if you bought a blue & gold

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
or ill get set 2 cages up on in empty room for him to sleep and one in living room

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
BE2 (Ivory), B&G Macaw (Max), Budgie Group,
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
I totally misunderstood the painting!!! :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
Where are you located? I can go on Craigslist in my area and find Blue & Gold Macaws all the time for around $800.00 from back yard breeders. If you have this ability, I would rather go that route rather than ordering a bird you have never had contact with previously and have to go through the shipping process. I'm located in central Florida.

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Granbirds- tiels; GCC (Monkey & Monster); Sun Conure (Loki); Bare Eyed Too (Folger); Evil Green Monster YNA (Kelly); B&G (Titan)
If you believe in signs, think you might want to reconsider a shelter baby.... seems like you keep getting close with breeders and things fall thru. Might be a sign that a visit to a bird rescue is what you should do!!

You said that Delmar, MD was not too far from you.... If Delmar, MD is not a bad drive from where you are in VA, then how far is Fairfax? Landing Rescue is based out of Fairfax in Virginia. Contact them and see what they have available for adoption. I'm a big advocate for adoption, and there are so many wonderful B&Gs needing homes thru no fault of their own. Nothing more rewarding them working with a shelter baby :)

Have you done a search thru petfinder? You might be driving youself nuts with breeders when a great bird is sitting in a shelter waiting for you!

JJones1719

Mar 9, 2011
Media
MD
Parrots
7 Year old SI Eclectus named Guapo, I have a 6 year old GW Macaw named Neleno
You may also check our mountainridgeaviary.com contact Jeanette who is my Breeder. She is located in VA and am located in MD. Thanks Joe

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
You may also check our mountainridgeaviary.com contact Jeanette who is my Breeder. She is located in VA and am located in MD. Thanks Joe

ive been talking to her she waiting on eggs B&G havnt laid any yet she said a friend got one from her Jeanette said she would email me or call when they have eggs so I know

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
If you believe in signs, think you might want to reconsider a shelter baby.... seems like you keep getting close with breeders and things fall thru. Might be a sign that a visit to a bird rescue is what you should do!!

You said that Delmar, MD was not too far from you.... If Delmar, MD is not a bad drive from where you are in VA, then how far is Fairfax? Landing Rescue is based out of Fairfax in Virginia. Contact them and see what they have available for adoption. I'm a big advocate for adoption, and there are so many wonderful B&Gs needing homes thru no fault of their own. Nothing more rewarding them working with a shelter baby :)

Have you done a search thru petfinder? You might be driving youself nuts with breeders when a great bird is sitting in a shelter waiting for you!
one in Fairfax don't have b&g right now and the other one is Phoenix Landing Foundation and I live to far away they have B&G just im to far away I have to live within 100 mile and im 150 mile I go there on way back form my grandparents atleast 2 times a year they got a lot of nice birds

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
Where are you located? I can go on Craigslist in my area and find Blue & Gold Macaws all the time for around $800.00 from back yard breeders. If you have this ability, I would rather go that route rather than ordering a bird you have never had contact with previously and have to go through the shipping process. I'm located in central Florida.

im in clear brook va 22624 fl prices are way cheaper then here but they sell quick they go for 1300-1700 here for b&g

jenphilly

Oct 15, 2013
Lehigh Valley, PA
Parrots
Contact Lair of Dragons in Lancaster, PA area. She is a small home shelter, but has a series of foster homes. We helped our birdsitter adopt her first bird and it was thru Lair. She might have a B&G in a foster home closer to you that you could meet or work with to see how it goes.

I know she does not usually have all her birds out on petfinder. She is a nice lady, if she can help in any way, she will.

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Apparently, the North Pole.
Being a wolf hybrid is no excuse for them to damage your house. They should've been better trained than that. I had a 2/3 wolf hybrid, and she was a pain to train, but it was possible.

If I'm reading this correctly, I'll continue.

Just because a black lab sleeps right through loud noises, that doesn't mean a bird will. Birds need uninterrupted sleep, meaning no loud noises, no light, no disturbance.

At this point, it really doesn't sound like you're ready for a macaw. I'm sorry, but it doesn't. That's just my two cents. I am not trying to flame you or degrade you, that is just my honest opinion.

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
they were trained it was days when they were left in the house alone for more then 4 hours mine where 3/4 they would howl anytime left alone and u know how wolfs drink they suck don't lick like dogs or bark and they were just trying to dig a hole by the doors and ive been around bird plenty just never owned a macaw I no longer work home full time been reading up on them awhile now atleast 6 months I know I have to give it plenty of time each day and they are more needy then a 2 year old just have kids they are a little noisy at time and 2 English bull dogs kids get up around 7 am and out by 12 am so it is noisy so I have time to get the kids to slow down on the sounds and running around cant be no worst then the macaws that live in a pet store 24/7

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
Contact Lair of Dragons in Lancaster, PA area. She is a small home shelter, but has a series of foster homes. We helped our birdsitter adopt her first bird and it was thru Lair. She might have a B&G in a foster home closer to you that you could meet or work with to see how it goes.

