Indian Ringneck Breeders Florida

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
I am looking for a legitimate Indian Ringneck/Alexandrine breeder a short distance from Leesburg,FL. Orlando is about an hour away.Are there anymore closer to Leesburg?Any kind,male or female whichever is less noise,I especially like the Lutino and blue color.However,I am willing to see any that may be available up to $1000.I would like to be able to see the bird in person before I make a commitment.Must be weaned,not timid,somewhat friendly,although I am willing to work on training,if necessary.I also need a cage suitable for them,along with a play gym to go beside the cage.DO NOT MENTION RESCUES AS I HAVE HAD NO LUCK WITH THEM.THEY WILL NOT CONSIDER PEOPLE WITH APARTMENTS AS THAT IS WHAT I HAVE. I HAVE SUSPICIONS OF AGE DISCRIMINATION ALSO, BUT I CANNOT PROVE IT. I prefer breeders,as I understand they take better care and wean.I will purchase a baby,BUT IT MUST ALREADY BE WEANED.I would appreciate any help you can give me,and thank you.williampatte.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Check on humane societies, and pet finder, too. As well as Craigslist.

Last edited:

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Hello, and welcome to the forums!

I’m afraid I can’t help with the age discrimination issue, but I have video that demonstrates why a rescue may be reluctant to adopt an IRN out to someone who is in an apartment:

Now, I’ve had parrots in an apartment; an Amazon and a cockatiel. However, the Amazon was much quieter than typical of his species and the cockatiel just didn’t carry far unless the windows were open. IRN have a high pitched, *piercing* call. Male or female, it’s more about the individual bird as to how loud they’ll become, but it’s not something that can be predicted especially if you’re getting a youngster!

Best of luck.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I’ve had a ringneck in an apartment. The bird was not appreciated by neighbors; the contact call is so piercing.

I think you can find parrot plus cage plus travel cage in one stop at a big pet store, but I don’t know how many breeders sell cages, too.

You are awfully specific in what you want but I am wondering why you’ve chosen this particular species.

Last edited:
OP
W

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
Thank you for your help.I spcified Ringnecks as I have been told that they are less noisy by some breeders who have replied to me.I also found out that cockatiels create dust all over.I also have a dog and my 27 yr old Senecal and so I am afraid of respiratory problems for all of us with that much dust.My Senecal is loud when I leave,but I have had no complaints. My closest neighbor is diagonally across from me and on the right and left sides are storage rooms.I live on the 4th floor.Would Indian Ringnecks carry sound to the 5th floor and third floor? I am going to a flea market to find a cage and play gym. NOT USED.ONLY BRAND NEW. I need to watch my budget also as I am only on SS. The Ringnecks are within my budget.Thank you again.If you have anymore suggestions,please post here.williampatte

OP
W

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
Thank you for your help.I spcified Ringnecks as I have been told that they are less noisy by some breeders who have replied to me.I also found out that cockatiels create dust all over.I also have a dog and my 27 yr old Senecal and so I am afraid of respiratory problems for all of us with that much dust.My Senecal is loud when I leave,but I have had no complaints. My closest neighbor is diagonally across from me and on the right and left sides are storage rooms.I live on the 4th floor.Would Indian Ringnecks carry sound to the 5th floor and third floor? I am going to a flea market to find a cage and play gym. NOT USED.ONLY BRAND NEW. I need to watch my budget also as I am only on SS. The Ringnecks are within my budget.Thank you again.If you have anymore suggestions,please post here.williampatte

OP
W

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
Which one is better?Cockatiels or IRNs?I have been looking for IRNS,but I have been unsuccesful in finding one for purchase.I like Cockatiels,but concerned about their dustiness.There are conflicting opinions about their dustiness and one breeder suggested an air filter.If there is someone on this forum who has a cockatiel,please post here about the dustiness and overall experiences with a cockatiel.Also recomended breeders of cockatiels in Florida that are legitimate and that I can trust. Also what kind of care and foods recommended.Thank you.williampatte.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
I had a tiel; I also had an air filter and that seemed to be fine. If your birds are in a fairly open area (ex- a living room/dining room combo as opposed to a bedroom) it’s really not that bad. Bathing them helps; we used a mist spray. Most parrot stores have cockatiels as a matter of course, and they’re generally very amiable and easy to handle/tame birds. There are always exceptions to the rule though.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
If you don’t have allergies or asthma a single cockatiel may be absolutely no problem for you.

