I need help finding the best bird for me

JoshyAstro

Apr 18, 2022
I am building a 3ft x 3ft x 2ft enclosure and would love to get some sort of small /medium bird species but am struggling to find the right one for me.
Ideally I would like it to be a quieter species so that my parents allow it and it doesn't disturb the neighbours but also I am at school 5 days a week so will need a bird that does not need constant attention (happy to get a pair if that helps).
Any ideas??

Attachments

• 20220416_123208.jpg
    20220416_123208.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 16502946648818054585472513243105.jpg
    16502946648818054585472513243105.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 58

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I wouldn’t recommend budgies, gcc, IRN/ARN or quackers
They are on the noisier side of birds
Budgies aren’t noisy but its constant chattering
Pi’s and Senegals are on the more experienced side of birds + the size is too small to fit one.

I think a cockatiel would be perfect!
Females are very quite (compering them to other birds) while males can be more vocal but can learn to sing Tunes
Also their calls are joyful tweets instead of ear splitting screams
Some videos of how they sound like:

And a male’s singing

great read on differences of a male anf female cockatiel

I would recommend a female pair if your getting two
The thing is with male pairs is that once one starts singing or becomes vocal the other will follow and it can go on for a long time also some males tend to be more territorial over their cage and will attack any bird with it

A read about housing multiple cockatiels

Take your time while searching for a bird! Dont rush and pick a bird that picks you

Last edited:

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
I'll add that a pair (of any species) doesn't need constant attention at all.

Mentioned above Quaker parrot is not a quiet species at all. Budgies - they chirp a lot but the noise level isn't high enough to disturb neighbors.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that cage is a death trap! A bird will develop heavy metal poisoning because of the wire fabric! Sorry! Also, low to the floor isn’t good for several reasons!

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I am building a 3ft x 3ft x 2ft enclosure and would love to get some sort of small /medium bird species but am struggling to find the right one for me.
Ideally I would like it to be a quieter species so that my parents allow it and it doesn't disturb the neighbours but also I am at school 5 days a week so will need a bird that does not need constant attention (happy to get a pair if that helps).
Any ideas??
Some quieter bird include:
Budgies
Canaries
Cockatiels(females at least)
Bourke parakeets
Finches

They aren't noise free, but they don't screech like a large parrot. Budgies chatter throughout the day and occasionally screech(as stated by Zoruace), but it's not nearly as bad as say a cockatoo or Indian ring neck. Cockatiels are a bit noisy but it's not too bad, although some are very noisy. Canaries are not quiet but they sing very beautifully so it's not an issue, I've owned one before. Finches are also not very noisy. From what I heard, bourkes are mostly quiet.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sorry to rain on your parade, but that cage is a death trap! A bird will develop heavy metal poisoning because of the wire fabric! Sorry! Also, low to the floor isn’t good for several reasons!
The wire appears to be pvc/plastic wire which is or for finches/canaries some budgies/small parakeets.

I agree with the floor statement, it is best to keep them higher as they feel more secure and it's safer.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
The wire appears to be pvc/plastic wire which is or for finches/canaries some budgies/small parakeets.

I agree with the floor statement, it is best to keep them higher as they feel more secure and it's safer.
Second look, I think you are correct about the plastic mesh!

OP
JoshyAstro

JoshyAstro

Apr 18, 2022
Good thing I can build some legs
Thankyou
I wouldn’t recommend budgies, gcc, IRN/ARN or quackers
They are on the noisier side of birds
Budgies aren’t noisy but its constant chattering
Pi’s and Senegals are on the more experienced side of birds + the size is too small to fit one.

I think a cockatiel would be perfect!
Females are very quite (compering them to other birds) while males can be more vocal but can learn to sing Tunes
Also their calls are joyful tweets instead of ear splitting screams
Some videos of how they sound like:

And a male’s singing

great read on differences of a male anf female cockatiel

I would recommend a female pair if your getting two
The thing is with male pairs is that once one starts singing or becomes vocal the other will follow and it can go on for a long time also some males tend to be more territorial over their cage and will attack any bird with it

A read about housing multiple cockatiels

Take your time while searching for a bird! Dont rush and pick a bird that picks you
I read online they grow to 12 - 14 inches, would it be mean keeping two in this size enclosure?? They'd be ⅓ of the height

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Thankyou

I read online they grow to 12 - 14 inches, would it be mean keeping two in this size enclosure?? They'd be ⅓ of the height
I just realised the size of the cage-..
It’s too small for a pair
It might work for one if he won’t be in it for long

Most Reactions