I would really like to know how old my new dude is!!

How to determine a bird's age - ParrotChronicles.com Ask A Vet

This is the only site that mentions how to age a bird, but it still leaves things vague. Basically you can only tell if a bird is really young or not. I think beyond maybe 3 years it becomes impossible to tell. RLAs mature at 3-5, so if you can find no signs of youth mentioned in the article (however scant they are) there's a good chance it's mature.

Thank u!! I'll look at the website!!!

What a handsome little guy he is! Looks well cared for and in good health too. Just my opinion (and lots of experience with zons), he doesn't look like a juvenile but he can't be that old either. His plumage, nails and beak are that of a bird 5-40 years old. It's just a subtle thing, but he doesn't have that "baby" look about him. He also doesn't have faded plumage, thin patches, overgrown "gnarled" nails and beak or visible eye problems older (40+) birds tend to have due to age. His head color is also still confined to just his head with a little patchy spread down his neck. With most amazons, their head colors will spread down their neck and throat as they age, and by 20-30 y/o, MOST will have rather solid head color all the way down. As I said before, you'll probably never know for sure, but it's probably safe to assume the prior owner was spot on saying he was around 10. He looks like a younger, sexually mature bird.

And as just a point of reference, if you compare (yes I know their different species, try to look beyond that) the quality of plumage, nails and beak with our roughly 15 y/o amazon, you will see a lot of similarities. If you look close at some other folks profile pics who have older birds, you will see what I'm talking about with faded plumage and variations in nails and beaks of older birds. Regardless, best of luck to you! He looks quite feisty lol.

Thank u for your knowledge!! And yes he's feisty lol!!!!!:D

Red Loreds feet are a light grey, not pink. Can you post a pic or send a pic from FB to a Friend who can upload it and create a link?

His feet are gray so I have nooo idea what the ppl at the pet store were talkin about!!! U have RL amazon?

Red Loreds feet are a light grey, not pink. Can you post a pic or send a pic from FB to a Friend who can upload it and create a link?

His feet are gray so I have nooo idea what the ppl at the pet store were talkin about!!! U have RL amazon?

Yes, I have a Red Lored Male that was just 5 yrs old in Sept. Age is hard to tell with them, but yours appears to be quite young still. Remember even at 15 or 20 they are younger birds considering they can live to be 60-75 yrs old.

Yes, I have a Red Lored Male that was just 5 yrs old in Sept. Age is hard to tell with them, but yours appears to be quite young still. Remember even at 15 or 20 they are younger birds considering they can live to be 60-75 yrs old.

Yeah I've gotten over not knowing how old he is lol. He's a great bird and that's all I need to be thinkin about! My bird groomer person says she thinks he's 12ish so at least I kinda know

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back