I need to get albies leg band removed

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
He just got his band caught on a toy . Thankfully i was right next to him when I happened and that hubby was home too so we got him unstuck very quickly,with in a couple of minutes of my noticing his panicked flapping to getting him unstuck (although I may have broken our trust as I had to grab him firmly and he's chewed up my thumb pretty good ...lots of blood ) he seems OK, weight bearing, his grip is as good as always but is extra cuddly with hubby and avoiding me (although he is accepting seed from me)

So I'm making an appointment for him to get it removed .

My question is how simple of a procedure is it ? And is there anything I need to watch out for while I wait for an appointment?

It was so scary ,seeing Albie panic like he was .

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Stitch, I'm sorry to hear about Albie's misadventure - I'm so glad he's ok though!! I'm sorry you got chomped too, in my experience that hurts the heart a lot more than it hurts the fingers :(

I had my Lilly's leg band removed for exactly that reason, she was always getting herself into scrapes and it would have been inevitable she'd have got herself stuck and maybe hurt herself eventually too. Her leg ring was the open sort made of aluminium, and it was thankfully a pretty easy matter for her vet to remove it just with a pair of snips - I actually didn't see him do it because it was during COVID restrictions so I wasn't allowed in the clinic at the time but it took him all of about 2 seconds to remove it. Hopefully it will be the same for you and Albie. And I don't think he will hold a grudge against you for long for rescuing him from that toy - although he is smart enough use it as a bit of emotional blackmail for a little while. :)

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Oh Stitch, I'm sorry to hear about Albie's misadventure - I'm so glad he's ok though!! I'm sorry you got chomped too, in my experience that hurts the heart a lot more than it hurts the fingers :(

I had my Lilly's leg band removed for exactly that reason, she was always getting herself into scrapes and it would have been inevitable she'd have got herself stuck and maybe hurt herself eventually too. Her leg ring was the open sort made of aluminium, and it was thankfully a pretty easy matter for her vet to remove it just with a pair of snips - I actually didn't see him do it because it was during COVID restrictions so I wasn't allowed in the clinic at the time but it took him all of about 2 seconds to remove it. Hopefully it will be the same for you and Albie. And I don't think he will hold a grudge against you for long for rescuing him from that toy - although he is smart enough use it as a bit of emotional blackmail for a little while. :)
The bites definitely hurt my heart more than my thumb, it was awful .

He has a closed band , but I would imagine it'll be the same process surely ?

I'm going through his toys now and getting rid of anything similar

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I imagine it would be, perhaps just the two snips rather than one in that case :) Hopefully they'll let you know how they'll go about it when you make the appointment - I hope it's stress free for all involved 🙏

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I imagine it would be, perhaps just the two snips rather than one in that case :) Hopefully they'll let you know how they'll go about it when you make the appointment - I hope it's stress free for all involved 🙏
So do I

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Same thing happened to Salty, and we had it removed ( but kept safe for future ID). Very simple for a vet with the right tools to take it off, No biggie,
That's reassuring to hear ,thank you

RatFluffz

Jul 12, 2022
Parrots
Ladybird - Goffin's Cockatoo
Nibbler - Green Cheeked-Conure
He just got his band caught on a toy . Thankfully i was right next to him when I happened and that hubby was home too so we got him unstuck very quickly,with in a couple of minutes of my noticing his panicked flapping to getting him unstuck (although I may have broken our trust as I had to grab him firmly and he's chewed up my thumb pretty good ...lots of blood ) he seems OK, weight bearing, his grip is as good as always but is extra cuddly with hubby and avoiding me (although he is accepting seed from me)

So I'm making an appointment for him to get it removed .

My question is how simple of a procedure is it ? And is there anything I need to watch out for while I wait for an appointment?

It was so scary ,seeing Albie panic like he was .
My GCC has gotten his band stuck between two of his claws/toes, we are thinking about getting it removed, too. I hope the procedure goes/went well!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
My GCC has gotten his band stuck between two of his claws/toes, we are thinking about getting it removed, too. I hope the procedure goes/went well!
Thank you I appreciate it.

On a good note, he's back to being my snuggly baby .

