning when I come in to feed him before heading off to campus. He's playing with his toys more and wants to be engaged in what is going on.

The other day I brought him out to the dining room with me and had the radio playing and he climbed off my arm to go stand on the table and began to dance to the music and began quiet 'parrot talk' as if he was singing along to the radio. A few days before that I opened his cage door to let him come out on his own and he climbed up to the top of the cage to explore and quickly came back down all the way to the bottom and stood on the seed guard trying to get to the floor and kept looking at me as if to say "well aren't you going to come get me since I can't come to you?" and then began squawking (as if to scold me) when he could not reach the floor to come over by me ( I now have a small ladder attached from the seed guard to the floor incase he decides to want to come to the floor and walk around-- which I really hope he does).

I think one of the biggest progresses he has made though, is his feather growth from when he plucked.(hopefully the picture shows up of his current feathering) *Knock on wood* he hasn't plucked since the first few days he came home and most of his feathers have returned. The underside of both of his wings and both of his sides entirely were bare.

He still isn't a big fan of being pet/scratched, however, and will try to intimidate you when you try to pet him, but he will step up for multiple people without a problem (unless he is cranky).

I can't wait until he starts to turn into a mush mac and wants to pet, cuddled, played with and wants to walk around on the floor.

Sorry it is so long, but I just had to share :D

Attachments

• buckwheat's feather progress.jpg
    buckwheat's feather progress.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 171
Wonderful news. I had not thought about a ladder. I took the seed guard off my cage. Seemed like it was more trouble then help. I kept it on for a long time as a buffer zone from the dogs.

I know you are so happy . Love your Play Stand

The seed guard is a rather pain to clean, especially when his cage is as big as it is, but it definitely does the job with keeping the nut shells off the floor (and everything else when he has his rare fits where he is pissed at me and flings all of his food out of dish and then proceeds to give the death stare).

And thank you! It is actually my CAG's. I got Buckwheat one at a bird show but need to get a stand built for it so that it sits up higher.

KalieLovesBirds;529434 He still isn't a big fan of being pet/scratched said:
You'll get there. You're making progress.

When he tries to intimidate you, stand up to him, and then just ignore him for a little while. Let him come to you after those incidents.

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back