I think a sweet cockatiel has a much better chance of making you a friendly fun pet than a ringneck. I think cockatiels are just less complicated. And a hand fed young cockatiel would be nice right away, not make shrill screams, not make you bleed…

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
~~~
Which one is better?Cockatiels or IRNs?I have been looking for IRNS,but I have been unsuccesful in finding one for purchase.I like Cockatiels,but concerned about their dustiness.There are conflicting opinions about their dustiness and one breeder suggested an air filter.If there is someone on this forum who has a cockatiel,please post here about the dustiness and overall experiences with a cockatiel.Also recomended breeders of cockatiels in Florida that are legitimate and that I can trust. Also what kind of care and foods recommended.Thank you.williampatte.

As far as care and food go; pellets by Harrison’s or TOPS are popular here; supplemented with fresh or frozen greens, veg, and limited fruit. We also have a forum with lots of info about food & treat options:

We also generally recommend establishing a relationship with a board certified avian veterinarian, as parrots tend to hide when they’re ill. Given that your Senegal is already nearing their 30s you might already have a vet, but if not, there’s a handy tool here for finding one near you:

I wouldn’t consider a Senegal a beginner bird, so if you’ve had success with them you may be okay with a IRN. However, you’ll have the best experience if you try to let the bird choose you! If it’s possible, try visiting local stores that carry parrots and meet their birds to get an idea of who you like and who likes you!

Who knows, you may surprise yourself and come home with a parrot you never thought you’d bond with!

OP
W

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
As far as care and food go; pellets by Harrison’s or TOPS are popular here; supplemented with fresh or frozen greens, veg, and limited fruit. We also have a forum with lots of info about food & treat options:

We also generally recommend establishing a relationship with a board certified avian veterinarian, as parrots tend to hide when they’re ill. Given that your Senegal is already nearing their 30s you might already have a vet, but if not, there’s a handy tool here for finding one near you:

I wouldn’t consider a Senegal a beginner bird, so if you’ve had success with them you may be okay with a IRN. However, you’ll have the best experience if you try to let the bird choose you! If it’s possible, try visiting local stores that carry parrots and meet their birds to get an idea of who you like and who likes you!

Who knows, you may surprise yourself and come home with a parrot you never thought you’d bond with!
Thank you for all of your information! I do not have any respiratory condition,but worry about my Boston Terrier and my Senecal. I live in a studio apt. One large room with a kitchen and bathroom.If air purifier is not needed,then no need to purchase one.I live near a pet store,but unfortunately they changed ownership,and not as good as previous owners.They do not have any cockatiels and they have no idea when they will be receiving any.There are no other stores close by to visit other than the local one.I have visited flea markets,but they have no ringnecks or tiels.I agree that the bird should choose,but nothing close by. One man at a flea market yesterday told me to never ever buy a bird online.He said they are all scams.I must be able to see a bird before purchasing one.I told him my problem of not living close to a breeder who lives close to me,he had no solution as he does not know when he will receive any tiels or ringnecks.Again,if anyone learns about a tiel or ringneck available,please post here as long as they are weaned and ready,and somewhat close to Leesburg FL. Within driving distance.Thanks again for all the help.williampatte.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Thank you for all of your information! I do not have any respiratory condition,but worry about my Boston Terrier and my Senecal. I live in a studio apt. One large room with a kitchen and bathroom.If air purifier is not needed,then no need to purchase one.I live near a pet store,but unfortunately they changed ownership,and not as good as previous owners.They do not have any cockatiels and they have no idea when they will be receiving any.There are no other stores close by to visit other than the local one.I have visited flea markets,but they have no ringnecks or tiels.I agree that the bird should choose,but nothing close by. One man at a flea market yesterday told me to never ever buy a bird online.He said they are all scams.I must be able to see a bird before purchasing one.I told him my problem of not living close to a breeder who lives close to me,he had no solution as he does not know when he will receive any tiels or ringnecks.Again,if anyone learns about a tiel or ringneck available,please post here as long as they are weaned and ready,and somewhat close to Leesburg FL. Within driving distance.Thanks again for all the help.williampatte.
Hi, I looked at craigslist under Orlando, Florida and found a number of parrots. Have you looked there?

OP
W

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
Hi, I looked at craigslist under Orlando, Florida and found a number of parrots. Have you looked there?
