Injured foot hasn’t healed yet

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
Hey guys, hope you are all doing well. Long story short my parrot got injured at the vet while they were trimming his nails. He was bleeding from his foot and seemed like the back of his foot was injured. After arguing the Vet assured me that it was not a big deal and that he should make a full recovery. However, it’s been 8 days since the incident, but he still refuses to put weight on his foot. Should I be worried ? He also spends a great portion of the day either resting on one foot with eyes open or sleeping. Much less active than he used to be.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
After my GCC had her first ever nail trim, she was tucking a foot for about two weeks. However for her it was not always the same foot. I eventually figured out she was just uncomfortable with the nails being shorter than normal and that's why she was doing it.

I assume he is always tucking the same foot that was injured? Does he walk on it at all or is he even refusing to walk? Is there another vet in your area you could take him to?

OP
J

Jackjoy

Oct 7, 2022
Parrots
Conure
After my GCC had her first ever nail trim, she was tucking a foot for about two weeks. However for her it was not always the same foot. I eventually figured out she was just uncomfortable with the nails being shorter than normal and that's why she was doing it.

I assume he is always tucking the same foot that was injured? Does he walk on it at all or is he even refusing to walk? Is there another vet in your area you could take him to?
For him it is a clear injury And he is rucking the same foot whenever he gets the chance. However he does walk on his injured foot from time to time. when he eats he also uses both his feet. Unfortunately the closest vet is about 2 hours drive and I dont want to put him under Any further stress given his situation.

Greenhouseparrots

Nov 27, 2022
UK
Parrots
Crimson bellied conure- Tequila
Greencheek conure- Sierra
Pearled cockatiel- Malibu
Cockatiel- Volkan
Yellow budgies- Pina Colada and Houdini
Blue budgie- Lightning
White and blue budgie- Ciroc
Awww I'm sorry to hear he isn't feeling any better. Is he eating and drinking normally? How is the injury, can you see any signs of damage now? It's good that he walks on it from time to time, and using both feet when eating is good. My budgie would try to eat standing on one foot when he hurt himself and I had to separate him and feed him separately from the others before he started recovering. 8 days isn't a long time (though it feels like it) for it to have healed and he may need a couple more days before he starts feeling better. If he's eating still and putting weight on and isn't acting too differently then I'd give it a couple more days and then take him.

Most Reactions

Latest posts