I know she does not usually have all her birds out on petfinder. She is a nice lady, if she can help in any way, she will.

ill check her out doesn't have to be a b&g just that's the one I wanted

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Then they should have been crated. Any dog that is destructive needs to be crated appropriately. And as for the digging, they should've been in a chain linked yard with a chain link cover on it. My hybrid was 2/3 wolf, 1/3 husky. She was loud as hell, but when she was inside, she knew better than to be loud. They are most definitely trainable. But if you ever yelled at them, or never appropriately kenneled them, then they are just going to continue because they don't know any better. It was your job to teach them to know better. Just like with children.

Pet shops are not ideal places for any animal. You think any of them get proper care or sleep? No. No, I bet they don't. Very few places, in my opinion, actually take into consideration the specific needs of animals, especially birds.

Don't just go and buy a macaw. Spend time at rescues specifically with the macaws. No amount of research is comparable to the real thing. And don't just spend time with one macaw... Spend time with many. No bird is going to be the same.

Again, I am not trying to be rude or uncouth towards you. I apologize if it seems so.

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
Then they should have been crated. Any dog that is destructive needs to be crated appropriately. And as for the digging, they should've been in a chain linked yard with a chain link cover on it. My hybrid was 2/3 wolf, 1/3 husky. She was loud as hell, but when she was inside, she knew better than to be loud. They are most definitely trainable. But if you ever yelled at them, or never appropriately kenneled them, then they are just going to continue because they don't know any better. It was your job to teach them to know better. Just like with children.

Pet shops are not ideal places for any animal. You think any of them get proper care or sleep? No. No, I bet they don't. Very few places, in my opinion, actually take into consideration the specific needs of animals, especially birds.

Don't just go and buy a macaw. Spend time at rescues specifically with the macaws. No amount of research is comparable to the real thing. And don't just spend time with one macaw... Spend time with many. No bird is going to be the same.

Again, I am not trying to be rude or uncouth towards you. I apologize if it seems so.

they weren't in a chain link cage that's in the house when left alone when its really hot out we would leave in the living room basement by both of the doors and a hole in the wall by one door they were like family just like all the pets we had if someone was home they were the best dogs but for using crates they would break them they went through a few and the flooring is old you cant see it door mats
my brother has a macaws well its his wife and it was crazy when he first got it now its great so I pretty much know what im getting into just using this site to make sure im really ready reading up asking dumb ? and stuff
I know its going to be a forever member of the family just like anything I get i plan on it for awhile make sure i have everything it needs before i get it and set money aside for if it gets sick and i like it when people point stuff out just makes me read up on it more

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
I'm not sure if I'm reading any of this appropriately.

You should've crate trained them. Not every single dog can be crate trained, but it's certainly possible. You can't just stick them in there and expect them not to panic. And I don't mean to just leave them outside in the chain link fence all the time... My hybrid was able to climb chain link, or could dig underneath it. We had concrete poured and a cover put on the kennel outside. Hybrids require more care than "normal" dogs, especially the wolf hybrids. You cannot blame them for their actions.

And no, I honestly do not believe that you know what you're getting into. Playing with a bird, interacting with a bird, etc for a few hours or days at a time is nothing compared to full-time owning of a bird-- especially a bird like a macaw. There is a huge difference.

If this is your first time actually owning a big bird (maybe you've had budgies or tiels in the past?), I wouldn't get a macaw. I wouldn't get a macaw to save my life. Nor would I get a cockatoo as my first big bird. No matter how much research or interacting you do with a bird, there is nothing that will compare to actually full time owning the bird.

Cambear

Jan 28, 2014
Any kind of hybrid, that's no excuse for improper training. A macaw, with the nails and beak, could do a hell of a lot of damage, just like a hybrid could. There was an old thread I read on here about someone's sun conure totally eating the top of their door or door frame, ruining the floor boards, etc. All it took was some training, and as far as I know, she is no longer having any issues.

All it takes it some training. There is no untrainable animal.

Hybrids are more wild than domestic dogs. Birds are not domestic animals. They are wild animals. I truly wish you luck on training a macaw if you had issues with two hybrids.

OP
J

jpeff

Mar 19, 2014
Any kind of hybrid, that's no excuse for improper training. A macaw, with the nails and beak, could do a hell of a lot of damage, just like a hybrid could. There was an old thread I read on here about someone's sun conure totally eating the top of their door or door frame, ruining the floor boards, etc. All it took was some training, and as far as I know, she is no longer having any issues.

All it takes it some training. There is no untrainable animal.

Hybrids are more wild than domestic dogs. Birds are not domestic animals. They are wild animals. I truly wish you luck on training a macaw if you had issues with two hybrids.

if you say u can train a hybrid yea little things they not dogs I pretty sure u didn't have one or u would know this it not a dog its wild they learn little things nothing like a dog at all my mom side of the family still has about 6 hybrid wolfs they breed and sell for about 20 years so don't give me a bunch of bull about training a true hybrid wolf not a dog that looks like a wolf what state u in most u need a prement for a true hybrid wolf and not talking about some back yard breeder that says its hybrid when its not
so if you think you can train a hybrid wolf like a dog your full of it thanks good day

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Please, no more talk of wolves, hybrids, dogs, and/or training them, or this thread will be closed as it's WAY off topic now.

Jpeff, I have a very small favor to ask of you. Would you please use punctuation (commas, periods, paragraphs, etc) when you write? It's extremely difficult to read posts without it.

Thank you.

Most Reactions