I'm worried about leaving Albie next week

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
I know he's going to be safe and have company, be fed and watered when we go to Scotland, but I jystt have this horrible feeling about leaving him.

I've never left him.

I'll be leaving my mother in law a list of important contacts (vet, my mum, a friend who lives around the corner who can help if needed)

We also have a pet cam that we have on that we can veiw (mother in law loves this idea and suggested it)

I really need this break but it's so stressful leaving him for the first time.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Enjoy your holiday - you have done mammoth preparation for this and thought of everything possible. I remember you were even worried at how your MIL would prepare her meals. You have covered everything but with the best will in the world you will never believe that anyone can look after your baby as well as you. We are all exactly the same with human and feather babies.

Go to Scotland and enjoy the coming snow (or so I read yesterday :ROFLMAO: ) you will have a great time and on your return Albie will make every effort to punish you for leaving him and you will realise that he was actually fine all the time. Don't worry!!!! 😍

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I'm sure Albie will be fine! It will be a vacation of his own as well :D I see you prepared really well before the trip! And how long will you stay in Scotland?

I had the similar fears with my Pascal, I had him for only less than 3 months when I went for a holiday, and I left him with a future avian vet who also had conures, and was getting daily updates. He actually pampered my bird so much and turned him from a wild thing into a snuggle bug!

For how long will you be gone? I mean, they sure remember like elephants and might take it very personally for leaving them, but a few scritches and treats and they should be back to their old selves. My partner has a sennie who loves and adores him, but she's (the sennie) living with his mum at the moment (since originaly, it's mum's sennie!). He visits maybe once a week, once in two weeks, but the bird is always super happy to see him, and after few hours of snuggle fest, he must leave and the bird continues doing her birdie thing like nothing happened.

But we did see her behaviour change when the mum had an operation and we had to take care of the birdie for a few days. She was searching for the mum, she was in a new place, a bit agitated but still herself. After the mum came back, the sennie was her old self calm bird again in an instant.

Someone suggested facetiming your own bird - I never tried it but perhaps you might like the idea more! Or just let Albie have a vacation of his own, who knows, maybe even he needs a break xD

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
So I'm leaving Friday afternoon and coming home on the 7th so I think it's like 8 nights we are gone for.

I know he will be fine and I'm being soft, and I fully expect blood to be drawn when I return.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Start telling Albie how long you'll be gone for , use fingers to show him. Tell him several times before you leave. Trust me this helps a lot with the 'mad at you' when you return.
Always do this when I am off for business trip or for an extended show, like Fri Sat. If I forget, well OUCHIES will be had.

Cagzo

Jan 14, 2020
Media
Mid Glamorgan,South Wales,UK
Parrots
One Pineapple Conure.
Hatched late 2018.
Have a lovely time Stitch,he will be fine for a few days,they enjoy someone different now and again.
If my son stays,Connie just wants him,she knows he spoils her with too many treats!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
The first time is always the hardest. I remember the first time I left Parker at his boarding facility. I was all twisted up.

now? Bye Parker!! Enjoy your little adventure seeing new people and birdies! We view it as an enrichment experience…rightly or wrongly. We’re just not too worried about it.

It gets better😁

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Highly encourage FaceTime or Skype, technology permitting. I've been away from home frequently past few months and connected with my fids electronically. Parrots extraordinarily visual and respond quite well to your face and voice.

OP
Stitchthestitch

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Highly encourage FaceTime or Skype, technology permitting. I've been away from home frequently past few months and connected with my fids electronically. Parrots extraordinarily visual and respond quite well to your face and voice.
I plan on video calling him 😂 and I also have a nanny cam that is all set up and ready to go (was. Pre covid when we bought it when we both worked full time, now hubby is work from home and I'm 3 days a week it wasn't needed)

The freezer is now stocked with home made ready meals and we have an online shop of perishables like bread and milk coming on Thursday.

I think I'm twisting myself in knots is because it's the first time I'm leaving him and I've no idea how he's going to react.

I'm worried that if he's caged for 8 days, he's going to be so mad and hate me for it.

I really hope I don't loose our amazing relationship.

Most Reactions

Latest posts