International Travel Hell: From Microchips to Pet Passports to Heat Limits

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Oh. My. Gosh. I had no idea how HARD it is to take your bird overseas!!! My poor baby Sammy had to get MICROCHIPPED last week because they require permanent identification for a Pet Passport and he is not banded or tattooed. I thought I was going to puke just imagining it, I was teary eyed all day of the "operation"... And then it was over in like fifteen minutes, Sammy acted like it hadn't even happen, and everything was totally fine. For some reason I thought having a rice sized piece of hardware injected in his chest muscle would actually phase him, but apparently he don't give a rip. He was a little "drunk" after the anesthesia (see picture below), but after about an hour he was his normal self.

So then I started researching travel options. There are only a few airlines that fly to the bay Islands, and you can only fly birds are cargo planes... Unfortunately, they won't allow birds to fly in cargo if the temperature is over 85 degrees. I am leaving August 1st and it is ALWAYS above 85 degrees in Texas in the summer! I am still trying to get ahold of the airline to see if maybe I ship him super early in the morning (before it gets hot) that he can go. The flight is only three hours. He will have to come AFTER I leave because he cannot fly on the same plane as I am (AA does not allow birds even in cargo on passenger planes), so my parents will have to ship him for me.

drunksam_zpsbqwcw8zy.jpg

At this point I am tearing out my hair, but I am determined to get my baby over there with me. I can't imagine being without his bossy butt. I have now contacted some pet transport services recommended by my avian vet and am waiting for an estimate. There is a lot to take into account, like the fact that there is no airport on the island where I will be living and he will have to arrive on another island or on mainland Honduras. Hopefully the pet service will be able to make this happen.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Sometimes, some airlines will allow a bird that small to come with you in the cabin as a "carry on" item. (For a fee of course!)

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Yeah, I called American Airlines and they said they won't ship anything but dogs and cats. :( Delta will ship birds but only in cargo. I wish I could just hide him in my carryon, LOL! It sure would make everything easier! Or get my psychiatrist to list him as a service animal. But I don't think that gonna happen!

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Okay, I am REALLY pissed at airvets.com. This is what they replied to me about importing my bird:

After talking to several vets and checking with several airlines we work with. The Honduran Authorities are saying it is not possible to import/export any type of birds to Honduras.

I think that they just realized how hard it would be and lied to say it was impossible, because I already know for a FACT that you can import birds--I know someone who has done it as well as the vet who helped her do it. He is drawing up the papers for me. I think these people just didn't want to do their homework once they realized how tough it is to get a bird to a small island and shot me back this response--one that would really upset someone who hadn't done their homework. I have been on both the US' and Honduras' government sites and pet birds absolutely ARE allowed. I am really annoyed at this company.

Sambamama

Dec 29, 2012
T
Parrots
M
Are you flying directly to the island?

Can you fly into a friendlier country and then transport him with you over the border? I need to know who microchipped him... I may be taking my macaw to Costa Rica. He needs a chip too, but I have not done it yet.

Or perhaps you can arrive in a Honduran mainland airport, assuming Tegucigalpa and not San Pedro Sula, and then land travel to a port that can allow you water transport you to the island?

Last edited:

Sambamama

Dec 29, 2012
T
Parrots
M
And by the way, I already know that once my bird enters the country that he can never, ever leave. So if I take my feathered guy it's because we are moving back permanently.

I would wonder if Honduras is the same? It's easy to get them out of USAa, tough to get them accepted in the foreign country, and impossible to repatriate them. Dogs and cats are no problem to shuttle back and forth.....

OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Nope it is not impossible from the US side of things--he can leave. What you have to do us get a Pet Passport for your bird NOT an export pass. A Pet Passport takes more leg work to get, but it allows your bird to return home with you. Unless you are talking about the Costa Rican side if things, if you get a Pet Passport then he can return to the US. Honduras allows pet birds to leave if they have the Pet Passport showing you brought them to the country to begin with. Contact Fish and Wildlife for more info and DO NOT fill out the export form instead of the Pet Passport or you probably won't be able to get him back out. Also make sure they put an ISO ten digit microchip in your bird. I just realized they put the American chip in mine so I have to buy a scanner that can read it. I also found that United has no heat limits because their areas are climate controlled and they fly cargo pets to San Pedro Sula. So everything is working out!

Last edited:
OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Did I mention that even though I told the vet why he was getting microchipped that she didn't bother to tell me they don't put the international "euro" chip? So now I may have to buy a $350 scanner. I am really annoyed because she KNEW why I was chipping him. Right now I am trying to get my money back for the semi useless chip.

Last edited:
OP
Puck

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
Great. He has to be microchipped again. :(

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Oh gosh Michelle, I'm so sorry this is such a big headache. I imagined it would be though. You and Sammy will get through this all!! Hang in there!

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
I'm terrified of all of this if we ever have to move overseas.

Fingers crossed for you two!

Solo

Feb 24, 2015
Wichita,KS
Parrots
Shamrock Macaw
Phoebe has an appointment for a chip in a week and a half. Glad to hear its not a huge ordeal for them. She's not banded or tattooed..I didn't know theyd tat birds (though my dog is).

Aug 23, 2012
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Once they have all the necessary paperwork, is it easy to travel internationally? Or do you need to go through the headache every time you travel? All of this seems so overwhelming. Does anyone travel with their parrot regularly?

June2012

Apr 12, 2015
Southern California
Parrots
Still on that mission, but looking for my mushy! <3
Yeah, I called American Airlines and they said they won't ship anything but dogs and cats. :( Delta will ship birds but only in cargo. I wish I could just hide him in my carryon, LOL! It sure would make everything easier! Or get my psychiatrist to list him as a service animal. But I don't think that gonna happen!

He can be an Emotional Support Animal and must go on the plane with you if you bring a doctor's note. My sister brought her Schanuzer on her lap from California to Korea as an ESA. She paid someone $350 for a note and they said nothing, she was instantly let on. (With required papers of course, such as testing for rabies, etc.)

I believe instead of going the service animal route, you can say he's your emotional support animal.

A service animal is an animal that helps you with your disability, such as being trained to perform actions for you. An emotional support animal is an animal that helps you with your disability, but hasn't been trained.

Service animal: For someone deaf, the dog can wake that person up in case of a siren.
Emotional support animal: For someone with depression (and can feel lonely or needs emotional support) or anxiety (is fearful of going outside), being with their ESA helps them go out. The ESA has not been trained to do anything, other than what the owner wants. It is the mere action of being together is what helps them.

A little confusing, but you shouldn't have much of a problem I believe. They also train their staff to not ask too many questions as it is an invasion of privacy, and the company can be sued for such. (There's an article on this somewhere on the Interwebs... I'll have to find it!)

Hope you travel to Honduras safely, by the way. :)

Most Reactions