Introducing a 'NEW' cage for travel

mango_&_sunny

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Fischer's Lovebirds
Hi Everyone! I am new to the Parrot world. We became 'Parronts' to a Fischer's Lovebird on 21 May this year. Mango was not hand-raised but we are slowing bonding through target training and trick training. He loves Millet so that helps a great deal too!! We do not have any family close by or friends we could rely on to look after our Mango when we go away. So it looks like we will take Mango with us most of the time for shorter trips. We have recently introduced a smaller cage (about 45cm w x 40 d x 50 h) for our bird to eat dinner and sleep in so that when we are away he will be used to using that cage. During the day he has free access to this cage and his usual cage which is much larger. (His primary cage is way too big to put in the car so we have had to find something a lot more practical in size). My concern is that he will go into the 'NEW' cage during the day but we kind of have to coax him in there (even when his dinner is in there) of a night. We successfully got him in there again tonight but he constantly tries to find a way out and is not 'settled'. I suppose we need more time. We have successfully put him to bed in the smaller cage 3 times (that includes tonight). Should I be concerned that it will affect our bond seeing as he appears to not be entirely comfortable with the idea of sleeping in it. We really want him to be comfortable with the different cages so that travel with him will be easier. Plus, we want our bird to be adaptable. We appreciate that these things take time. Anyone have experience with this and getting their bird used to another cage?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Just do it slowly, with a lot of treats and verbal praise. Pay attention to his body language and let him out if he seems uncomfortable, and offer a treat for any progress.
Do sessions multiple times a day, but don't force him to live in his travel cage without access to play stands, his normal cage, etc.
It takes patience, so don't give up, either. Behave in a mature and gentle manner and you will get there :)

OP
M

mango_&_sunny

Nov 14, 2021
Parrots
Fischer's Lovebirds
Just do it slowly, with a lot of treats and verbal praise. Pay attention to his body language and let him out if he seems uncomfortable, and offer a treat for any progress.
Do sessions multiple times a day, but don't force him to live in his travel cage without access to play stands, his normal cage, etc.
It takes patience, so don't give up, either. Behave in a mature and gentle manner and you will get there :)
Thank you for your reply. Great tips. We definitely would not leave him without his toys and perches/stands. His normal cage may have to be left at home though when we travel as it is way too big to take with us. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts