Im having an issue with Albie and i need some help.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
He has taken to waking up at 4:30 am every morning for the past couple of weeks. Now it wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the screaming, and I can't have him waking the neighbours. We get up pretty quickly , but when we do , he usually falls back to sleep with in 30 mins.

It doesn't matter what time I put him to bed 7pm,10pm,midnight, he will start screaming at 4:30

He is covered because he now prefers it, our room where his sleep cage is , is dark with black out curtains and usually around 18°c

I'm at a loss of what to do and I do t do well when I have disturbed sleep. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
With the precision of the timing, something is waking your Parrot-up either within your home or just outside. Likely a light or noise.

If you are not covering your Parrot's sleeping cage, consider covering, by starting on one side that faces a window or door.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
With the precision of the timing, something is waking your Parrot-up either within your home or just outside. Likely a light or noise.

If you are not covering your Parrot's sleeping cage, consider covering, by starting on one side that faces a window or door.
We already cover his cage and it's fully wrapped up haha so I don't think it's light .

I can't think of any noises it could be either.

Last night/this morning we lifted his covers so he could see it was still dark and he did settle back down for a couple of hours .

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Is the cover really black? Is there some bird or something that does it's dawn chorus that early that he can hear? Would it be worth moving him somewhere else to break the habit? If he is in your room perhaps there is something that you do that wakes him - could he go somewhere else even if it's only when you go to bed? The only other thing I can think of is some sort of white noise. A very low volume radio perhaps near the cage so just he can hear it. Gosh if Syd started that I would go ape. I have to say that Syd is very prone to habitual behaviour so perhaps it will take a complete change to shift it.

ps the only other thing I do is cover him on top of his blackout cover with a blanket. I do it in winter for extra warmth but it also acts as a bit of a sound barrier.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Is the cover really black? Is there some bird or something that does it's dawn chorus that early that he can hear? Would it be worth moving him somewhere else to break the habit? If he is in your room perhaps there is something that you do that wakes him - could he go somewhere else even if it's only when you go to bed? The only other thing I can think of is some sort of white noise. A very low volume radio perhaps near the cage so just he can hear it. Gosh if Syd started that I would go ape. I have to say that Syd is very prone to habitual behaviour so perhaps it will take a complete change to shift it.
Yeah it's really black inside his cage when it's covered

It could possibly be the dawn chorus

We are going to try leaving him in his day cage tonight, I'm just worried he's gonna wake my neighbours.

We did think it could possibly be us tossing and turning alot, but it's never bothered him before as he's been in our room for about 12 months ish now

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
My bird will wake up when the outdoor birds start singing and there's one species that starts up 330-4am!

I use a radio with classical music near his cage, blackout curtains on the windows, and then cover most of his cage and it seems to work well for him. He's the type to quietly start playing if I don't get up after his first query call, though - this morning I accidentally slept late and woke up to the sound of him eating his overnight pellets but otherwise hadn't heard him. That's all to say I don't know how helpful white noise or music might be for Albie but maybe try different types of music for a couple days?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Tge mockingbird start singing at 330 am here! Ugh....
You can always try not cover as some birds do better if they can see when they hear weird stuff. I have some that get night flights when covered.
Good luck

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The outside birds start singing at about 4:30. I bet he can hear them.

I’m in a small city and there are no songbirds downtown. My birds sleep in later.

Most Reactions

Latest posts