I want a bird but…

K31T4_

Feb 2, 2022
I’m interested in getting into bird keeping but I’m not sure about it. I’ve been reading a lot. I learned they are sensitive to smells/fumes, especially teflon. Even if I swap out everything, it feels like there’s still a lot of things are dangerous to them. If I iron some clothes in a different room once, the birds will somehow die or the neighbors will have a teflon BBQ and then it’ll enter the doors if I open them etc. I feel like they are difficult to keep because of their sensitive respiratory systems and it’s keeping me from getting a bird. I did own rodents and they are also sensitive to smells, (they lived long until old age) but they have different respiratory systems though. I wouldn’t put the bird cage anywhere in this 2 story house other than a dedicated bird friendly bedroom with an air purifier running. The main areas of the house is rather open and when people cook, it fills the whole house with food smells. We don’t have any other fragrances, candles, sprays, plug in scents, chemicals, etc. in the main areas just occasionally spraying a smelly bathroom. So yeah, I don’t know if I want a bird or not. I worry about it’s well being and want the best for it. Also, I’m curious about your setups. Like where in the house do you keep the cages, do you use air purifiers, etc.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Hi! I think it's a risk that you should decide to take or not. I'm sure that if they have and air purifier running while you are using an iron(and closing doors and if possible opening windows), and that their room is on a different floor, it should be fine. I don't currently have cage setup pics, but I will send some later!(edit: or when I have time lol)

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
What bird are you planning on getting? I can try find some info on that species :)

OP
K

K31T4_

Feb 2, 2022
What bird are you planning on getting? I can try find some info on that species :)
I was going to visit a rescue and see what they have. Most likely getting a small-medium sized bird which would have free range of the dedicated bedroom (yes I’ll still have a big main cage for it). But no matter the type of bird, they’re all equally sensitive to fumes. While reading about birds, it gave the impression that fumes are everywhere and in everything and even if you tuck them away in a ventilated room and tried to air out the house etc. it did not prevent fumes from reaching them and they somehow die. Maybe it’s over exaggerated and not the actual reality, but it’s a concern of mine. I guess I’ll try it out and see what happens.

Birdgirl24

Dec 2, 2021
North Dakota
Parrots
I have 1 budgie, He is a male both. I have been looking into getting an Eclectus Parrot tho.
I was going to visit a rescue and see what they have. Most likely getting a small-medium sized bird which would have free range of the dedicated bedroom (yes I’ll still have a big main cage for it). But no matter the type of bird, they’re all equally sensitive to fumes. While reading about birds, it gave the impression that fumes are everywhere and in everything and even if you tuck them away in a ventilated room and tried to air out the house etc. it did not prevent fumes from reaching them and they somehow die. Maybe it’s over exaggerated and not the actual reality, but it’s a concern of mine. I guess I’ll try it out and see what happens.
Birds are have very fragile respiratory systems that's true but that seems a bit exaggerated i would go as fall as saying stay away from Teflon, candles, that air spray i forget what its called, and toxic metals those are just basically the main things i'd focus on that are most important depends on if your bird is a chewer you may want to bird proof cords. And don't forget about harmful things they could get into such as avocados and chocolate.

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
It’s not hard to just avoid anything dangerous, Teflon, toxic foods, candles, air freshener, Lysol, etc…and this just seems kind of exaggerated even though I love that you are so concerned for the bird’s safety. Do a ton of research and be safe, you don’t have to worry this much (though you still should!).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Respect for considering all aspects and especially safety before purchase!! Visiting a sanctuary and volunteering if possible excellent way of validating your interest and narrowing choices.

Household hazards very real and occasionally overstated. Eliminating items and scents discussed in previous posts helpful including cooking items with Teflon or PFOA/PTFE coatings. Quality air purifier a must if you or others in household have significant allergies.

OP
K

K31T4_

Feb 2, 2022
Thank you everyone for the responses. As far as I am aware, the only issues I seem to have is some cookware and an old space heater which I’ll be replacing. I can’t seem to find information on this discontinued heater, so I’ll be getting a new one or considering different alternatives to warming a room up (which is for human use).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thank you everyone for the responses. As far as I am aware, the only issues I seem to have is some cookware and an old space heater which I’ll be replacing. I can’t seem to find information on this discontinued heater, so I’ll be getting a new one or considering different alternatives to warming a room up (which is for human use).
By far best space heaters are electric oil-filled radiators. Totally inert, on wheels for quick movement!
61r0biuK68L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
While keeping a bird in a distant room might help with fumes and toxins, it’s not a guarantee…and could cause other problems. Parrots don’t want to be alone all day. Even in a big room, with lots of toys to chew up, they need company. They will want to be close to the center of action in the house, someplace where they can see everyone and everything and get lots of attention. They will need a LOT of time outside of the cage, and a lot of one-on-one interaction with their person. Are there dogs, cats, other animals in the house that could be dangerous? Children? Birds kept in isolation can go insane and suffer terribly. Being alone is very stressful for them and it’s hard wired.

OP
K

K31T4_

Feb 2, 2022
While keeping a bird in a distant room might help with fumes and toxins, it’s not a guarantee…and could cause other problems. Parrots don’t want to be alone all day. Even in a big room, with lots of toys to chew up, they need company. They will want to be close to the center of action in the house, someplace where they can see everyone and everything and get lots of attention. They will need a LOT of time outside of the cage, and a lot of one-on-one interaction with their person. Are there dogs, cats, other animals in the house that could be dangerous? Children? Birds kept in isolation can go insane and suffer terribly. Being alone is very stressful for them and it’s hard wired.
I work from home and the other members are also home 24/7 (no children). I am aware they are not something you just put in a cage/room and forget about, animals are family, need bonding, need their outside time, etc. I didn't mean what I said as leaving them alone in a room doing their own thing, of course, I'll be there with it, it will have family interactions, and all that. I was figuring out a good spot for the cage because I do want the bird around us too, but then I learned about how sensitive their respiratory systems are and thought I should place their cage away in a "bird room". So I guess there's no guarantee about fumes/toxins and you put them wherever (except kitchen). I'm personally sensitive to fumes so I am adamant about what we use around the house and how we go about things and I run an air purifier/filter 24/7. There are no other pets in the household and outside is dangerous because the wandering neighborhood cats are hunters.

Doscar

Aug 18, 2021
Kentucky
Parrots
Oscar a 14-year-old blue gold macaw.
Coco a 22-year-old Congo African grey.
Oscar was a rescue I am his 3rd home and hopefully last.
Coco is from an older couple, I'm his 2nd home.
If anybody has ever watched the movie "Dark Waters" (based on a true story) you have probably already thrown out your forever chemical (Teflon) pans. It's not just bad for birds. Cast iron is better anyway. I don't have a pic of my cage set up either, but both my boys cages are in between my living room and kitchen, if they were in a dedicated room, I don't think they would be happy. They both scream if they are not being paid any attention.
Definitely keep doing research this forum is a gold mine of knowledge and experience.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts