I love my budgie

Abick

Feb 14, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Any advice from budgie expects.
My son bought a male budgie from the pet shop. I didn’t want him but I’ve fallen in love with him.
He has a large cage but his cage door is only closed at night with a blanket over.
I work part time, the days I do work I come home at lunch time to check on him.
If the seed in his dish is running low he lets me know by flying in the kitchen, swooping past my head and if I don’t listen he lands on it.
I love him and try but it’s very much on his terms and not getting any tamer. I don’t want him to be lonely but I want to interact with him.
Should I get another budgie to make him happy?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Does he show signs of loneliness? And do you want another budgie FOR YOURSELF? If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can start researching for another bird.
Just be patient with taming. Try target training and some basic tricks. Offer plenty of treats and read his body language.

Just-unrelated to the thread, and I'll try not to go into too much detail, but could you consider switching him onto a pellet and chop diet, instead of seed?

Good luck with him, and if you have any pictures we'd love to see them :)

OP
A

Abick

Feb 14, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
He is never lonely for human company an squawks loudly to let you know he’s there. It’s hard to say. He’s never lonely for human company but how do I know if that makes him happy?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
He is never lonely for human company an squawks loudly to let you know he’s there. It’s hard to say. He’s never lonely for human company but how do I know if that makes him happy?
Birds are loud and they sometimes scream for no reason...lol. Pay attention to his body language. I cannot stress this enough. One look at his face, wings, tail, body, and you know what he's thinking.

OP
A

Abick

Feb 14, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Birds are loud and they sometimes scream for no reason...lol. Pay attention to his body language. I cannot stress this enough. One look at his face, wings, tail, body, and you know what he's thinking.
I’m so in tune with him. If I don’t open him cage he flys and squaks at the door until I open it. When he’s pecked all his seeds he’ll swoop my head in the kitchen to let me know it needs filling.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I’m so in tune with him. If I don’t open him cage he flys and squaks at the door until I open it. When he’s pecked all his seeds he’ll swoop my head in the kitchen to let me know it needs filling.
Ok, so why did you say you can't tell if he's happy?

OP
A

Abick

Feb 14, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Ok, so why did you say you can't tell if he's happy?
Because he doesn’t like me sticking my face in his cage every day other wise he’d come near me.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Because,... he doesn’t like me sticking my face in his cage every day other wise he’d come near me.
Because sticking your face in his cage is a violation of his boundaries and he doesn't want you doing it..

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
please do your research before getting a pet
Budgies are not a cute pretty little bird to keep in a cage. They're intelligent and have creativity, and you can have great times with them, if you have the heart to give them proper care. Here is my Cossie (short for Picasso) girl exploring my pens, and expressing happy behavior as budgies should (because you asked how to tell if a budgie is happy):

OP
A

Abick

Feb 14, 2022
Parrots
Budgie
Budgies are not a cute pretty little bird to keep in a cage. They're intelligent and have creativity, and you can have great times with them, if you have the heart to give them proper care. Here is my Cossie (short for Picasso) girl exploring my pens, and expressing happy behavior as budgies should:
View attachment 35806
Budgies are not a cute pretty little bird to keep in a cage. They're intelligent and have creativity, and you can have great times with them, if you have the heart to give them proper care. Here is my Cossie (short for Picasso) girl exploring my pens, and expressing happy behavior as budgies should:
View attachment 35806
T

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Budgies usually take easily to leafy greens, like romaine abd Swiss shard, as well as nibbles on broccoli a d other veggies.

Yiu can stuff a leaf through tge bars and he will likely nibble. Others offer in a small plate.

An all seed diet is not complete. And really tgey love having veggies leafy lettuce added to their diet. It may take awhile or he may love day one. My budgies all love when veggies are offered .

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Does he show signs of loneliness? And do you want another budgie FOR YOURSELF? If the answer to both questions is yes, then you can start researching for another bird.
Just be patient with taming. Try target training and some basic tricks. Offer plenty of treats and read his body language.

Just-unrelated to the thread, and I'll try not to go into too much detail, but could you consider switching him onto a pellet and chop diet, instead of seed?

Good luck with him, and if you have any pictures we'd love to see them :)
I disagree with this, I believe budgies do need some seed in their diet, as well as pellets and chop.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Lilla (senegal parrot)
I disagree with this, I believe budgies do need some seed in their diet, as well as pellets and chop.
That is true. Budgies are seed-eating birds in the wild, so more seed in captivity than some other species. I guess I just meant...MORE pellets/chop than seed, because all birds need a more balanced diet than just two things.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
Yes, for sure, each of my budgies get a teaspoon of seed in their chop, but I wouldn't go for anything more, especially because of training.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Okay, enough.
Abick came here for help, and this is not help.
You can be passionate without being rude. Running off someone who is looking for help doesn't help anyone, especially the bird. We are here to help, and I strongly urge posters to remember that.

I have deleted several posts here and I truly hope I don't have to delete anymore.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Any advice from budgie expects.
My son bought a male budgie from the pet shop. I didn’t want him but I’ve fallen in love with him.
He has a large cage but his cage door is only closed at night with a blanket over.
I work part time, the days I do work I come home at lunch time to check on him.
If the seed in his dish is running low he lets me know by flying in the kitchen, swooping past my head and if I don’t listen he lands on it.
I love him and try but it’s very much on his terms and not getting any tamer. I don’t want him to be lonely but I want to interact with him.
Should I get another budgie to make him happy?
This is a wonderful thread about how to build trust with your budgie:

Tips for Bonding and Building Trust

It takes time and patience, but as much as you love your budgie I have faith you can build a wonderful bond with him.

Theo_the _best_birb!!!

Sep 22, 2021
Budgies are not a cute pretty little bird to keep in a cage. They're intelligent and have creativity, and you can have great times with them, if you have the heart to give them proper care. Here is my Cossie (short for Picasso) girl exploring my pens, and expressing happy behavior as budgies should (because you asked how to tell if a budgie is happy):
View attachment 35806
They are adorable! Omg

Most Reactions

Latest posts