I'm having some issues with Apollo, please help.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I'm starting to question if I should rehome Apollo. She is not doing that well in the flock, she gets very overwhelmed by them very quickly. She spends a lot of time hiding on her own. SHe's not scared of them, I think she just needs a break. Right now she is sitting on the Christmas Cactus in the living room, and refusing to go back in her room.

I'm not sure how to help her anymore. Should I get her a tent? Would that help her feel more safe and secure? Should I give her a different cage? They aren't in the cage most of the time, but I'm wondering if that will make her feel more safe. I really need suggestions... should rehome her? Would she do better on her own?

I might as well mention that I noticed she was very overwhelmed by the other birds in her cage in the pet shop, even though it wasn't crowded or chaotic.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I'm starting to question if I should rehome Apollo. She is not doing that well in the flock, she gets very overwhelmed by them very quickly. She spends a lot of time hiding on her own. SHe's not scared of them, I think she just needs a break. Right now she is sitting on the Christmas Cactus in the living room, and refusing to go back in her room.

I'm not sure how to help her anymore. Should I get her a tent? Would that help her feel more safe and secure? Should I give her a different cage? They aren't in the cage most of the time, but I'm wondering if that will make her feel more safe. I really need suggestions... should rehome her? Would she do better on her own?

I might as well mention that I noticed she was very overwhelmed by the other birds in her cage in the pet shop, even though it wasn't crowded or chaotic.
I'm sorry, which bird is Apollo? How and when did you acquire him?

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I'm sorry, which bird is Apollo? How and when did you acquire him?
Apollo is my youngest bird, she is a little over 1yr old. I was expecting to get a senior bird, but I ended up with her. She was at PetSmart (where the senior bird was supposed to be), and she had been re-rehomed because her previous owner got sick and couldn't keep her. She was only a couple months old when I got her, and she does have some anxiety and trauma that's I've been trying to work through with her.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Apollo is my youngest bird, she is a little over 1yr old. I was expecting to get a senior bird, but I ended up with her. She was at PetSmart (where the senior bird was supposed to be), and she had been re-rehomed because her previous owner got sick and couldn't keep her. She was only a couple months old when I got her, and she does have some anxiety and trauma that's I've been trying to work through with her.
I just looked up her Hatchday thread. Maybe she's just a loner and would rather just have her own space. Is she tame enough for someone else to enjoy her as-is or is she pretty wild?

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
She is still out of her room. Still doesn't want to go back in. My crew is pretty rowdy, though. Maybe not the best fit for her. She seems really content on her own.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Hm. Is there anywhere you could house her besides the free roam room? I agree with you that maybe she just needs a break from the rest of the birdies.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Do you think anyone would be able to give her the one-tame-budgie-one-loving owner life she deserves or is she too nervous?
Maybe. I don't know. ALl they would need is some patience... I'd like to keep her if at all possible, though.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens
So does she like interacting with you? If she gets nervous around/interacting with you I don't see how going to a single bird home would help, or be healthy for her.

I can't help but wonder if the unbalanced flock is maybe partly responsible.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I can't help but wonder if the unbalanced flock is maybe partly responsible.
Same here. I lost my other male, Pepper, about a year ago (I think), and the flock has been a little imbalanced since then. I'm not looking to get another budgie right now, though.
So does she like interacting with you? If she gets nervous around/interacting with you I don't see how going to a single bird home would help, or be healthy for her.
I agree.

Keet_Krazy

Feb 19, 2023
Parrots
Budgies:
Obsidian (M), Snowflake (F), Sunbeam (F), Emelia (F, English), Alinta (F, Bush), Mahlee (M, Bush), Moonstone (M)
Galah:
Quarter (Not DNA'd)
Other:
Quail and Chickens

Most Reactions