Inside of Nose (nare?) Red

Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
Hello I made a post a while back about my cockatiel Alvin, and how his cere looked, the vets advised anti biotics but I was ucnertian, another person agreed with me. He has been fine without them since, but I did notice a lot of clear liquid in his nose yesterday, and the last few days and today the inside part of the nose is red. I know the liquid can be normal, this did seem l ike an excessive amount however. He clearly has skin peeling off in there which is common with him, but the amoutn of time it is staying red seem a bit odd to me. If the inside of the nose is red would that be considered early infection? I have anti biotics here that are only 2 months old and i've been told by the vet they will last at least 3 months. I just want to make sure I get it early if it is, as he has had 2 already in 10 months, and we don't know why, we keep hm very clean but he is 22. So would the inside part of the nose being red be a red flag to anyone here? His Cere has not got the usual pink or redness acoompanied by an infection and the hole size seems fine right now.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Wait! You went to a Vet and the Vet recommended Antibiotics, which you got and then talked to "someone' and the both of you decided not to give them to your Parrot! Right?

So, now your Parrot has a liquid in is nose and your asking if now would be a good time to provide the medication?

For, me I would have taken the advice of the Vet and provided the meds then. Seems that you should ask your "someone" as why should you believe me?

Not being mean, but!

OP
C
Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
Wait! You went to a Vet and the Vet recommended Antibiotics, which you got and then talked to "someone' and the both of you decided not to give them to your Parrot! Right?

So, now your Parrot has a liquid in is nose and your asking if now would be a good time to provide the medication?

For, me I would have taken the advice of the Vet and provided the meds then. Seems that you should ask your "someone" as why should you believe me?

Not being mean, but!

No you completely misunderstood me entirely that is not what happened. I sent a picture to the vets and they said it looked ok but woudl send some meds. His nose then had 0 discharge but got abit more enlarged and red. However it did not scream infected to me, the vet set to give the anti biotics anyway 2 months ago, but lookign at the nose and from experience of his past 2 infections it was not infected to my and the other users eye. So I have not. He had some clear liquid in his nose yesterday, MONTHS later, which can be normal, but the volume seemed a bit much. And now today and the last few days the inside of the nose is a bit red, but the outside is not at all, it is not enlarged, he is not shaking his head, he has had no discharge today and it is not red like all other infections. I have also just checked on him and why the nare hoel has changed alittle bit in size I can see feather dust from inside his nose being blown in and out indicating a clear nasal pathway.

He has suffered from dry cere's and nares from the past few months.

Last edited:

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
I remember this case, a cockatiel who had rinoliths before, and is very prone to these infections, or simple inflamations which isn't necessarily caused by a bacteria, vet prescribed antibiotics as a pre-caution, not seeing the bird.

Please if you can rather take the bird to the vet for a new check up. Since the poor bird was already on antibiotics before, a swab should be done to see what exactly is causing these inflamations/infections so often, and see if the bird's nares need to be clean again.

OP
C
Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
Hi,

I only took him about 4 months ago, and we did have a swab done pre anti biotics the last tiem he 100% had an infeciton and it came back "normal". So i'm not really convinced a swab would help, as there's no way the last swab should have come back "normal"

OP
C
Oct 13, 2021
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
For the record this is how it looks right now, which is why I am not convinced it is an infection, and was asking about a red inner nostril and dry skin. No discharge today, has a clear nasal pathway, and as you can see the cere is not red. He's also not frequently sneezing. It's a bit larger than the other nostril due to all the issues he has had, this size is actually normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20211104_170833.jpg
    IMG_20211104_170833.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20211104_170826.jpg
    IMG_20211104_170826.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 88

Most Reactions

Latest posts