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We have had Kirby’s (open band) removed, and Sammy is next (we didn’t get it removed at her first appointment as we weren’t getting her microchipped at that time). I’m not sure if your vet microchips birds that small, but it might be worth considering, as without a chip the bands are often used to ID birds if they are lost or stolen.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Removal of leg bands are highly recommended as the likelihood of them get caught increases with the activity of the Parrot! The reason they are used now-a-days is strictly for the breeder to keep track of the hatchings. Once out of the nest and out to their new home, they sever no purpose as near no Breeders are buying custom bands with numbering systems that provides a lead back to them. With smaller Parrots they have switched to plastic as driven by cost as aluminum becomes more expensive. Steel is no longer used as rusting had been a problem from early-

Your Avian Vet or Avian Vet Tech has two different tools to remove them and all three types are quickly removed. Current market: Plastic (variation in color), Aluminum closed, Aluminum open.

It has been over forty-years that there was any meaning to the number /date system.

Microchips are the only identification that is proof of ownership in North America and Western Europe. But are only recommended for medium to large Parrots. There is another form of identification, but it is no longer used by Avian Vets. That practice stop about 20 years ago.

Aaaa, true love!! The strength of the trust bond is a joy to see and be part of!!

Sorry for the near same moment Posting!!

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Removal of leg bands are highly recommended as the likelihood of them get caught increases with the activity of the Parrot! The reason they are used now-a-days is strictly for the breeder to keep track of the hatchings. Once out of the nest and out to their new home, they sever no purpose as near no Breeders are buying custom bands with numbering systems that provides a lead back to them. With smaller Parrots they have switched to plastic as driven by cost as aluminum becomes more expensive. Steel is no longer used as rusting had been a problem from early-

Your Avian Vet or Avian Vet Tech has two different tools to remove them and all three types are quickly removed. Current market: Plastic (variation in color), Aluminum closed, Aluminum open.

It has been over forty-years that there was any meaning to the number /date system.

Microchips are the only identification that is proof of ownership in North America and Western Europe. But are only recommended for medium to large Parrots. There is another form of identification, but it is no longer used by Avian Vets. That practice stop about 20 years ago.

Aaaa, true love!! The strength of the trust bond is a joy to see and be part of!!

Sorry for the near same moment Posting!!
I know that here in the UK we have nano microchips which are far smaller than a standard chip (I'm a trained chipper for cats dogs and rabbits and they were developed for small animals )

Any way I'll let you all know how we get on at the vets once I've got an appointment made,which will be tomorrow when I have the dates of when I'm next off.

I'm curious , what was the other form of identification? Was it tattooing? I've seen dogs with I.d numbers on the inside of their thighs and ears , usually foreign import rescues or because the dogs was on the dangerous dogs watch list .

𝕾𝖙𝖔𝖗𝖒𝖞𝕻𝖎𝖈𝖆

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'm curious , what was the other form of identification? Was it tattooing? I've seen dogs with I.d numbers on the inside of their thighs and ears , usually foreign import rescues or because the dogs was on the dangerous dogs watch list .
I'm curious too. I know tattooing would be extremely dangerous for birds, though.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
I find it absolutely ridiculous that the 2 closest Avian vets say I'm out if their catchment area (20 and 35 mins away) , yet the last vet I rang who is and hour and 20 mins away is more than happy to see us a week tomorrow to get his band removed

But I'm a bit scared driving so far on my own.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I find it absolutely ridiculous that the 2 closest Avian vets say I'm out if their catchment area (20 and 35 mins away) , yet the last vet I rang who is and hour and 20 mins away is more than happy to see us a week tomorrow to get his band removed

But I'm a bit scared driving so far on my own.
Ridiculous!!!
Wishing you safe round trip. Take a cooler with drinks and snacks.
Check your oil level and tire pressure. Share your trip details with friends and family .

To me an hour and half is not bad. But now thst my car has been acting up ...I get it

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Ridiculous!!!
Wishing you safe round trip. Take a cooler with drinks and snacks.
Check your oil level and tire pressure. Share your trip details with friends and family .

To me an hour and half is not bad. But now thst my car has been acting up ...I get it

I will do , thank you . My mother in law is coming on the trip with us too . The snacks and drinks sound like a good idea .

I'll be avoiding the motor way /high ways because I don't know what I'm doing on them (I've only been on one which is more like a dual carriage way as its a 50mph limit and only 2 lanes ) so it'll be the senic route for us !

I hope your vet trip goes well with ona , onamom .

Most Reactions