Internal bleeding

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
I would wait on treating the rest of your flock until they are ill.

There is a possibility of the pathogens developing resistance to the medicine if given too early. When they start to show illness is when you could try treating them.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I would wait on treating the rest of your flock until they are ill.

There is a possibility of the pathogens developing resistance to the medicine if given too early. When they start to show illness is when you could try treating them.
Okay, thank you! :)

4 way borbs

Sep 26, 2023
Media
Waukee Iowa USA
Parrots
Smokey | Athracite parakeet
Sky | cobalt, albino, yellow parakeet
Andy | Green texas clearwater
This is so scary!! Have you checked her vent? The pic that you posted doesn't even seem to be mixed with bird poop, so I'm wondering if she has an abrasion or sore on or around her cloaca.

When I think internal bleeding blood in poop, I think bird poop that still mostly looks like bird poop but it's tar black (either the whole poop or a part of it). That said I've never had a bird experience internal bleeding so I could be wrong. Either way, if you have a specific vet that you go to and have a relationship with, maybe call them and ask if one of their doctors can look at this photo and tell you what they think?? I do that often with my vet (soon they're going to block my email address probably, haha).
not to be a critic or anything but if you think what your talking about is dysentery but idk about this kind of stuff.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
in my opinion, that looks too red to be internally bleeding. is there a chance she had a strawberry or raspberry? maybe a toy with some dyed wood? a pellet of a darker color? my conure gets crazy red poops like this when he eats cherries and raspberries. just my two cents! I hope you and your bird are okay. :)

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
in my opinion, that looks too red to be internally bleeding. is there a chance she had a strawberry or raspberry? maybe a toy with some dyed wood? a pellet of a darker color? my conure gets crazy red poops like this when he eats cherries and raspberries. just my two cents! I hope you and your bird are okay. :)
Nope, she had nothing red in her cage or food, which is why I was concerned. It's dissapeared now so I think she had a minor injury in her vent area. She's doing a bit better now, still sick though. Thanks for asking :]
How is Sunny doing now?
She's a bit better now, she gained a bit of weight although she is still underweight. She's more active which is good

Most Reactions

Latest posts