Do you really trust Craigslist?I have heard about a lot of scammers there.Some people there may have parrots,but why are they trying to sell them?You do not know if the parrot is ok healthwise or is that why they are trying to sell?I would not know until a vet visit,but by then the money is gone,especially if the person is not a breeder,but has had the parrot for a certain length of time. I will check though anyway to see if any listings seem to be ok.Thank you.williampatte

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree that Craigslist can be a gamble!

I think there can be some really good possibilities though if you check often. I actually got my Quaker from Craigslist - he was about 3 months old, from a great breeder, super friendly, and already knew step up (in a cute baby way). The person who had him had a Quaker before so she knew all about them and was an awesome parrot mom, she just had a circumstance where it wasn't safe to keep him so she decided to rehome him while he was still young and would have less trauma going to a new home rather than try to make it work. She even had vet visit receipt and papers from the breeder showing the parents are free of disease.

My son's partner also found her cockatiel on Craigslist - also when he was still a baby. If I remember right I think the family that had bought him from a breeder quickly realized they didn't have time for a parrot.

Sadly I suspect you'll see a lot of new parrots being rehomed after the holidays, that are legitimate posts.

I asked my person for her breeders information and researched the breeder. She even gave me the breeder's contact info in case I had more questions. And I got to meet Opie before I made a decision. So there are sure to be good ones out there :)

Regarding cockatiels, I do have severe asthma and allergies, and have had a cockatiel staying with me off and on over the years. He's dusty but it's pretty easy to keep up with cleaning, just a quick wipe down of the cage and a quick vacuum and I don't notice issues with my health. I'm also on a busy road with a frequent bus line, and under an airport flight path, so I feel like there's always dust anyway so my stick vacuum is my best friend :)

OP
W

williampatte

Nov 30, 2022
I agree that Craigslist can be a gamble!

I think there can be some really good possibilities though if you check often. I actually got my Quaker from Craigslist - he was about 3 months old, from a great breeder, super friendly, and already knew step up (in a cute baby way). The person who had him had a Quaker before so she knew all about them and was an awesome parrot mom, she just had a circumstance where it wasn't safe to keep him so she decided to rehome him while he was still young and would have less trauma going to a new home rather than try to make it work. She even had vet visit receipt and papers from the breeder showing the parents are free of disease.

My son's partner also found her cockatiel on Craigslist - also when he was still a baby. If I remember right I think the family that had bought him from a breeder quickly realized they didn't have time for a parrot.

Sadly I suspect you'll see a lot of new parrots being rehomed after the holidays, that are legitimate posts.

I asked my person for her breeders information and researched the breeder. She even gave me the breeder's contact info in case I had more questions. And I got to meet Opie before I made a decision. So there are sure to be good ones out there :)

Regarding cockatiels, I do have severe asthma and allergies, and have had a cockatiel staying with me off and on over the years. He's dusty but it's pretty easy to keep up with cleaning, just a quick wipe down of the cage and a quick vacuum and I don't notice issues with my health. I'm also on a busy road with a frequent bus line, and under an airport flight path, so I feel like there's always dust anyway so my stick vacuum is my best friend :)
I just checked them,but I did not find any that interested me.Thanks again for the info.I will check again periodically. williampatte

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I advertised for my Willow on Craigslist. He’s a great bird.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
I am looking for a legitimate Indian Ringneck/Alexandrine breeder a short distance from Leesburg,FL. Orlando is about an hour away.Are there anymore closer to Leesburg?Any kind,male or female whichever is less noise,I especially like the Lutino and blue color.However,I am willing to see any that may be available up to $1000.I would like to be able to see the bird in person before I make a commitment.Must be weaned,not timid,somewhat friendly,although I am willing to work on training,if necessary.I also need a cage suitable for them,along with a play gym to go beside the cage.DO NOT MENTION RESCUES AS I HAVE HAD NO LUCK WITH THEM.THEY WILL NOT CONSIDER PEOPLE WITH APARTMENTS AS THAT IS WHAT I HAVE. I HAVE SUSPICIONS OF AGE DISCRIMINATION ALSO, BUT I CANNOT PROVE IT. I prefer breeders,as I understand they take better care and wean.I will purchase a baby,BUT IT MUST ALREADY BE WEANED.I would appreciate any help you can give me,and thank you.williampatte.
https://floridabirdbreeders.com/ The owner's name is Jay, he will video chat with the birds with you. He is legitimate and breeds different birds.

Jobaby

Jul 4, 2022
New York
Parrots
Indian ringneck
Superb Parrot (Barraband Parakeet)
I have talked to him by phone,but he does not have the birds I am looking for currently.I know he is legitimate and will stay in touch with him.Thank you for your help.williampatte.
It's not breeding season, I assumed you knew that. I sent contact to check.

Sorry it didn't work out.

Most Reactions

Latest posts